Sponsored

High Wattage In Cabin While Driving?

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
Has anyone confirmed the wattage available in the cabin outlets while driving? My girlfriend was hoping to use a 120V heated blanket but it would shut off immediately in either outlet while driving.
Sponsored

OP
OP

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
I believe it’s 400W.
It's weird that they would limit it while driving, but not limit the bed outlets (as I understand it).

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
Aren't the interior outlets 15A on the powerboost? @grog which motor do you have?

OP
OP

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
Aren't the interior outlets 15A on the powerboost? @grog which motor do you have?
I have the powerboost. When not driving, I occasionally use the interior plugs with things like a 12 amp shop vac and it works fine.

Sponsored

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
The Blanket might be freaking out because of ground?
Why dont you plug in something you can run while driving like a microwave or something and see if it works. Getting the full 15A while driving is pretty important to me if it doesn't work that way I'm going to be kinda bummed.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Why dont you plug in something you can run while driving like a microwave or something and see if it works. Getting the full 15A while driving is pretty important to me if it doesn't work that way I'm going to be kinda bummed.
The cab outlets on my 2.4 kw powerboost are stamped at 20 amp. There is the usual outlet in the backseat that’s rated to 400 watts as well. Not sure if it would make a difference if the blanket was a two prong or three prong plug.

OP
OP

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
I think that's it. That particular blanket seems to have some kind of circuitry to detect a bonded neutral. It would turn on momentarily (0.5 - 1s) and then turn off, even while parked, and even with the bed outlets. I tested two other heating blankets (my girlfriend might have a problem) and they seemed to work. The problem blanket works fine in the house.

What were you planning to run on those outlets while driving? I'm guessing most things will work without a problem, and my case was an exception.
Sponsored