Sponsored

Hood popping open on highway. Anyone else?

Cacharrito

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
‘21 KR, 3.5L with 27k on the clock. This has now happened to me twice and it’s concerning.

First time, round tripping FW to Houston in a day. On drive home, nearly 3 hours in, 75 mph, not a windy day…bam, hood pops open, safety latch catches it. It gets your full attention when it happens. Truck had recently been in for oil change, wrote it off as a fluke, maybe service tech didn’t close hood properly.

This afternoon, running about 60 mph, hood open sensor starts dinging me, slowed down to 50 mph looking for the next exit, bam…hood pops open, safety latch catches it again.

In full disclosure, I haven’t taken it in for service because I thought this was a one time event. Now it’s happened twice in less than a month.

Anybody else out there have the same pleasure? Feeling like I won’t be so lucky next time it happens trying to think how I’ll react when the hood flies open and covers the windshield.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
Mine hasn’t come unlatched, but when a semi truck passes by me at 65 mph head to head on a two lane road. I swear both forward corners are going to fold in. They raise up an shake. I had a guy riding with me that has a 2020 limited he about s””t a brick.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I read the thread below, it said that I should adjust the bump stops. I will try that. It’s always good to have help when needed.

OP
OP

Cacharrito

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
I checked mine today too. Defiantly some wear on the top of them which tells me they are making contact with the underside of the hood. The question then becomes do you screw them in under the premise that they are applying too much pressure to the underside of the hood thereby “forcing” it to pop up or screw them out some to apply more pressure and a “tighter” closure against the latch mechanism?

I have no idea.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I checked mine today too. Defiantly some wear on the top of them which tells me they are making contact with the underside of the hood. The question then becomes do you screw them in under the premise that they are applying too much pressure to the underside of the hood thereby “forcing” it to pop up or screw them out some to apply more pressure and a “tighter” closure against the latch mechanism?

I have no idea.
No, you go straight to the nearest dealer and say, " MY F*CKING HOOD IS POPPING OPEN ON THE HIGHWAY!" Seriously, what century is this? C'mon already, Ford.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I noticed that after I changed my own oil and I shut the hood, it felt normal as if it latched, but when I got in the truck to move it I received a message about the hood not being latched.
I returned to the front and it absolutely looked closed properly, but when I applied pressure to it sure enough it raised up and wasn't latched securely.

It required more force/effort than I would have expected to get it to latch properly.

I know you didn't get the alert that your hood wasn't latched, but I suspect the actual latch mechanism and the sensor are not necessarily perfectly in concert, so it's possible you aren't fully latched but the sensor thinks it is.

I believe if you tug up on your hood and it doesn't budge or come unlatched, then driving down the interstate wouldn't unlatched it either. If I had to guess, similar to my truck it takes more force to latch than just the weight of the hood like normal.

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Be careful on Michigan roads lol..if that’s all it takes it would be off in no time.

I would probably let the dealer inspect/adjust it, but I can understand if you want to try the bump stop thing. That would scare the crap out me too!

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired

I have no idea.
A slight adjustmet and a little lubrication on latch should correct this problem.I know its frustrating,but back in the seventies and eighties I worked at a dealership and it was very common to buy a new car and have to take it back for warranty work almost monthly for problems. Then they reached a point where quality control did a much better job. Now with supply chain shortages and rushing to speed up production to pre covid levels, quality is starting to slip backwards again

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my 2021 super duty scared crap out me everytime a truck passed on 2 lane roads it jumped and loo
Mine hasn’t come unlatched, but when a semi truck passes by me at 65 mph head to head on a two lane road. I swear both forward corners are going to fold in. They raise up an shake. I had a guy riding with me that has a 2020 limited he about s””t a brick.
my late F250 2021 model did same thing, i about crapped my pants on the highway at 75 and it did that, i thought oh crap we are about to loose a hood.
my 150 wiggles but not nearly as much .

Reactions: Geo

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
My 2007 F150 did the same thing. Going 70 on the highway with a good 35+ mph wind, anytime a semi was coming the other direction I'd brace myself. It never came loose, but it always looked like it wanted to.

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
No, At least not yet....

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
‘21 KR, 3.5L with 27k on the clock. This has now happened to me twice and it’s concerning.

First time, round tripping FW to Houston in a day. On drive home, nearly 3 hours in, 75 mph, not a windy day…bam, hood pops open, safety latch catches it. It gets your full attention when it happens. Truck had recently been in for oil change, wrote it off as a fluke, maybe service tech didn’t close hood properly.

This afternoon, running about 60 mph, hood open sensor starts dinging me, slowed down to 50 mph looking for the next exit, bam…hood pops open, safety latch catches it again.

In full disclosure, I haven’t taken it in for service because I thought this was a one time event. Now it’s happened twice in less than a month.

Anybody else out there have the same pleasure? Feeling like I won’t be so lucky next time it happens trying to think how I’ll react when the hood flies open and covers the windshield.

Thoughts?
Hey there! I can look into your F-150’s hood concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Dds2014

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2022
Occupation
Tooth mechanic
This happened to me recently. Going 50mph heard a shockingly loud pop then see the warning on dash hood open thought I’d hit something and caused the hood to fold. Pulled over quickly to find no reason for the hold to unlatch itself. 2022 F150 Limited Powerboost.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This happened to me recently. Going 50mph heard a shockingly loud pop then see the warning on dash hood open thought I’d hit something and caused the hood to fold. Pulled over quickly to find no reason for the hold to unlatch itself. 2022 F150 Limited Powerboost.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Not sure if this helps, but i used to have alot of issues with my hood bumpers (in red below), and as of a couple of years ago i really increased the tightness (unscrewing them), and have had no issues since. The edges of my hood used to flap in the wind.

Curious to see how ford resolves this in our current vehicles

Ford F-150 Hood popping open on highway. Anyone else? 1658843041879
Sponsored