Sponsored

Hints-tips-tricks for Gen 14

Carphunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Stone Gray SCAB XLT 2.7 4x4
Just a note ... not a tip... but something I found by accident. Stopped at the grocery store, was talking on the phone and hit the power button for the truck. Heard a motor noise and something caught my eye. Gear shift was moving itself from drive to park.... first time I've seen a vehicle do that :)
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I did the same thing, I thought I was having a moment. I looked it up in the owners manual and there is reference to this. Page 255

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If you open your door while the truck is running and have it in drive it will shift to park.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
If you open your door while the truck is running and have it in drive it will shift to park.
Yep..
What were you doing, driving around on the driveway..
How many miles you got now, 237??
Lol

Papawsnow

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat FX4
Yeah, this one I'm not liking so much. Probably a good safety feature, but for decades I have backed with the door open when hooking up to trailers. I make a mental mark on the ground, knowing I need to back x inches to get hooked up. Have the cameras now, but not used to them yet.

Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, this one I'm not liking so much. Probably a good safety feature, but for decades I have backed with the door open when hooking up to trailers. I make a mental mark on the ground, knowing I need to back x inches to get hooked up. Have the cameras now, but not used to them yet.
Cameras are fantastic for hooking up the trailer. Get close, zoom in, and line that ball up with the hitch. Just make sure you set the park brake. If you shift into park that dang truck will roll a long way from your hitch. Never had a truck that rolls so much in park.

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Yep..
What were you doing, driving around on the driveway..
How many miles you got now, 237??
Lol
You know me too well Sonny, Lol.

No I usually open my door just before I pull into the garage to empty my drink or whatever I have in my cup. Took me a couple of times to realize what the truck was doing. I was like, I don't remember putting it into drive??

I guess that is why the put the folding shifter in all the trucks. Trying to make everything so safe for the idiots in the world I guess.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch

No I usually open my door just before I pull into the garage to empty my drink or whatever I have in my cup. Took me a couple of times to realize what the truck was doing. I was like, I don't remember putting it into drive??

I guess that is why the put the folding shifter in all the trucks. Trying to make everything so safe for the idiots in the world I guess.
Lol..
Same with me the first time it happened.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical

FYI the shifter on the steering colum does the same thing.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Also...if you do not press on the brake hard enough and shift into park...the truck turns on the park brake...found that out a few times.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Wow, did not know that
You can avoid the shift to park... just keep/have your seat belt buckled. Buckle behind you if you have to.

I am learning to use the cameras but I am still much faster just backing into the driveway with the drivers door open looking back. Then I can hit my marks every time. The cameras lack detail to precisely put the tires on the edge of the pavement. Plus nighttime resolution is really poor.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4

RVSlav

First Name
Rene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hold for F150 Lariat 2021... Order 24 march 2
Occupation
Retired
Hello
Does anyone know if we can run the generator ( 2K ) while driving?

WillB17

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
FYI you can still back up with the door open without it auto shifting to park. Its all about sequence. Start with the vehicle in park, then open the door, then shift to reverse. If you try getting out/opening the door while the truck is in reverse it assumes you forgot you were in gear, vs the door being opened first and then being shifted. This worked for me just the other day.
Sponsored