Sponsored

How long from ordering (in Jan 2021) until a VIN is created?

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
I ordered my truck on 1/16/21. Retail priority code of 10. Anyone know about how long it takes for a VIN to be created recently (obviously pre-orders from before the trucks were in production would have taken longer)? Would like to be able to monitor the status of my truck without having to call/email the dealership. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

N1TJ

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 - Oxford White
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller • USAF Veteran
I ordered on 1/19/21 and have already received a VIN. I'd imagine you already have one or it's coming very soon!

My dealer sent a screenshot of his tracker which says "scheduled" and shows a dealer ETA of 2/22. I'm not seeing this on the Ford website tracker so I'm still a bit skeptical of that ETA and believe it may be a build date vs an actual delivery date in PA.

F-150Tyler
1FTFW1E81MFB06277​
SCHEDULED​
02/22​
R002​
W1E​
501A​
E7​
HB​
2021​

OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
I ordered on 1/19/21 and have already received a VIN. I'd imagine you already have one or it's coming very soon!

My dealer sent a screenshot of his tracker which says "scheduled" and shows a dealer ETA of 2/22. I'm not seeing this on the Ford website tracker so I'm still a bit skeptical of that ETA and believe it may be a build date vs an actual delivery date in PA.
Awesome thanks. I'll contact them and see if they see a VIN yet.

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Nice!! I ordered January 4th and my dealer said Ford hasn’t even accepted order yet.

Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Also depends a lot on allocations if you're dealer still has any it will be quicker. My 2nd order on 1/13/21, emailed on 1/16/21 to ask to add tow mirrors but he came back with too late got a VIN.

But now even with a VIN, there are now parts issues from Max Tow, Twin Panel moon roof, work surface....and so on. I have every option that's not available or on short supply to since the last update.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Order placed Jan 11th and had the VIN 14 days later.

Blue Cane.

First Name
Rigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retail
I placed my order back in Aug-28 got a vin# two weeks ago. Production schedule for Feb-22. I feel like FORD screwed up on mine.

Blue Cane.

First Name
Rigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retail
I almost went down to the Toyota dealer to buy a Tundra but my wife convinced me just to wait a few more months. It SUCKS! Having to wait this long and seeing all the post with pics of orders that were place after mine and still no truck. Happy for those of you that have received your Truck!

Sponsored

Broccoli Rob

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid
I placed my order 1/13/21 and when I contacted my dealer on the 21st, he said the order had been pulled by Ford on the 16th and included my VIN in his message

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Placed order 7 Jan, called dealer on 21 Jan and they had my VIN and a build date of 1 February. Window sticker showed up yesterday and blend is 3 Feb.
Orders have really sped up this month. When I placed my order I was thinking truck would arrive in April.

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
  • Ford Supercab XLT, 301A, FX 4x4, Max Tow, Max Payload, 8' bed.
  • My order was confirmed 9-7-2020. I don't know when the VIN showed up on the tracking site and it really dosen't mean anything other than the order has been confirmed.
  • Dealer screen showed a Scheduled Production Week of (Week of Feb-01-2021). This is only visible to the dealer.
  • Status changed to "Scheduled for Production" today, 1-28-2021, and the window sticker was added to the status screen.
  • Next status is "Built". From what I understand this is a 1 to 2 week process. We'll see.
  • Shipped N/A
  • Delivery Est. N/A. I believe I read somewhere on the Ford site this could be 4 - 6 weeks.
  • It's been a very, very long wait. Could have been caused by the max payload package. Truck is setup for max tow, max payload, 4x4, 8' bed. I understand Ford likes to "bundle" their production runs.
  • I'll update when I get the latest dealer screen shot.
  • NOTE: If you want towing mirrors, you must special order them. They do not come with the towing package. Probably an EPA MPG thing.
  • NOTE: You can only get the Max Payload Package up to the XLT 301A. Drove me crazy because it would keep disappearing from the configurator when I tried to upgrade the package.
UPDATE
I was just checking my timeline for my order. I ordered thru Costco and received a call from Penske Ford in San Diego who was very responsive. Salesman says he can not give me a bottom price until truck has been manufactured because of changing incentives. But the price so far is "Dealer Invoice". I sent him a text that I didn't expect any dealer upcharges. We'll see.

• 08-27-2020. Told dealer to submit order. Dealer say no deposite needed.
  • 10-15-2020. Dealer contacts Ford Rep. Says retail orders do not get scheduled until it is "OK to BUY" which was mid November. First orders go to dealers. Sales speak is that they want to work out all production bugs first before they manufacture custom orders. Yea right! But who knows, it may be a true alternate fact!
  • 12-01-2020. Dealer responds that Ford finally picked up the order and generated a VIN (he has been checking every few days). Interesting the tracking site says "order accepted" on 09/07/2020 with a status of Unscheduled-Clean. What the hell?
  • 12-01-2020. Status now shows "Scheduled to Week (Week of Feb-01-2021)". That means the the VIN is not generated until it has been slotted for manufacture. Note the two month delay.
  • 01-29-2021. Window sticker link posted on customer tracking site. Probably means dealer now has a invoice so we can work out a final price. Tracking site now shows "Scheduled for Production".
  • More updates to come as I receive them. I am so ready for this to come to an end!

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I ordered my truck on 1/16/21. Retail priority code of 10. Anyone know about how long it takes for a VIN to be created recently (obviously pre-orders from before the trucks were in production would have taken longer)? Would like to be able to monitor the status of my truck without having to call/email the dealership. Thanks for any help!
I believe the VIN will be generated when the order is accepted. This is what the dealer screen displays. You will not see it on the customer tracking site.

Ford F-150 How long from ordering (in Jan 2021) until a VIN is created? Dealer Order Screen

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired

F-150Tyler
1FTFW1E81MFB06277​
SCHEDULED​
02/22​
R002​
W1E​
501A​
E7​
HB​
2021​
I believe that means the truck is scheduled to be manufactured during the week of 02-22-2021. Is the window sticker posted to your customer tracking site? If not, it's still in "Order Accepted Status". Mine just changed to "Scheduled for Production" status and the window sticker link was just posted.
Sponsored