HELP: "Stop Safely Now" message?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I"ve noticed that every time we walk close to the truck in our garage with our keys it "wakes up", I'm wondering if that contributes to battery drain. The dealer had already replaced our batteries and starter, going to try driving it more to see if it prevents the battery drain.
I assure you that every time you trigger the approach features of your truck, the 12V battery experiences an immediate drain. A bigger hit than you might imagine too, depending on the current health of the battery itself.
Left alone for enough time, a healthy battery will eventually recover and return to the static voltage it was at before the triggered event. And it takes longer than you might think for the various modules that were awakened to go back to sleep.

The service manual states up to 75 minutes.
Sponsored

mommarazzi

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 hybrid Lariat, 2021 Ford Escape hyb
I assure you that every time you trigger the approach features of your truck, the 12V battery experiences an immediate drain. A bigger hit than you might imagine too, depending on the current health of the battery itself.
Left alone for enough time, a healthy battery will eventually recover and return to the static voltage it was at before the triggered event. And it takes longer than you might think for the various modules that were awakened to go back to sleep.

Good to know. have to remember not to carry keys into the garage!

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost

I think this is part of the puzzle for the SSN events. My one (and so far only) SSN happened camping with the PB hooked up to the Airstream very close to the key FOB all night. There have been several other "camping" SSN events reported over the Summer. The question is how far away from the truck should you store the key FOB? What logic is use by the truck to determine the key FOB is approaching the truck triggering a wake up? All of this could explain why some of us see a mysterious decline in 12 volt battery SOC overnight with no purposeful interaction with the truck camping or at home in the garage.

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I picked up my truck last night from my local dealer after showing them the TSB 22-2317. Apparently I had this already installed. They replaced the battery which they claim was the culprit. The battery they replaced was new in June when I bought the truck new off the lot and the OEM battery was dead. We shall see if this fixed my problem or I have a parasitic voltage leak somewhere else.
IMG_1404.jpeg
I had a “Full Accessory” failure in Feb (2mo old); bad battery replaced. I use remote start (App/Fob) frequently or 2 step start most of the time; also try to leave battery charged, especially at night. So far so good. I do worry about valet parking overnight.
Took truck for oil change/inspection yesterday. No problems found, I asked about SSN and they were clueless. Rural dealer(but many trucks, at least 4 PB on lot) and early in the PB learning curve. I did not press for an update, especially since they are not familiar.
My Emergency Brake cable was OK, but they added support and protection. Tires rotated, no sheared bolts, yet.
Question- could Ford be slipping code repair for SSN in routine updates? I am current.

mommarazzi

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think this is part of the puzzle for the SSN events. My one (and so far only) SSN happened camping with the PB hooked up to the Airstream very close to the key FOB all night. There have been several other "camping" SSN events reported over the Summer. The question is how far away from the truck should you store the key FOB? What logic is use by the truck to determine the key FOB is approaching the truck triggering a wake up? All of this could explain why some of us see a mysterious decline in 12 volt battery SOC overnight with no purposeful interaction with the truck camping or at home in the garage.
So we have experimented with this as my husband Rick's home office is in the room adjacent to the garage. If he has the key by his desk (12-15 feet) it does not wake up the F-150. It seems to activate within 5 feet of the truck. Does anyone know if there a way to disable this feature?

Sponsored

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
So we have experimented with this as my husband Rick's home office is in the room adjacent to the garage. If he has the key by his desk (12-15 feet) it does not wake up the F-150. It seems to activate within 5 feet of the truck. Does anyone know if there a way to disable this feature?
On my non-PB model (glad I don't have this) There is a 'welcome lighting' option that you can toggle on the 12" sync screen - as you walk up to the truck with the key fob the LED lights go on, day or night.. If you keep your key near the truck I can see how this would cause a drain, but you should/would see it. The truck may think because the owner is approaching with the key fob, that it gets ready to run on a PB model - perhaps in addition to turning on the 'welcome lighting'

I noticed on 2024+ models if you want more than 400 Watt outlets you have to get the PB model - which also results in not getting the 36 gal tank.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yea, Powerboost gets an exclusive 30 gallons tank due to architecture underneath.

A Powerboost with 30 gallons has a similar range as an ICE with 36 gallons.
On average, anyways.

skohler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 platinum PB
Just made my first appt with my 3 month old truck to get this dealt with. Yesterday was my second SSN message with 2700 miles on the odometer, also mentioned the quirky apple CarPlay noises and sync reboots I randomly get. I did check with forscan and have U0111, U0293, P1A43, U0140, U0293 codes. I believe some of these are part of the TSB, will know hopefully more nest week.

Sponsored

Sfg57

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum Powerboost, 2021 Lariat Poweboost
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately I received this message yesterday morning and was unable to use the app to start. I used the two step method and it started. I always received this message prior to getting the SSN and no start.

if I receive the message again and am not in a hurry to get anywhere I’ll give it a try and let you know. Just to be clear this is after the TSB was applied and a new battery installed.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I received the "Stop Safely Now" alert myself, about a year ago. And I can assure you that my 2022 doesn't have the 2023 No Start malady.

So there's definitely more than one scenario that can trigger the SSN alert.

Sfg57

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum Powerboost, 2021 Lariat Poweboost
Occupation
Retired
I received the "Stop Safely Now" alert myself, about a year ago. And I can assure you that my 2022 doesn't have the 2023 No Start malady.

So there's definitely more than one scenario that can trigger the SSN alert.
Thanks for letting me know. It's great to have someone like you on this forum who knows what they are talking about and gives us great advice! I'll let you know if I have an issue starting when this happens again.

mommarazzi

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First long trip planned so hopefully the tips here plus the computer update will get us through. I agree, this forum with experts like Snakebitten and Ford Service have definitely given us more confidence. Fingers crossed!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks guys for the flattering words.
But I'm really just an old man with too much discretionary time on his hands?
And admittedly completely enamored with his rolling PowerGrid. 😁

The truck is simply amazing, albeit with a few quirks that require some effort to live with. Very much worth it, so far.
Sponsored