Sponsored

Highest Supercharged Mileage

2whiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150, 2001 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning
Seems like supercharged guys are frequently losing their cats or motors in the High Performance FB page. The group experts, which are generally reputable tuners or company representatives swear it’s abuse or they point fingers at ubiquitous mods that seem harmless, like side-exit style cat-back exhausts that come equipped on the Shelby and Saleen trucks. Personally, I’m starting to think these emissions system failures come with the territory of aftermarket FI and advertising blowers as emissions compatible, even if only for a few thousand miles, is the only way to stay in business.

Maybe people with good results aren’t sharing their experience, so I’m wondering what the experience is here. Who in here has the most supercharged miles on an original unopened motor, OE manifolds and catalytic converters on their 21+ F150?

Drop mileage, driving style, additional mods, canned vs custom tune, blower brand and stage if applicable.
Sponsored

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
9450 miles. spirited daily driver. stock muffler replaced with a dynomax. Roush blower with roush tune. no other engine mods.

Are the mustang people having the same issues as the F150 folks?

OP
OP
2whiny

2whiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are the mustang people having the same issues as the F150 folks?
It does seem to happen to them too. I don’t follow the coyote mustang community as much, but when I google about F150 failures, I do find plenty of fairly recent threads on the mustang forums.

2TonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
I don't have a supercharger "yet." Need to get rid of the truck payment first. But I really think the tuners have a point. My mom's Audi has supercharger, and it has close to 90k on it. She is in her late 70's now so she does not get on it much, but when the car has left the house and she is not in it, that baby sings! There are too many cars that leave the dealership with a supercharger installed with a warranty for this to be something to lose sleep over. If you want to push the boost up, well?!? The only thing I am worried about is there was a brand that was making a nasty sound pretty much all the time the car is running, but I don't think that is what you are taking about.

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
In the process of installing the Vortech/Beefcake kit now on my 23’ w/ 4k miles. Had a few coyote mustangs, first one n/a, the second Armageddon twin turbo, I put 40k miles on that one post twins, no issues.

Given the truck is near new, avoiding long term issues is one of the reasons I opted for a less aggressive approach with the centri blower vs a big (any of them) PD top-mount blower. Honestly not sure if it matters though, these motors are incredibly stout. That said anyone can blow them up with enough beating. Throw in shoddy e-tuning (or no follow-up logging and tuning) and the risks increase dramatically.

Ford F-150 Highest Supercharged Mileage IMG_1706

Sponsored

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've deliberated over getting a Roush S/C with this truck since new, now 41k miles later.

Mild/safe tune and be sure to keep up on the regimented maintenance then there shouldn't be much to concern yourself with.

There are plenty, including Ford trucks over the years, that come factory S/C.

The only reason I haven't done it to date is that I just drive way too much. Premium fuel not a concern since I do that currently. After many years and a couple of trucks I went way too far with modding (S/C/Turbo) I have a appreciation for turn key and the powerful truck it already is.

That said, go for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2whiny

2whiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not worried about the strength of the gen 4 by itself— Midnight Performance has proven the gen 3s and 4s, it’s running the canned blower tune with factory emissions equipment. I really don’t want to mess with the added noise and smells of removing the cats and would like to keep the truck compliant. I’d also like to retain the FPP warranty. My truck already has a Whipple that was installed at 33 miles and has been on for over 12k miles. I like taking the truck on road trips. I just hope I’m not stuck out in BFE with a problem and have to rely on a little Ford service center that doesn’t know what they’re looking at.

What I’m seeing on the FB page has me nervous. TBH, I probably wouldn’t have supercharged this truck after I know what I do now. It seems like a catalytic converter failure is nearly a guarantee on these gen trucks with a power adder. It seems like failures go one of two ways about 50/50: the trucks throws a P0430 and a scope reveals substrate falling apart or the guy didn’t catch it, got into boost and a huge back pressure spike causes misfiring that takes out a piston.

There must be something different about the catalytic converter set up on a factory supercharged vehicle. I own a Gen 2 lightning and had an 03 cobra. I never heard about catalytic converter failures on the factory exhaust setups for those cars. I also have done a little poking around on SRT forums and don’t see a ton of issues with the hellcat motors having issues.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Do the high-boost tuned EB trucks have the same issue?

Jaredr821

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 rocky ridge 5.0 with 3.0 whipple
Occupation
Manager
22 f150 rocky ridge 5.0 8800 miles so far 3.0 Whipple from ford performance installed from dealer at 1500 miles. Second truck with this set up 1st one went through 3 motors in 6500 miles due to cats. This time I did a straight pipe from cats to let it breath better. They said I had a bad tune on the first truck. This one has been great no issues. 716 on the dyno was very pleased with that. Drive it on my days off and when I’m close for work. Honestly waiting on the 24s to get a little further along and would love another one.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
This time I did a straight pipe from cats to let it breath better.
Like the OP I've read the stories about the CAT issues. Just curious what you mean by this? Did you move the CATs further down stream to a single cat? Or?

TIA

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
What I’m seeing on the FB page has me nervous. TBH, I probably wouldn’t have supercharged this truck after I know what I do now. It seems like a catalytic converter failure is nearly a guarantee on these gen trucks with a power adder. It seems like failures go one of two ways about 50/50: the trucks throws a P0430 and a scope reveals substrate falling apart or the guy didn’t catch it, got into boost and a huge back pressure spike causes misfiring that takes out a piston.
Certainly a concern for me as well. I think what's missing in a lot of those stories is the fuel quality, additives, custom tune or not, and how they drive it. FP claims it passes the Ford 100K mile testing. I don't know what "testing" they do to make us feel warm and fuzzy, but that's something I suppose.

What we need is a CAT that has a bypass valve so when it does clog/falls apart the back pressure has somewhere to go :)

Last edited:

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Bronco, KTM 1290R
I've always been leery of any Fakebook groups/pages stories because you never really get the whole story. (there is ALWAYS stuff left out that could've been the cause)

Is it a specific super-charger like Whipple or Roush or is it both?

I have a '24 RCSB 2Dr on order that'll be my daily driver (when I'm not riding motorcycle) and I'm not too worried, but I may consider one of the higher end Aftermarket cats to replace factory.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Certainly a concern for me as well. I think what's missing in a lot of those stories is the fuel quality, additives, custom tune or not, and how they drive it.
Also misfires and spark plug conditions can impact the CATs. I've been wondering about ways to monitor EGT temps and exhaust back pressure.....

fecalflinger

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Im going through a CAT issue right now I think. 2023 F150 RCSB with the Roush 2650 S/C. I have 4400 miles on the truck. S/C was installed on the truck brand new. Started getting P0430 code a few days ago. Now I am getting P0300 and P0430. Took it to 2 daelerships they wont touch it. Called 3rd dealership which is supposedly a Roush Dealer and they said they wouldnt touch it either. THe dealership I purchased it from is 4 hours away. I called them. They will work on it but since I live out of state they cant give me a loaner while they order parts and work on it.
Sponsored