First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X3, 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A
Occupation
IT
if you have this as option on your truck, did you activate it? I had thought it was included as part of Connected Nav, but see it is separate. Looks like it only has 3 month trial, but doesn’t say what it costs after that. from quick research it looks like Ford uses AT&T as carrier And base package of $10/month. I have unlimited data on my cell plan from Verizon so not sure what benefit would be, aside from it being a different carrier and might provide connectivity if I am in area not covered by cell phone carrier. Is there another reason to get this? Does it use 5G?
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
You're thoughts are correct.

No it's not 5G, it's a different carrier so your coverage may be better in certain places Verizon isn't (however my experience has been Verizon has the best out of the way coverage out of anyone).

I too have unlimited data on my Verizon plan, and see no need to carry an additional $10/month payment for something that will get little use.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Do you need to activate the hot spot to get over air updates or will it update using your home WiFi if you pair that?

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
Do you need to activate the hot spot to get over air updates or will it update using your home WiFi if you pair that?
The Ford line of communication for over the air updates is independent of you activating the Hotspot. You do not connect the Ford to your WiFi.

Ford pays AT&T for each vehicle they have sold for this functionality.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
The Ford line of communication for over the air updates is independent of you activating the Hotspot. You do not connect the Ford to your WiFi.

Ford pays AT&T for each vehicle they have sold for this functionality.
From @maxinike:

Over the Air (OTA) Programming

Over-the-Air updates allow for vehicle system software to be updated wirelessly over Wi-Fi (both private and or public Wi-Fi connection) and or the vehicle cellular network. Over-the-Air updates occur on a rolling basis. By default, the vehicle starts the update process as soon as new software becomes available, notifications of software update availability are displayed on the vehicle display screen.

The Over-the-Air Updates are available for vehicles that are factory equipped with GWM, TCU and APIM with Ethernet communication network connections.

Some OTA updates can complete in the background, more complex updates can take up to 45 minutes to complete and the vehicle will be disabled during the update process. These more complex updates must be scheduled by the customer, to complete at a time convenient for them. If an OTA update becomes available that is required to be scheduled, the customer is notified through the vehicle display screen, remotely through the FordPass app and via e-mail where available.

During scheduled updates the vehicle will not function. The vehicle is inhibited by design when the OTA software update is being installed to the receiving module(s). Scheduled updates may take up to 45 minutes to complete.

Certain conditions must be met for a scheduled update installation to complete. If these conditions are not met, the update is cancelled. Cancelled updates can be rescheduled for a time when the conditions can be met.

The vehicle display screen displays a 2 minute countdown prior to the scheduled update start time, to give the customer the opportunity to cancel the update if necessary. Once the update has started it can not be canceled.

Details of the over the air (OTA) update release status can be can be viewed on the PTS Connected Vehicle tab.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/over-the-air-updates-wifi-needed.2792/post-41708

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I have family members that will use tablets and laptops on long road trips where this will be useful as well at campgrounds that have no WiFi. I do have unlimited data on Verizon but don’t want all those devices connected when I need to use gps, take a work call, etc. $10/month is pretty cheap compared to adding a new line/service for a dedicated hotspot.

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
I just tested the "three months" free use from AT&T. Let's just say, I'm sticking with Verizon and my unlimited data plan. Did a road trip and my son streamed one movie. In less than two hours we had used up "all the available data" so much for 3 months of testing and if we can't even get through a movie, trust me it's a waste. I'll stick with my Verizon plan an unlimited data. It's not with the $10.00 or whatever AT&T is going to charge. I was disappointed, but hey I got a free trial to know and confirm I don't want AT&T!

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I just tested the "three months" free use from AT&T. Let's just say, I'm sticking with Verizon and my unlimited data plan. Did a road trip and my son streamed one movie. In less than two hours we had used up "all the available data" so much for 3 months of testing and if we can't even get through a movie, trust me it's a waste. I'll stick with my Verizon plan an unlimited data. It's not with the $10.00 or whatever AT&T is going to charge. I was disappointed, but hey I got a free trial to know and confirm I don't want AT&T!
I had the same experience in my '18. I activated it for a trip from PA to the outer Banks... my data limit was reached before we were out of Maryland.

I haven't given it another thought after canceling.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
if you have this as option on your truck, did you activate it? I had thought it was included as part of Connected Nav, but see it is separate. Looks like it only has 3 month trial, but doesn’t say what it costs after that. from quick research it looks like Ford uses AT&T as carrier And base package of $10/month. I have unlimited data on my cell plan from Verizon so not sure what benefit would be, aside from it being a different carrier and might provide connectivity if I am in area not covered by cell phone carrier. Is there another reason to get this? Does it use 5G?
Thanks,
Mike
I just activated this past weekend - it was $200/year. The only reason is because we live in Colorado and while generally Verizon has good coverage the drive to our mountain house has a bunch of coverage zones that are missing for Verizon but have coverage for AT&T

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
I activated mine. I also use my phone as a hotspot occasionally (Verizon), but I find it much easier to just have it ready versus pulling my phone out, waiting for it to enable, and then watching my battery drain like crazy. I use a laptop, iPad, and occasionally let co workers sync their computers/tablets to it so we can work together without all being nuts to butts sharing a device, so it's extremely convenient. Then again, I use the truck as a rolling office a good bit also.
Ford F-150 Hotspot 20210512_143332
Sponsored