First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
If you connect directly to the negative post on the 12V battery, the battery management system (BMS) doesn't/can't "account for" the KW that were added to the battery.

It's a very sophisticated BMS, although there are plenty of questions about the logic that Ford is using. And a LOT of complaints about the charging logic that is hellbent keeping the AGM battery at a lower SOC than most would like.

Note that you saw a drop from 14.2V to 13.2
The BMS will lower the V more aggressively than many feel it should, which seems to inhibit the battery from being kept at a higher, say 85-90% SOC.

I digress.....

If you hook the negative terminal of your external power source "behind" the BMS sensor, then the BMS logic is accounting for that current.

Your owners manual even instructs to do so.
Point #1 or #2 is preferred.
I use #1 because it's easy to get the clamp on.

Screenshot_20230310_224955_OneDrive.jpg
Oh! Thanks! I should have read the manual. Doesn't appear I messed anything up that I can tell.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Oh! Thanks! I should have read the manual. Doesn't appear I messed anything up that I can tell.
Doesn't hurt a thing!
But it hides the current you are supplying from the BMS algorithm.

Although even that is of no great consequence longterm, since others have presented evidence that the BMS recalibrates SOC after the truck is off for 5-7 hours.

These trucks are never really completely asleep unless the BMS initiates a "deep sleep". It seems even Ford thinks there's a point where the AGM should be protected, or else someone is going to need a Jumpstart.

OP
OP
fwunder

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
Wow! I guess Ford engineers were watching this thread! My new Plugin Powerboost! The update I got last night ! :LOL:

Ford F-150 Hotspot always on, NO ICE - solution IMG_6451

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You lucky devil you
Sponsored