Sponsored

How can u hear these headrest speakers??

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Direct connection via USB is better than a Bluetooth link, but BT 5 APTX can be close to a CD .
Bluetooth 5 is fairly new, so your phone may not support it. I don't know if BT5 is in this B&O sound system.

HD FM can equal the sound of a CD. Apple Airplay is capable of close-to-CD quality. In each case, the sound source should be a high-bitrate (320kbps for MP3).

Sirius uses some heavy compression - I've never regarded it as high-fidelity.

the 2 side speakers in the rear doors are co-axial, meaning each speaker housing is actually 2 speakers sharing a common frame. Hence, 18 speakers total
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Tidal is less compressed, 24 bit. But the difference is questionable vs Apple Music. I’m trialing Tidal now and am a musician and a bit of an audiophile, and I think it sounds better, but it’s hard to tell.

cjduello

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCREW EB 502A Sport FX4
Thanks for the better photo. It says 18 speakers, but in case I forgot how to count, there are only 16 blue dots. What am I missing?
Rear door speakers count as 2 - a tweeter and a woofer...

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I've found that if you adjust the fade all the way aft, then the headrest speakers are more noticeable. They seem to mimic rear passenger speaker levels.

I also usually leave my fade/balance about 2 to 3 "clicks" aft because otherwise the front center speaker seems to overpower everything else.

Edit: "Bubbles" by Yosi Horikawa worked EXTREMELY well when trying to isolate the headrest speaker channels. Thanks for the recommendation @spud_41

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Great tips, Spud! How would you suggest I create the highest possible sound source? I have an Apple iPhone, MacBook Pro, and access to Apple Music. I am pretty techie, but have never really paid attention to the finer details of maximizing audio quality. For example, is a thumb drive, or directly wired connection required, or, in contrast, does BlueTooth choke the sound quality? Thanks for any additional insight!
A lot of people say Amazon Music HD, Apple Music, some people download their music onto a usb and plug it in, it's not the best but since I have Spotify I download certain playlists on high quality and if you turn Spotify to offline it works pretty well as long as you found good quality recordings of the songs. Directly wired is/should be best, I've been having trouble with my phone staying plugged in when I pick it up though so around town I've been staying wireless. Whatever you use if you have unlimited streaming/data, make sure that the service is set to play at high quality rather than auto, or download playlists on high quality over wifi. If you want to go deeper look into lossless music streaming.

Sponsored

ToddnTX

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Dodge Durango, 07 GMC Sierra. 2021 Ford F-150
If you press and hold the "Next Track" button on the steering wheel and the one on the dash all the speakers will beep in turn so you know they're working. The headrest speakers are supposed to be light support sound to be more immersive, not something you really notice. Make sure it's on surround sound and play Bubbles by Yosi Horikawa via a high quality source, turn the volume up to 15 or higher and you should hear every speaker in the truck.
I played bubbles and holy crap it was a outer body experience lol..

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
If you press and hold the "Next Track" button on the steering wheel and the one on the dash all the speakers will beep in turn so you know they're working. The headrest speakers are supposed to be light support sound to be more immersive, not something you really notice. Make sure it's on surround sound and play Bubbles by Yosi Horikawa via a high quality source, turn the volume up to 15 or higher and you should hear every speaker in the truck.

+1000 for Bubbles!! Listening to it right now on the Bang and Olufsen Unleashed! Not what I was expecting, but man!!

I had the slightest doubt my headrest channels may not be working, but NOPE!! Loud and clear, and dare I say trippy!!

????✅?

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
+1000 for Bubbles!! Listening to it right now on the Bang and Olufsen Unleashed! Not what I was expecting, but man!!

I had the slightest doubt my headrest channels may not be working, but NOPE!! Loud and clear, and dare I say trippy!!

????✅?
I was in exactly the same boat. Every once in a while I thought I could hear something out of my headrest, but it was never enough to be sure.

After Bubbles, I have no doubt that they work. :LOL:

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The problem now is finding other songs that give you that experience, and it would be nice if some more normal/less asmr songs were recorded the same way to give a similar experience.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the better photo. It says 18 speakers, but in case I forgot how to count, there are only 16 blue dots. What am I missing?
The Coaxials in the rear are actually 2 speakers each. I agree that wasn't make explicit on the diagram.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
The problem now is finding other songs that give you that experience, and it would be nice if some more normal/less asmr songs were recorded the same way to give a similar experience.
my search on Spotify led me to the playlist "Songs to test headphones with"

I'm familiar with many of the titles on this list; most of them (not all) were recorded to very high standards originally, and some (not all) are recent re-masters. the list includes "Aja" by Steely Dan, "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" by Paul Simon, "I.G.Y." by Donald Fagan, etc.

If y'all are into symphonic music, then just about anything recorded in the 21st century will be stellar. I personally recommend "The Planets Suite" by Holst, released on Deutsche Grammophone, recorded by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

If you're into retro-synth AND classical, pull up the sound track album to "A Clockwork Orange"

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
my search on Spotify led me to the playlist "Songs to test headphones with"

I'm familiar with many of the titles on this list; most of them (not all) were recorded to very high standards originally, and some (not all) are recent re-masters. the list includes "Aja" by Steely Dan, "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" by Paul Simon, "I.G.Y." by Donald Fagan, etc.

If y'all are into symphonic music, then just about anything recorded in the 21st century will be stellar. I personally recommend "The Planets Suite" by Holst, released on Deutsche Grammophone, recorded by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

If you're into retro-synth AND classical, pull up the sound track album to "A Clockwork Orange"
I'll check them out, I just can't stand when older songs have the crackle in them especially on the unleashed. A Clockwork Orange is a strange movie, completely forget what the soundtrack is like though.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Typically, surround speakers are not meant to stand out. They just provide enough supplemental sound to fake your brain‘s spacial awareness into thinking you are in the middle of the sound scape.

May home entertainment system is the same way - the rear speakers are small and not loud, relative to the front and center speakers.

Last edited:

LA1401

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Lariat 502a Supercab
Occupation
government employee
Check out "Love Will Find A Way" by Yes, the version with the strings on the intro

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I've found that if you adjust the fade all the way aft, then the headrest speakers are more noticeable. They seem to mimic rear passenger speaker levels.

I also usually leave my fade/balance about 2 to 3 "clicks" aft because otherwise the front center speaker seems to overpower everything else.

Edit: "Bubbles" by Yosi Horikawa worked EXTREMELY well when trying to isolate the headrest speaker channels. Thanks for the recommendation @spud_41
totally agree and do the same thing, move it back a few clicks, just balances out the whole sound system! Also make sure the surround setting is turned on
Sponsored