First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
An EE has to follow electrical code! It’s clearly stated in the NEC that an electrical service must have only one grounding point. The Powerboost is its own electrical service. Which is one of the reasons the house ground must be separated from the truck ground.

People can state work around that are ok until someone gets killed or hurt. We spend many thousands of dollars on these trucks and then try to cheap out on a correct electrical install? We don‘t want to take the recommendations of licensed professionals with decades of experience? Where is the logic?
But a few random people on the Internet said removing the ground was perfectly fine 🙄
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
An EE has to follow electrical code! It’s clearly stated in the NEC that an electrical service must have only one grounding point. The Powerboost is its own electrical service. Which is one of the reasons the house ground must be separated from the truck ground.

People can state work around that are ok until someone gets killed or hurt. We spend many thousands of dollars on these trucks and then try to cheap out on a correct electrical install? We don‘t want to take the recommendations of licensed professionals with decades of experience? Where is the logic?
It's not always about being cheap. I can see how a transfer switch can easily work in a house with only a single panel 200A service. Not so easy in a house like ours with a 400A service, 200A sub panel for the back side of the house, 90A sub panel for my workshop and a 100A sub panel for ev charging.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
It's not always about being cheap. I can see how a transfer switch can easily work in a house with only a single panel 200A service. Not so easy in a house like ours with a 400A service, 200A sub panel for the back side of the house, 90A sub panel for my workshop and a 100A sub panel for ev charging.
The 30 amps supplied by the Powerboost is not enough power for your situation

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
The 30 amps supplied by the Powerboost is not enough power for your situation
It has worked great for me on several occasions including the 6 days we lost power early this year. It ran both gas furnaces, two refrigerators, all lightening, TV's, cappuccino maker etc. Agree, would not be enough for two AC units during the summer or charing the Tesla but it was a life saver for those 6 days! Even went over to a friends house after our power returned to power his furnaces to warm up his house.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Good video! I’ll send it to my electrician and see what he thinks. Seems like a fairly straightforward fix.
Won't work. Don't make a dedicated ground rod for the truck like the vid (it'll likely still trip, while not offering any benefit). It doesn't take much to trip the truck's breaker. The HVDC side of the truck is wholly isolated. The -12 of the truck is connected to the frame in typical fashion, as is the AC inverter's ground. They're not bonded like a traditional generator in that the GFI is watching the ground (aka the frame).

Best practice regardless of regulation is to leave the ground from the truck in-tact only isolating it as close to the panel (even floated in the panel itself where the interlock is contained). That leaves in place the redundant return and GFI functionality up to the panel where GFI breakers take over that task.

Sponsored

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
Won't work. Don't make a dedicated ground rod for the truck like the vid (it'll likely still trip, while not offering any benefit). It doesn't take much to trip the truck's breaker. The HVDC side of the truck is wholly isolated. The -12 of the truck is connected to the frame in typical fashion, as is the AC inverter's ground. They're not bonded like a traditional generator in that the GFI is watching the ground (aka the frame).

Best practice regardless of regulation is to leave the ground from the truck in-tact only isolating it as close to the panel (even floated in the panel itself where the interlock is contained). That leaves in place the redundant return and GFI functionality up to the panel where GFI breakers take over that task.
Will it matter if the ground is floated in the receptacle vs floated in the panel?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will it matter if the ground is floated in the receptacle vs floated in the panel?
Personally I retain as much of the truck's GFI protection as plausible. Make sure the plug receptacle is properly labeled "Isolated ground" or similar. Keep the truck's protection on the cord itself. Make a note at the interlock referencing that fact too. Another option for floating the ground is a physical disconnect device like ACs and water heaters use so that the ground can be connected if situations dictate. You don't want to be fiddling with something like that when it's needed. Ground that box to the generator side as it cannot be energized without the interlock in place. Label, label, and label.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
"Won't work. Don't make a dedicated ground rod for the truck like the vid (it'll likely still trip, while not offering any benefit). It doesn't take much to trip the truck's breaker. The HVDC side of the truck is wholly isolated. The -12 of the truck is connected to the frame in typical fashion, as is the AC inverter's ground. They're not bonded like a traditional generator in that the GFI is watching the ground (aka the frame)."

Well, but it does work. I set up and ran a test. Works just fine.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Won't work. Don't make a dedicated ground rod for the truck like the vid (it'll likely still trip, while not offering any benefit). It doesn't take much to trip the truck's breaker. The HVDC side of the truck is wholly isolated. The -12 of the truck is connected to the frame in typical fashion, as is the AC inverter's ground. They're not bonded like a traditional generator in that the GFI is watching the ground (aka the frame)."

Well, but it does work. I set up and ran a test. Works just fine.
The issue comes when soil conductivity changes and you're using the neutral. Current only flows on the neutral when there's an imbalance on the legs. Powers up one time and works continuously aren't synonymous. The earth is a poor conductor, but one nonetheless -- its conductivity locally changes based on variables, moisture content in particular. When current on the neutral increases, so too does the current flowing between ground rods. The presence of lighting can also cause phantom tripping.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The issue comes when soil conductivity changes and you're using the neutral. Current only flows on the neutral when there's an imbalance on the legs. Powers up one time and works continuously aren't synonymous. The earth is a poor conductor, but one nonetheless -- its conductivity locally changes based on variables, moisture content in particular. When current on the neutral increases, so too does the current flowing between ground rods. The presence of lighting can also cause phantom tripping.
You're always using the neutral, its the return path for current coming down the hot wire(s). Should the loads on the two hot wires be perfectly balanced then maybe, just maybe, the neutral wouldn't have anything flowing... But that'll only happen once in a blue moon. The earth isn't a bad conductor. If you go back to the days of telegraphy, they ran only one wire and the return was through the earth. In this case the earth gound electrode serves to ensure that the sources have a common reference. Your statement about "won't work" is just wrong...

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're always using the neutral, its the return path for current coming down the hot wire(s). Should the loads on the two hot wires be perfectly balanced then maybe, just maybe, the neutral wouldn't have anything flowing... But that'll only happen once in a blue moon. The earth isn't a bad conductor. If you go back to the days of telegraphy, they ran only one wire and the return was through the earth. In this case the earth gound electrode serves to ensure that the sources have a common reference. Your statement about "won't work" is just wrong...
In this instance it's go or no-go, and "won't work" is a no-go because it will nuisance trip while not actually providing any benefit at all. The neutral carries the delta of the unbalanced current. The more current on the neutral, the more current flowing between the ground rods. If you have 10 devices on leg 1 pulling 25a, and 2 devices on leg 2 pulling 24a the flow on the neutral is 1 amp, aka the delta. There's also a miniscule amount of current flowing between the ground rods because both neutrals are bonded. The amount of current flowing depends on the resistance which is determined by many variables. When the current between the ground rods reaches at most .005a, it will trip, but can trip below that point.

If both devices on leg 2 shut off, the current on neutral jumps to the full 25a (less the current flowing between the grounding systems) and will trip the truck. Something like a microwave, refer, or AC compressor - or other motor starting, is enough to trip it. Leave it connected just like you have it and make it really difficult to float it. Maybe you'll even forget about this information and you can deal with the fun of continual nuisance trips. :)

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I cut my ground also. I don't care about code. How about them apples? At what point
Does this become unsafe? What has to go bad to cause injury?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 How I prepared my house for a power outage w/ my Powerboost 1680950026713

Aww shucks, he blocked me. I was looking forward to future reports of random tripping because he didn't understand how split phase power systems worked in regards to the neutral.

I cut my ground also. I don't care about code. How about them apples? At what point
Does this become unsafe? What has to go bad to cause injury?
I've asked others the same information but they only defer to code.

The risk is the cord itself. It could be caught by a snow blower, shovel, mower, etc...
The truck can't become energized due to the nature of its GFI breaker and the frame being ground. Outside of that, it acts the same as utility albeit with less amperage behind it. All other functions are present and the structures GFI breakers and similar function as they should. The safest method is to have all 4 conductors run into the panel itself, where N/G bond occurs and float the ground there by having it on an insulated conductor with wire nut on it.

Last edited:

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
But a few random people on the Internet said removing the ground was perfectly fine 🙄
Everyone here are random people from the internet.
Sponsored