Help me configure my perfect build!

Jcway16

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
So I just placed an order for my truck on 8/19, below is what I went with. Is there any ‘must-have’ or cool little unknown options that I may be missing?

Here’s what I went with:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-Carbonized Gray
-4WD
-3.73 electronic locking
-302a high
-Auto start/stop delete
-Max trailer tow package (does this add bigger coolers or bigger brakes?)
-B&O sound
-Toughbed spray in bed liner

I do plan on doing the following:
-Switch to Agate Black
-Add FX4
-Add Wheel well liners

Is there anything else I may be missing?

Usage will be typical diy home owner usage, nothing crazy. But, being a ‘car guy’ and this being my first brand new vehicle at almost 40 years old, I wanted exactly the truck I wanted as I really liked my ‘16 that was specc’ed out how I wanted, which I just sold.

I added the max towing package not because I will really be towing anything, but it added some options I wanted like the 36 gallon tank and 3.73 electronic locking rear axle. I also thought it may possibly add a larger transmission cooler. Does the max towing package add any larger coolers or larger brakes? The dealer computer showed an enhancement to the rear bumper with the max towing package, what is that about?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
So I just placed an order for my truck on 8/19, below is what I went with. Is there any ‘must-have’ or cool little unknown options that I may be missing?

Here’s what I went with:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-Carbonized Gray
-4WD
-3.73 electronic locking
-302a high
-Auto start/stop delete
-Max trailer tow package (does this a** ni**er coolers or bigger brakes?)
-B&O sound

-Switch to Agate Black
-Add FX4
-Add Wheel well liners

Usage will be typical diy home owner usage, nothing crazy. But, being a ‘car guy’ and this being my first brand new vehicle at almost 40 years old, I wanted exactly the truck I wanted as I really liked my ‘16 that was specc’ed out how I wanted, which I just sold.

I added the max towing package not because I will really be towing anything, but it added some options I wanted like the 36 gallon tank and 3.73 electronic locking rear axle. I also thought it may possibly add a larger transmission cooler. Does the max towing package add any larger coolers or larger brakes? The dealer computer showed an enhancement to the rear bumper with the max towing package, what is that about?
Ummmm.....

"-Max trailer tow package (does this a** ni**er coolers or bigger brakes?)?

?

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
hahahhaha fixed, I have no idea how that happened
lol I had to do a double take when I saw that

To answer your original question, the only thing missing is a 360 cam imo

mschiraldi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 2.7 SCREW
360 camera and Copilot Assist (not fully automated driving). We only drive 8hr plus a couple times a year but have the automatic cruise control in another vehicle and I wish I ordered it. Looks like a great build!

Sponsored

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
+1 on the 360. Wasn't sure I needed/wanted it, now don't know how I lived without it.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150

Here’s what I went with:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-Carbonized Gray
-4WD
-3.73 electronic locking
-302a high
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound

-Switch to Agate Black
-Add FX4
-Add Wheel well liners

Skip the factory add ons like the spray in bed liner because they’re delayed 10-12 weeks and so are tonneau covers and wheel well liners. Do this aftermarket for a similar cost. FX4 adds Elocking and skid plates as well as floor liners. It’s a lot for what you’re getting and the elock is in the max tow. You will get a tranny cooler and rear stabilizer bar in the max tow. It’s a nice build...XLT 302A is the best value and highest selling package by a mile.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Looks good. similar to mine, 5.0 373 elocker
Things I got I like:
tailgate work surface
rear window (hot days, kids, dogs)
400 watt
boxlink

Wish I got:
FX4 adds hill decent and rock crawl, skids, nice
extended running boards

Liquid-Todd_AZ

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Occupation
Sales
I ordered a lariat 4x4 sport pkg yesterday in lead foot, pretty much the same options as you, but I went 3.5L. I drove the 5.0 and 3.5 back to back and the 3.5 won the competition.

OP
OP

Jcway16

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT
Skip the factory add ons like the spray in bed liner because they’re delayed 10-12 weeks and so are tonneau covers and wheel well liners. Do this aftermarket for a similar cost. FX4 adds Elocking and skid plates as well as floor liners. It’s a lot for what you’re getting and the elock is in the max tow. You will get a tranny cooler and rear stabilizer bar in the max tow. It’s a nice build...XLT 302A is the best value and highest selling package by a mile.
I had no idea about the bed liner and wheel well liner delay, thanks!

Sponsored

wsp1811

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport-Screw, 2.7L,carbonized grey, 302a.

Here’s what I went with:
-XLT w/ Sport Appearance
-SuperCrew
-5.5’ bed
-Carbonized Gray
-4WD
-3.73 electronic locking
-302a high
-Auto start/stop delete
-B&O sound

-Switch to Agate Black
-Add FX4
-Add Wheel well liners

I just received mine a few weeks ago after ordering in February. I got the carbonized gray and would not change it, great color. I also got the B&O upgrade, I love music and it sounds great. I got the 2.7L and love that engine. Plenty of torque and speed and averaging 23-24mpg.
I'd would skip the ford wheelwell liners, i purchased the Husky for under $100. They are cheaper and cover better. I also had the dealer spray in the bedliner upon delivery, was only $422 versus the more expensive factory job.
I added the sliding rear window and the 360 co-pilot assist. The 360 cameras are awesome. I use those much more than I thought I would. This truck sits higher than my old truck and sight lines are tough. Now I just look at that big 12" screen as I back up and position while parking.
Sounds like a great build!

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Absolutely get aftermarket sprayed bedliner. Dealer probably has someone they work with. But, you can find one locally too.

Caniki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Limited
this was not true for my Dearborn build.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
max trailer tow includes larger rear brake rotors and a different rear bumper … if you don't need the extra rating, it's expensive … if I built mine again today, I'd probably leave that out and get aftermarket airbags for the rear leafs if needed (probably not) but I tow a triple axle race trailer and didn't want to be too clever.

spray-in is ugly compared to a simple bed rug … if you're going to be dumping stuff in the bed, ok, otherwise, I'd rather the painted bed look and the bed rug.

360º camera is invaluable … this is a lot of truck to maneuver and one "oops" pays for the cameras

tow mirrors … if you're going to tow, you need the width of the tow mirrors, plus they have rather handy spot lights, and they extend and fold electrically … invaluable

wouldn't bother with factory wheel well liners, aftermarket liners are bigger and cover up better

I have the fold-flat seats (ok, but 'spensive and not a game changer)

I have the work surface, but I don't use it. I guess I'd get it as a "why not?" but it's nothing special.

I have the tailgate step, I generally don't bother using it, but I guess if that's the main thing you do is move stuff in and out of the bed, it does the job.

Co-pilot is great: self-steering is a game-changer for long drives. Wouldn't buy another vehicle without it.

The B&O Bachman–Turner Overdrive whatever it's called system is good, but not great. I wouldn't pay too much for it. That's something where an aftermarket upgrade to the speakers would suffice, I think, but mostly I listen to Joe Rogan on Spotify over bluetooth … : )

The thing about ordering now is to wait until you can order a '22 and get the resale value and whatever updates arrive in that model year. I was told that could be as soon as September.
Sponsored