Sponsored

How are the 2021 F-150 factory tires on winter roads?

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
We have a Lariat with the 20" Hankook AT2's and I hate them. 2k miles and I want new tires. They hydroplane horribly and we had snow of about 4 inches, not too great in that, they pack up too easy. Wimpiest all terrain I have ever seen and these were on a FX4 package, Ford should be ashamed. They ride quiet and comfortable, but I am going to have to buy tires on a new truck and that really sucks. Going to dealer for recall tomorrow, will see if there is any recourse there. Using the slippery drive mode helps, but not with hydroplane. Not happy about prospect of putting this expensive of a truck into a wall because the tires can't handle water.
Wow, I guess you are the first person that has said this. I will have to see how they perform if my truck ever gets shipped.
Sponsored

Old fart

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150 Lariat, 2018 Explorer, 1975 John Deere
Occupation
Retired
My wife's 18 Explorer came with Hankook, looked in Consumer Reprts and they were rated terrible in snow and ice. Took the vehicle back and traded them for Michelin. My salesman said they have no idea what tire will come in on their trucks. I told him if it came in with Hankooks we were going to have a problem. He said he'd work with me. I read Ford was working with Pirelli to develop a 17 and 20" truck tire. I'm not sure why 17" and not 18".

Cire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150 Platinum Hybrid 7.2kW
Occupation
Day Dreamer
My truck came with the 275/60r20 Dynapro's and they are unbelievably grippy in snow and on wet roads. I've tried numerous times in 2WD to fishtail the truck to see what the limitations were and I was very surprised at how well it handled. I swapped the tires onto my wife's Expedition and they handle so much better than her original 275/55r20 tires.

DanSTX

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 2.7L 3.55 E-lock Space White
Mine came with the Hankook 275/60R20 AT2's not bad on dry pavement, but disappointing in snow had to use 4wd to get out of a couple of inches on top of grass, rear locker did nothing to help. I will be replacing them with Toyo's as soon as they wear out.

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My 2 cents...Falken wildpeaks are a very good tire. Ran them on my 250 for years. big 37" tire lasted very well and no road noise. Loved em. i have the generals on my 18" rims and will be getting more falkens!
Ran the falkens on my 2014 f150. Fantastic tire. Great in snow and off road.

I also ran the cooper AT3 4s on the same truck. Another great tire.

The falkens were a tad better off road. The coopers a tad better in snow. Falkens killed mpg, coopers not so bad.

Coopers are made in usa, so that is the tie breaker for me. Coopers unless not in size i need, then go with the falkens.

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Fat tires and snow, or wet--never a good combination.
My mom had an old Trans Am (was a new car then--83) never had a clue as to where that car was gonna go in the winter. We always ran skinny tires on the 4x4 vehicles just for that reason.
Fat tires just polish the ground
Still have pretty skinny tires on my 98 K1500, just for the rain. That truck has lockers, so it gets pretty squirrely going around corners in the wet anyway..
Yup. Skinnier the better for snow.
It makes me giggle to see all the lifted trucks with tires sticking 5 inches past fenders slidding all over the place in winter.

DocBach

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
RN
My truck came with the hankooks, promptly switched them out for BFGs new Trail Terrain A/Ts. Wanted a 3pmsf rated tire that’s mainly on road but was durable enough for little day trips and camping, so these fit the bill perfectly.

works well so far here in the PNW rain

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
Mine came stock with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires, 265/70R17, they are horrible on snow/ice. I get stuck coming out of my garage.

They are very good highway tires with low road noise though.

That said, I plan on changing these out soon and hopefully I will be able to get a few bucks for them.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
XLT 302a with max tow so I was stuck with the 20" pirelli. I actually don't mind them in the summer but quickly changed them out for Cooper Snow Claws for the winter. I'm pretty happy with them, performed pretty well during our last big snow fall that was just a little over 2ft.

Ford F-150 How are the 2021 F-150 factory tires on winter roads? Screenshot_20220121-210206_Gallery

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
I have the Goodyear Wranger AT that came with the XLT 302A package in Canada.

Got stuck a few times in minor snow and had to bust out the 4H setting to get out. I will be buying a dedicated set of winter tires / rims and using them next Winter.

does anyone know if we can run the 17” tire option on a XLT that runs 18” OEM? Any negative outcomes?

thanks

Sponsored

Drufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lead Foot Lariat
I have the 18" wranglers. so far, not so good in snow. a few times with a light coating on the ground I was sliding around turns.

DocBach

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
RN

Got stuck a few times in minor snow and had to bust out the 4H setting to get out. I will be buying a dedicated set of winter tires / rims and using them next Winter.

does anyone know if we can run the 17” tire option on a XLT that runs 18” OEM? Any negative outcomes?

thanks
are you talking about changing out your 18" wheels for 17" wheels, or putting 17" tires on an 18" wheel?

Certain packages (heavy duty payload package, IIRC) can't run 17" wheels

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I have the 18s with Goodyear Wranglers and I was pretty impressed with them in the deep snow we had a while ago. Felt very stable and surefooted in 4A

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport

thanks
I had my truck fitted from the dealer with 265/70R17 BF Goodrich Winter T/A KSI tires on Ford steel wheels prior to me taking ownership in January. 18" sport wheels on Wranglers are in the garage waiting for spring. No issues at all, as I believe this is the recommended setup from Ford.
Ford F-150 How are the 2021 F-150 factory tires on winter roads? IMG_2416
Ford F-150 How are the 2021 F-150 factory tires on winter roads? IMG_2417

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
I had my truck fitted from the dealer with 265/70R17 BF Goodrich Winter T/A KSI tires on Ford steel wheels prior to me taking ownership in January. 18" sport wheels on Wranglers are in the garage waiting for spring. No issues at all, as I believe this is the recommended setup from Ford.
IMG_2416.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg
Excellent. Exactly what I’m trying to do. Thanks!
Sponsored