Sponsored

How does one get the manuals and wiring diagrams and parts diagrams?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I know the days of paper manuals are long gone. Looks like with the $21.95 72 hour subscription to the motorcraft site I can see the manuals both service and wiring diagrams?

Are the manuals then available via chrome browswer? Is the manual 'on the fly vin based' or is it just year and model? I have a vin but it in the process of being built so I cant use vin to look up parts so if vin is used I will wait.

I have some mod planed for items I had to remove from build to get built so I wanted to get in the manual early

What about a decent parts digram? I know you can go to fords parts site, enter vin and some keywords but the part numbers I see when I look at things like 350 camera diagram appear to be partial part numbers.
THANKS...
Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I know you can go to fords parts site, enter vin and some keywords but the part numbers I see when I look at things like 350 camera diagram appear to be partial part numbers.
THANKS...
I am yet to see any good, detailed, diagram in any "ford parts site".
In my experience, nothing beats Honda Parts sites, you get free access to all diagrams with parts numbers. Sometimes it's hard to find what you look for, it is under a category/sub-category that doesn't make sense to you, but it's there. All parts. Could be that other manufacturers have the same accessibility, I am just not familiar with anything other than Honda. Ford is decades behind in this matter.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I know the days of paper manuals are long gone. Looks like with the $21.95 72 hour subscription to the motorcraft site I can see the manuals both service and wiring diagrams?

Are the manuals then available via chrome browswer? Is the manual 'on the fly vin based' or is it just year and model? I have a vin but it in the process of being built so I cant use vin to look up parts so if vin is used I will wait.

I have some mod planed for items I had to remove from build to get built so I wanted to get in the manual early

What about a decent parts digram? I know you can go to fords parts site, enter vin and some keywords but the part numbers I see when I look at things like 350 camera diagram appear to be partial part numbers.
THANKS...
Ford Factory Manuals can be purchased here Service manual is CD / Wiring diagrams can still be purchased in printed format.

Owner Manuals, Service Manuals, Wiring Diagrams, Service Bulletins - Helm Incorporated

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Unfortunately, for the '23, they are not available yet. I am on Helm's email notification list as soon as they become available.
Yes, I had the same issue in 2021 with the 2021 manuals... They did eventually notify me.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
With this subscription you can see both service manuals and wiring diagrams with hyperlinks to all connector details. Same with the DVD from Helm (if available at all for your year).

The subscription service can be filtered by broad Model / Year or can be filtered by narrow VIN; if you enter your VIN you'll also have access to certain VIN-specific data on Ford's OASIS database for your vehicle. You can switch back-and-forth between MY and VIN filtering during your subscription. The Helm DVD covers the model year, does not offer filter by VIN.

Neither the subscription nor the Helm DVD include parts lists, part numbers (with a few rare exceptions like references to some wiring connector repair pigtails), or exploded parts diagrams as seen on parts-ordering websites (aka 'parts fiche')

Both the subscription and the Helm DVD must run under a WIndows 10 (or later) OS environment, I can't comment on what that means relative to Chromebook.

Another alternative is reviewed / compared to the subscription service here: Factory-Manuals.com product review Though VIN-filtered and less user-friendly than either the subscription or the Helm DVD, being a PDF it'll run on most anything.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
With this subscription you can see both service manuals and wiring diagrams with hyperlinks to all connector details. Same with the DVD from Helm (if available at all for your year).

The subscription service can be filtered by broad Model / Year or can be filtered by narrow VIN; if you enter your VIN you'll also have access to certain VIN-specific data on Ford's OASIS database for your vehicle. You can switch back-and-forth between MY and VIN filtering during your subscription. The Helm DVD covers the model year, does not offer filter by VIN.

Neither the subscription nor the Helm DVD include parts lists, part numbers (with a few rare exceptions like references to some wiring connector repair pigtails), or exploded parts diagrams as seen on parts-ordering websites (aka 'parts fiche')

Both the subscription and the Helm DVD must run under a WIndows 10 (or later) OS environment, I can't comment on what that means relative to Chromebook.

Another alternative is reviewed / compared to the subscription service here: Factory-Manuals.com product review Though VIN-filtered and less user-friendly than either the subscription or the Helm DVD, being a PDF it'll run on most anything.

Hope that helps, Have Fun!
Thanks... . So you do need to install an app to see the manuals? I had thought if you could see manual pages via webbrower I could script the browser to get 'all the pages.' Likely the factory-manual guys pay someone in a cheap country to do that by hand. thanks

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Thanks... . So you do need to install an app to see the manuals?
I'm not sure that an "app" is the correct term, but yes, the subscription involves what I would consider an 'installation process' and the interface / on-screen environment does not look at all like anything else that runs in my browser or a browser window.

Sorry, I'm not enough of a computer geek to give you a technically correct / complete answer ("scripting" a browser is way above my pay grade ;)).

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So what is the point? Say you find what you need in order to repair your vehicle or modify something, if you don't have the part number it doesn't really help you, does it?

Both the subscription and the Helm DVD must run under a WIndows 10 (or later) OS environment,
According to the Helm product detail page, you need Windows 3.1 or later. I wonder who out there is still using Windows 3.1 or 3.11 (Windows for Workgrop! Wow.... :D ).

OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I'm not sure that an "app" is the correct term, but yes, the subscription involves what I would consider an 'installation process' and the interface / on-screen environment does not look at all like anything else that runs in my browser or a browser window.

Sorry, I'm not enough of a computer geek to give you a technically correct / complete answer ("scripting" a browser is way above my pay grade ;)).
This was super helpful thank you. It does sound like you described it just fine. I'll try to grab the application later and play around with it even I won't be able to see all the good stuff without paying

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
So what is the point? Say you find what you need in order to repair your vehicle or modify something, if you don't have the part number it doesn't really help you, does it?
Text detailing system components and function/operations, diagrams of component locations and harness routing, component R&R procedures including all fastener torque values, step-by-step diagrams for all interior & exterior trim R&R including snap-in faster types and locations so you can disassemble things without damaging often delicate trim pieces and plastic tabs, detailed troubleshooting procedures and DTC code info, mechanical spec clearances and allowable runouts / wear limits, detailed wiring diagrams, wire color codes, and connector pin assignments, info about what does or does not require recalibration when a component is replaced, etc, etc, etc.

All of that information is useful to me for repair, maintenance, and modification projects on a vehicle, especially complex modern vehicles. Your interests and needs may vary, no worries!

I've been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for most of my 70 years, often referring to manufacturer or independent publisher workshop manuals, I don't recall any of those substituting for parts fiche. Part numbers for any given component and any given VIN are often superseded over time; there's plenty of other sources for getting current and correct PN's for a component identified as needing replacement (if not the interweb then the parts counter at a dealer / parts vendor, heaven forbid!).

No worries if you don't find value ("the point") in a workshop manual - don't buy one! ;) :)

According to the Helm product detail page, you need Windows 3.1 or later.
I stand corrected, thank you! It's the subscription manuals help/faq that makes reference to the need for Win 10.

Last edited:

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
This was super helpful thank you. It does sound like you described it just fine. I'll try to grab the application later and play around with it even I won't be able to see all the good stuff without paying
This Help / FAQ page on the subscription Service Website may be more helpful for your interests than my post.

That page makes reference to browser requirements so obviously a browser plays some role in using the service (?), I probably mis-characterized the need for an 'installation process' similar to an app (like I said, I'm not a computer geek :cry:).

FWIW, and in spite of the FAQ saying "Edge" is not supported, the last time I used the subscription service a few months ago IIRC I was on a WIN 10 PC running the then-current version of MS Edge (the 'Chromium-based' aka 'new Edge'). My only PC is a Dell E-6530 laptop, too old to run WIN 11 (I'm on a 2021 14-inch Macbook Pro M1 running Monterey/Safari for this forum session).

Last edited:
OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Is there a more detailed parts diagram then this? I plan on adding the 360 cameras I couldnt by. Was looking at a parts diagram for a similar truck but with 360 camera. However the part number is a partial number at best. How do you find full part number
Ford F-150 How does one get the manuals and wiring diagrams and parts diagrams? Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 2.18.04 PM

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Text detailing system components and function/operations, diagrams of component locations and harness routing, component R&R procedures including all fastener torque values, step-by-step diagrams for all interior & exterior trim R&R including snap-in faster types and locations so you can disassemble things without damaging often delicate trim pieces and plastic tabs, detailed troubleshooting procedures and DTC code info, mechanical spec clearances and allowable runouts / wear limits, detailed wiring diagrams, wire color codes, and connector pin assignments, info about what does or does not require recalibration when a component is replaced, etc, etc, etc.

All of that information is useful to me for repair, maintenance, and modification projects on a vehicle, especially complex modern vehicles. Your interests and needs may vary, no worries!

I've been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for most of my 70 years, often referring to manufacturer or independent publisher workshop manuals, I don't recall any of those substituting for parts fiche. Part numbers for any given component and any given VIN are often superseded over time; there's plenty of other sources for getting current and correct PN's for a component identified as needing replacement (if not the interweb then the parts counter at a dealer / parts vendor, heaven forbid!).

No worries if you don't find value ("the point") in a workshop manual - don't buy one! ;) :)

I stand corrected, thank you! It's the subscription manuals help/faq that makes reference to the need for Win 10.

I am not saying there is no value. IMO a part number is a crucial piece of data that you need when you want to repair or mod something, and it seems like it's missing.

Can you share an example of system component and wiring diagram that you can get there?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Can you share an example of system component and wiring diagram that you can get there?
Attached are random sample of WSM text sections / cells (wiring diagram) / connector detail / R&R procedures I printed to PDF during a subscription service session. There's many more types of diagrams (e.g. pictorial views showing harness routing within the vehicle body/chassis). You can print a heck of a lot of pages to PDF for future reference during a 72-hour subscription session. Based on working from a Helm DVD for a previous vehicle (2014 Ford Escape) it is identical to working with the subscription online.

You may note that different sections have different revision dates - individual sections are constantly revised by Ford on an as-needed basis; with the subscription you'll always see the most current, with the Helm DVD all will be 'frozen in time' when the DVD is produced.

Note that the blue text on the wiring diagram cell are hyperlinks which you click to jump to related details and or diagrams (while actively online with the subscription or running the Helm DVD on your PC). Wiring diagrams are divided into "cells" (pages) often with many cells to show the complete wiring for a given 'system' - they're sensibly grouped together with hyperlinking arrows indicating continuation of circuits from one cell to another.

Note that many R&R procedures are divided to 'subassemblies' so several sections may need to be referenced for a complete project - each section has hyperlinks if there's need to refer to another section to accomplish that (e.g. ya gotta remove component 'X' before you can remove component 'Y').

Navigation is quickly learned, there's a detailed multi-level Table of Contents and Index which you can browse, when you find the item of interest just click that item and it's a hyperlink to the applicable content (again, same for subscription and Helm DVD).

IMO both are really superb WSM's, both in terms of content and user-friendliness. Literally tens of thousands of 'pages' of data for a given vehicle.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: sbi