Sponsored

How are the 2021 F-150 factory tires on winter roads?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Just wondering, I think the Lariat I ordered comes with the Hankook dynapros AT2's. Kinda wondering how good they are on slippery winter roads, anyone have any experience?
Sponsored

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport, 2011 F150
Occupation
Home Inspector
Just wondering, I think the Lariat I ordered comes with the Hankook dynapros AT2's. Kinda wondering how good they are on slippery winter roads, anyone have any experience?
Not sure on the Hankook's as my XLT came with the Goodyear Wranglers. We just had 12 inches drop throughout the day and the roads were NASTY. Put the Drive Mode control into "Slippery" (4-high) and had no issues driving through town and on the unplowed highway. Yes, still gets a little slide-ways if you take turns to quick but I have never had a truck that didn't experience this. I also have 350 lbs of sand tubes in the bed for weight on the rear tires. Hankooks are a popular choice here but my favorite all-terrain tire are the Falken Wildpeak AT3/W. Have them on my 2011 F150 and absolutely love those tires for a combination of offroad traction, winter traction, tread wear and road noise. These Goodyears are pretty decent but I will replace them with the Falkens once I put on a leveling kit.

FYI, the drive mode function on my XLT has both "Slippery" and "Deep Snow/Sand". The slippery function seems to reduce the throttle output to keep you from spinning your tires coming off of a stop. Deep Snow/Sand seems to do the opposite as you need fast and high revs to move through that stuff.

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Got a question folks? Imagine that! Does anyone know which tire is used when you order a LT265/70R18C tire on a Lariat? I ordered and was charged a little extra for this tire; however, my dealer/salesman is mum on this question. On my 2015 Lariat they were Goodyear and I was pleased with the tires. Anyone know what I should expect on a 2021? Thanks for any responses.

OP
OP
mnstang

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Not sure on the Hankook's as my XLT came with the Goodyear Wranglers. We just had 12 inches drop throughout the day and the roads were NASTY. Put the Drive Mode control into "Slippery" (4-high) and had no issues driving through town and on the unplowed highway. Yes, still gets a little slide-ways if you take turns to quick but I have never had a truck that didn't experience this. I also have 350 lbs of sand tubes in the bed for weight on the rear tires. Hankooks are a popular choice here but my favorite all-terrain tire are the Falken Wildpeak AT3/W. Have them on my 2011 F150 and absolutely love those tires for a combination of offroad traction, winter traction, tread wear and road noise. These Goodyears are pretty decent but I will replace them with the Falkens once I put on a leveling kit.

FYI, the drive mode function on my XLT has both "Slippery" and "Deep Snow/Sand". The slippery function seems to reduce the throttle output to keep you from spinning your tires coming off of a stop. Deep Snow/Sand seems to do the opposite as you need fast and high revs to move through that stuff.
Thanks for your report! I too have some familiarity with those Falkens. One of my friends took his stock Goodyear’s off his new tundra and replaced with falkens wildpeaks. I have these very same tires on my short list when I also do a level lift down the road.

Sponsored

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I must be the odd man out with the Wildpeaks. I had some on my 4Runner and they started out great. Wore fantastic. But around 25-30k they got so loud my wife and I couldn't carry on a conversation. Ended up buying some Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts (a lot less aggressive) and they're SUPER quiet. Didnt need anything too aggressive for my wife's 4Runner. The Hankooks on my 150 are super quiet and handle well so far. Only 850 miles on them so far though.

Eoseabee133

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 XLT SPORT
Occupation
Truck Driver
I just got my 21 XLT sport yesterday with the 20" dynapros we got 4 inches of snow yesterday and done nothing but spin everywhere I go so I added weight in the rear it helped a bit but I'm not impressed with the tires Already thinking of upgrading tires

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just got my 21 XLT sport yesterday with the 20" dynapros we got 4 inches of snow yesterday and done nothing but spin everywhere I go so I added weight in the rear it helped a bit but I'm not impressed with the tires Already thinking of upgrading tires
Fat tires and snow, or wet--never a good combination.
My mom had an old Trans Am (was a new car then--83) never had a clue as to where that car was gonna go in the winter. We always ran skinny tires on the 4x4 vehicles just for that reason.
Fat tires just polish the ground
Still have pretty skinny tires on my 98 K1500, just for the rain. That truck has lockers, so it gets pretty squirrely going around corners in the wet anyway..

ivorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT 302
Got a question folks? Imagine that! Does anyone know which tire is used when you order a LT265/70R18C tire on a Lariat? I ordered and was charged a little extra for this tire; however, my dealer/salesman is mum on this question. On my 2015 Lariat they were Goodyear and I was pleased with the tires. Anyone know what I should expect on a 2021? Thanks for any responses.
I was reading on another thread about spare tires that included some pictures, one of the pictures showed General Grabber APT tires for the LT tire option. The tires seem to have the mountain and snowflake symbol. I guess I'll find out when I get mine.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...the-spare-tire-selection-on-the-b-p-mean.726/

NateV

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Is there anyway to know which tire should be coming on your order? Iv been looking at pics of trucks online and most seem to have the pirelli scorpions from what I can see. Ordered lariat 502a chrome max tow.

Sponsored

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I got the General Grabber APT tires on my 18" rims, tire seems good so far, been through a couple storms and just did a 2000km trip. so far i like them. Spare tire also matches !

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I got the General Grabber APT tires on my 18" rims, tire seems good so far, been through a couple storms and just did a 2000km trip. so far i like them. Spare tire also matches !
From what I can tell, this is the tire used for any of the LT tire options in the US.

RCR001, how do those tires ride over rough roads and uneven highway sections?

Acob720

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Occupation
Marketing Director
I believe it's a General.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
From what I can tell, this is the tire used for any of the LT tire options in the US.

RCR001, how do those tires ride over rough roads and uneven highway sections?
Tire is very good in all conditions so far...But it is new, Ill be going to the 295 70/18 soon. I have a snowmobile and spend a lot of time north on snow covered roads. Like something a bit more aggressive. But the General seems good.

Cindy42

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2016 Mustang GT PP
We have a Lariat with the 20" Hankook AT2's and I hate them. 2k miles and I want new tires. They hydroplane horribly and we had snow of about 4 inches, not too great in that, they pack up too easy. Wimpiest all terrain I have ever seen and these were on a FX4 package, Ford should be ashamed. They ride quiet and comfortable, but I am going to have to buy tires on a new truck and that really sucks. Going to dealer for recall tomorrow, will see if there is any recourse there. Using the slippery drive mode helps, but not with hydroplane. Not happy about prospect of putting this expensive of a truck into a wall because the tires can't handle water.
Sponsored