How are the halogen headlights?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Just curious if anyone can comment on the performance of the halogen headlights on the 21's? How are they compared to the previous generation?
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I see no ones got back to you. I’ve searched around and there isn’t anything I’ve been able to find for the halogen headlights for the new generation. I’ll keep and eye out and post for you if I come across anything.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’m kinda curious as well.
I’m not certain that I would be a good person to give a review as my daily still uses good old fashioned sealed beams, along with both of the hot rods.
The Ranger has halogens, and can see pretty well, but I just flat do not like driving that truck.
FWIW—75% of my driving is done in the dark hours.

Valrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 crown vic
I’m kinda curious as well.
I’m not certain that I would be a good person to give a review as my daily still uses good old fashioned sealed beams, along with both of the hot rods.
The Ranger has halogens, and can see pretty well, but I just flat do not like driving that truck.
FWIW—75% of my driving is done in the dark hours.
I remember the days when you could go to the store and buy a sealed beam for less than $10 ! Those were the days.

Captain Chaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 screw
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I've had my '22 for almost a month now, I honestly feel they are pretty good. I drive late nights/early mornings a lot, never seem to need more.

Sponsored

Copperhaun

First Name
Jered
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 STX Screw 157” wb
Occupation
Peasant
They’re okay. I can see enough, but they don’t illuminate a lot.
I would say my 2016’s halogens were better, but only marginally.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Had halogens in my STX, was first thing to do was ordered complete LED kit from F150leds.com

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Trash...I ordered LED Bulbs until AlphaRex drops their aftermarket Nova lights in the next month or so!

skierd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XL
I pick up my XL next week and plan to do some testing on my halogen headlights.
Don’t use drop in LED’s, if you care about seeing what’s on the road and not blinding other drivers.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/why-leds-should-not-be-run-in-halogen-reflectors.454371/

Based on my experience with my Tacoma it should be easy to make the halogen headlights on this truck perform great for about $80. Better halogen bulbs (high performance h11’s or h9 bulbs in the lows, 9011 in the highs), and then properly aiming the headlights. My assumption from the IIHS data is the headlights are aimed low from the factory so as to not exceed glare limits when the bed is loaded down, and/or to make up for the low performance of the long life bulbs in the factory low beams. Aiming them low will put an acceptable amount light on the ground but obviously shorten their effective range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I have driven interstate late and in the rain at night. My 22 XLT is the same as my 2016 XL was both are halogen.
Both are substandard (old tech)for distance and shoulder visibility.
It’s easy to overdrive the lights at night At 75 mph. You won’t see a deer in the shoulder until it’s to late.
I see some think there ok. I think with all the advancements in this truck why would they scrimp on headlights to 1970s tech. safety should be first.
My kids 2020 Hyundai Accent has better headlights.
Still think it’s a great truck. I’ll spend the money and put better lights on it.
Sponsored

Last edited: