Sponsored

Help a total noob with wheel/tire choices for ride quality

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
My 2022 f150xl will be delivered in a few weeks. I have the stock 17" tires/wheels. I want something that looks better, probably black wheels. My #1 priority is ride quality. I will occasionally tow a very light travel trailer, other than that I'll be in 2wd 99% of the time on the road. There's a ton of options regarding wheels, tires, I would like to have somewhat of an idea of what I am looking for so I don't go into a shop and get steered wrong.

Also, can I swap the tires from my OEM wheels or should I just sell the wheels + tires and buy new wheels and tires?

I was thinking black wheels in 17 or 18", whatever is the better ride quality overall. Any brand suggestions would be great. I appreciate the help!
Sponsored

SupraVu

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck, SUV. another SUV, and a sedan
I had 20'' Michelin Defender LTXs on my '17 F150. Ride quality was the same, if not better than the stock 17s

Last edited:

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I have no idea what your OEM tire will be in that size, but you may like it well enough.

If you don't, and considering you are not in a snow state...

I'd strongly consider:
1. Firestone Destination LE3
2. Michelin Defender LTX
3. Continental TerrainContact H/T

You will really enjoy the ride, comfort, and performance of any of them.

Also.....I'd look for some take off's that you can find for a good price. There are usually a ton of brand new 18" sport wheels available on Ebay. They aren't black, but they are machined with nice black accents.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I have no idea what your OEM tire will be in that size, but you may like it well enough.

If you don't, and considering you are not in a snow state...

I'd strongly consider:
1. Firestone Destination LE3
2. Michelin Defender LTX
3. Continental TerrainContact H/T

You will really enjoy the ride, comfort, and performance of any of them.

Also.....I'd look for some take off's that you can find for a good price. There are usually a ton of brand new 18" sport wheels available on Ebay. They aren't black, but they are machined with nice black accents.
Thanks for the advice. Are these what you are referring to? I could buy these and have my shop just charge me to swap the wheels?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304175540210?hash=item46d24667f2:g:BscAAOSwdXlhXfAR

From my research of your suggestions, I'll probably just go with the Michelin Defender's. Seem to be the best overall but obviously most expensive.

Last edited:

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Thanks for the advice. Are these what you are referring to? I could buy these and have my shop just charge me to swap the wheels?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304175540210?hash=item46d24667f2:g:BscAAOSwdXlhXfAR

From my research of your suggestions, I'll probably just go with the Michelin Defender's. Seem to be the best overall but obviously most expensive.

Yep!

Strong value for 150 a pop. Factory offset so no issues with fuel economy or "poke". I'll be changing my 18 chrome stockies for an aftermarket wheel, but I'd be tempted to keep the 18 sports..

As far as Defenders go...they wear like iron. The biggest con is they look like a bus tire. I'd check out what rebates are available and decide from there.

Congrats again on the truck!! Hopefully, I'm not far behind you (chip hold).

Sponsored

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
I’m blown away how well my cooper discoverer XLT A3 has performed. Super quiet ride , not overly heavy and so far has handled mud and rut roads vw RT well. I’ve had BFG Ko2 , toyo RT , and Nitto RGP

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Yep!

Strong value for 150 a pop. Factory offset so no issues with fuel economy or "poke". I'll be changing my 18 chrome stockies for an aftermarket wheel, but I'd be tempted to keep the 18 sports..

As far as Defenders go...they wear like iron. The biggest con is they look like a bus tire. I'd check out what rebates are available and decide from there.

Congrats again on the truck!! Hopefully, I'm not far behind you (chip hold).
Great. One more question for you, what size tire would be best on the 18" sport wheels for ride quality and decent aesthetics?

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Great. One more question for you, what size tire would be best on the 18" sport wheels for ride quality and decent aesthetics?
I would go stock at 275/65/18

The aesthetics aren't the greatest because there will be some space between the tire and the wheel well. That being said, to go to a larger 18 inch tire, you are going to an E rated tire which adds substantial weight and less forgiving sidewalls. Unless you really want a more aggressive look, I'd stick with stock to meet your stated goals.

That being said....

These are expensive vehicles, doesn't matter what I think or what is "best on paper". You want to love your truck while you own, so if you find wheels or tires that you fall in love with, just go that route !

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I would go stock at 275/65/18

The aesthetics aren't the greatest because there will be some space between the tire and the wheel well. That being said, to go to a larger 18 inch tire, you are going to an E rated tire which adds substantial weight and less forgiving sidewalls. Unless you really want a more aggressive look, I'd stick with stock to meet your stated goals.

That being said....

These are expensive vehicles, doesn't matter what I think or what is "best on paper". You want to love your truck while you own, so if you find wheels or tires that you fall in love with, just go that route !
Ok great. So if I buy the above sport 18" wheels, I buy the lug nuts, do I also need to buy the "TPMS?" or is that something I can use from my stock wheels? It seems like all of them don't include the TPMS. Thanks

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Ok great. So if I buy the above sport 18" wheels, I buy the lug nuts, do I also need to buy the "TPMS?" or is that something I can use from my stock wheels? It seems like all of them don't include the TPMS. Thanks

Going stock to stock, you should be able to use current lug nuts and TPMS sensors.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Bought the 18" sport wheels and lug nuts on ebay. Will have them swap the TPMS. Just deciding on tires.. my tire guy says the LTX's are overkill. Hopefully mileage doesn't suffer much with the 275 tires either since the 265's look like donuts to me, still too small.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
For wheels, check out Custom Offsets gallery..tons of pics to give some ideas

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Went with the 18" sport wheels + michelin defender LTX's 275/65/18r 116(not E rated). Love it.

Just curious- anyone know the correct tire pressure for these? is it still 35? They are all at 38 right now from the shop.

Ford F-150 Help a total noob with wheel/tire choices for ride quality 1660276255101

Last edited:

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Went with the 18" sport wheels + michelin defender LTX's 275/65/18r 116(not E rated). Love it.

Just curious- anyone know the correct tire pressure for these? is it still 35? They are all at 38 right now from the shop.

1660276255101.png
I’m running the stock Goodyear wranglers on the sport wheels and my door jam says 35psi, so yeah probably still a good number to go with.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I’m running the stock Goodyear wranglers on the sport wheels and my door jam says 35psi, so yeah probably still a good number to go with.
How are they in snow? I don’t know much about truck tires.
Sponsored