how hot is too hot for the powerboost

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
I tow frequently and have been in situations where the uphill grade is >6% and the RPMs are screaming (5k) to keep pace with the 60mph speed. When doing so, I've seen my engine temp touch 242 degrees in temp. Question is how long/hot is too hot where I'll be one of those guys pulled over on the side of the road with a hood up? I pull a 7500lb travel trailer.
Sponsored

Rc01

First Name
Rc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Following...
My temp guage was in the middle (didn't check actual temp) but I got a notification stating the temp was getting hot. Luckily I was at my destination.

I was towing about 7000 lbs maintaining 60mph on 6-7% grades.

OP
OP
azDcab21

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
What octane?

also I would think the motor would chug the best at 4200rpm based on the power curve
I'm cheap. I run 87 most times with no signs of knocking. Turbos don't seem to mind. But again not sure how long I can let the hamsters sprint before they up and quit.

OP
OP
azDcab21

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
Following...
My temp guage was in the middle (didn't check actual temp) but I got a notification stating the temp was getting hot. Luckily I was at my destination.

I was towing about 7000 lbs maintaining 60mph on 6-7% grades.
the temp doesn't show till it hits around 225 unless you forscan it to show all the time. At least that is what I've seen.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Pretty sure Ford states in the owners manual to use "premium" when towing.

I'm not saying it would make much difference when it comes to the heat dumped into the coolant loop from long sustained boost towing up a steep grade.

That's been the Achilles heal for the 3.5 Ecoboost since 2011. Although the engine management and failsafe logic has been improved.

Locking out gears to substitute rpms for boost has been a good strategy used by those with Ecoboost towing experience, but like mentioned above, 5000rpms might be a little higher than I would choose.

Sometimes all you can do is slow down a bit and let it shed some heat from the coolant loop. High 240's is close to hitting limp mode, and then you'll slow down anyway. :)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I'm cheap. I run 87 most times with no signs of knocking. Turbos don't seem to mind. But again not sure how long I can let the hamsters sprint before they up and quit.
I would run 91 or 93. That high of rpm’s might be a symptom of the knock sensor protecting you and pulling power. I’m not sure how much of a difference in heat it’ll make, but there’s that.

242 for a long time might start to concern me. If it gets up there and then drops back to mid 230s and stays, probably okay. Power Will be reduced by the ECU at 245 to bring the temps back down.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I don't have my F150 yet, but I've towed a 6500lb trailer through the southwest (CA, AZ, NV, UT, NM, TX) throughout the summer with my 2015 Expedition (which is also a 3.5 ecoboost). I always paid attention to the temperature of the engine and the transmission, and never saw it get above the "normal" rating. Although, we were touring and made a habit of stopping every few hours to see the scenery (and for gas), so that may have given it enough of a break to keep it from being a problem.

OP
OP
azDcab21

azDcab21

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost/FX4
I would run 91 or 93. That high of rpm’s might be a symptom of the knock sensor protecting you and pulling power. I’m not sure how much of a difference in heat it’ll make, but there’s that.

242 for a long time might start to concern me. If it gets up there and then drops back to mid 230s and stays, probably okay. Power Will be reduced by the ECU at 245 to bring the temps back down.
Temps always drop below 225 after the long sustained climbs. The engine temp will never stay at above 230 for more then 5-10 mins or so until we hit the top then the temps drops down to normal. Trans temp has never gotten hot enough to display a temp. Assuming that its behavior is similar to the engine temp that as it hits some upper limit the temp value gets displayed. I have not used forscan to display the temps.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Temps always drop below 225 after the long sustained climbs. The engine temp will never stay at above 230 for more then 5-10 mins or so until we hit the top then the temps drops down to normal. Trans temp has never gotten hot enough to display a temp. Assuming that its behavior is similar to the engine temp that as it hits some upper limit the temp value gets displayed. I have not used forscan to display the temps.
I'd run 93 and drop it down to 50 mph myself. But it's your engine. 93 helps the motor make better power longer as it doesn't have to pull timing as quickly and should also help with pulling power (every 10-15 HP helps)

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Pretty sure Ford states in the owners manual to use "premium" when towing.

I'm not saying it would make much difference when it comes to the heat dumped into the coolant loop from long sustained boost towing up a steep grade.

That's been the Achilles heal for the 3.5 Ecoboost since 2011. Although the engine management and failsafe logic has been improved.

Locking out gears to substitute rpms for boost has been a good strategy used by those with Ecoboost towing experience, but like mentioned above, 5000rpms might be a little higher than I would choose.

Sometimes all you can do is slow down a bit and let it shed some heat from the coolant loop. High 240's is close to hitting limp mode, and then you'll slow down anyway. :)
yes sir

rpms will help the eco alot
i towed real heavy with my 16 expedition with eco 4x4 3.73 gears so rpms were up a bit at highway speeds, she usually ran 212-220 ish if it was near 100 outside.

have not towed anything heavier than 1800lbs yet with new truck.

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
I typically use premium fuel in my vehicles. But I always use it in forced induction engines. ALWAYS. Even when gas prices have been stupid high. But far as the OP’s question, I’d back it down. 5k at 60mph is working it pretty hard.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
owners manual states 91 octane minimum recommended for towing.
Sponsored