Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I have a 23 Tremor 402a and bought a heated steering wheel on ebay with the orange trim - I had popped the air bag off of my wheel and it didn't have the plug for heated. How do I know what other stuff I need to buy(preferably part numbers)? I read that some were coming pre wired but how do I know if the wiring is there or not? Thank you!
Since you have the same truck as me, I would bet that the wiring is in place, and all you need now is a new SCCM and HVAC module with the heated steering wheel button. To check for the wiring you need to pull the plastic trim around the steering wheel off and see if something is plugged in to the back of the SCCM. All of the info you need is already in this thread.
Sponsored

Bucknut22

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tremor
Thank you so much @B-real !

I've read through a ton of the pages, but then got a bit lost. My build date was end of January.

Have a great day

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Thank you so much @B-real !

I've read through a ton of the pages, but then got a bit lost. My build date was end of January.

Have a great day
I get it. Its a long thread. Years ago I did a steering wheel swap on a 17 without reading through all 150 pages of the thread detailing how to do it. I missed an important page, that had I spent an additional hour up front reading, it would have saved me 3 hours on the install.

I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but have found that the info on this forum is invaluable in helping me make sure I understand 100% how to do a project before I dive in. Between this thread and a few related ones on other forums, along with watching some YouTube videos showing how to remove the steering wheel and other trim pieces, I was able to do the steering wheel swap (steering wheel, SCCM and HVAC) in under 90 min., including the Forscan changes. I did hours of research ahead of time though.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Completed Heated steering Wheel install.

I have a 2023 Powerboost XLT 302A

My truck did indeed come prewired to my surprise.
I have a '23 5.0 XLT 302A. Was hoping for similar luck, but was not the case with mine.

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 20230517_102112

Sponsored

Jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
So I have done this mod, but I'm not sure if I can do the software button on my screen. I have a 2023 lightning pro model and I would assume that switching to a f250 would cause some issues that are unintended. Does anyone know of a way to add an on screen button to the 12 inch screens, or know how to do it on a lightning? I know that obviously this is not a lightning forum and I've asked in those forums, but you guys have done far more work on this than anyone else has, and I keep getting referred back to here anyway. I'd appreicate any help, thanks!

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
So I have done this mod, but I'm not sure if I can do the software button on my screen. I have a 2023 lightning pro model and I would assume that switching to a f250 would cause some issues that are unintended. Does anyone know of a way to add an on screen button to the 12 inch screens, or know how to do it on a lightning? I know that obviously this is not a lightning forum and I've asked in those forums, but you guys have done far more work on this than anyone else has, and I keep getting referred back to here anyway. I'd appreicate any help, thanks!
If you have a Pro model then you should have the same dash layout as us, not the vertical screen right? If so then why not get the HVAC module with the hard buttton?

Jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
If you have a Pro model then you should have the same dash layout as us, not the vertical screen right? If so then why not get the HVAC module with the hard buttton?
I'd be willing to do that as well, I just don't know the product number. I know the XLT version of the lightning has a physical button as well, but I haven't been able to find that one either. My truck has the heated seats and a button to turn on the heated mirrors, but I don't have a heated rear window or anything

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Ive seen pics (and maybe part #s) for the HVAC with heated seats and heated steering, maybe even on this thread. You might be able to dig through this thread and find it, and even if the module you get has a button you dont need, loading your AB files through Forscan and then just making the changes for the heated steering would probably just leave the unneeded buttons not working. I havent personally tried this, but it seems worth a shot. Otherwise you can read up about using Forscan to do the Unreal theme (which adds the seat and steering wheel buttons to the touch screen), but that might also add a cooled seat button.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I have also seen a picture of what I consider to be a unicorn HVAC control with a heated steering wheel button but no ventilated seat buttons. I've never seen one of these for sale though.

Sponsored

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21(1).302.PB.157.OX
^the bummer is i havent seen one that also has digital temps in knobs. seems you cannot have evvvveryyything.

Jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Ive seen pics (and maybe part #s) for the HVAC with heated seats and heated steering, maybe even on this thread. You might be able to dig through this thread and find it, and even if the module you get has a button you dont need, loading your AB files through Forscan and then just making the changes for the heated steering would probably just leave the unneeded buttons not working. I havent personally tried this, but it seems worth a shot. Otherwise you can read up about using Forscan to do the Unreal theme (which adds the seat and steering wheel buttons to the touch screen), but that might also add a cooled seat button.
I've thought about adding cooled seats if I got katzkin leather (since my seats are vinyl), I'd assume that I could wire it so those cooled seat buttons would activate that way...

Bucknut22

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tremor
I made the addition Saturday and just wanted to thank everybody that had contributed to this thread. @B-real was a huge help. Thank you @Jimbo7 for offering to sell me his wiring harness if mine didn't have it (I think that was on the tremor forum though).
Y'all rock

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I made the addition Saturday and just wanted to thank everybody that had contributed to this thread. @B-real was a huge help. Thank you @Jimbo7 for offering to sell me his wiring harness if mine didn't have it (I think that was on the tremor forum though).
Y'all rock
Glad you got it set. I wouldnt have made any of my upgrades without the help of many others on here before me.

Jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I've been able to get the button to show up if I put the climate bar at the bottom of the screen, but it is greyed out and won't let me select it. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored