Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I have the BB SCCM part, but I also have the power tilt. Havent gotten around to doing this yet, but I was assuming that I would just swap that power tilt button over to the new SCCM. Am I wrong?
You should just be able to swap the controls switch over to the new SCCM without issue, I mean assuming you program the new SCCM with the factory as builts
Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
You should just be able to swap the controls switch over to the new SCCM without issue, I mean assuming you program the new SCCM with the factory as builts
That’s what I thought

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'll just leave this here again from my post a few short weeks ago... 😑
Yeah.. I like that fact someone quotes my post to say what I posted doesnt exist. I dont understand some people on these forums.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
While I am still waiting for my truck to arrive, this mod is something that I am definitely interested in. I saw the grounding location used in the video, but what location have others used for the ground? Also, I believe that I read somewhere along the way that this circuit required a minimum of 10 gauge wire, but I saw that others are using either 18 or 16 gauge. Has anyone measured the amp draw with the heated wheel turned on and if so, what were your findings?

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
While I am still waiting for my truck to arrive, this mod is something that I am definitely interested in. I saw the grounding location used in the video, but what location have others used for the ground? Also, I believe that I read somewhere along the way that this circuit required a minimum of 10 gauge wire, but I saw that others are using either 18 or 16 gauge. Has anyone measured the amp draw with the heated wheel turned on and if so, what were your findings?
All of that confusion was cleared up a few posts later. The OEM wiring diagrams show 18 gauge. I grounded mine on the BCM ground. IIRC you need a 5/16” terminal ring to fit over the grounding post.

Sponsored

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Very first world problem here. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for on my 23 Limited to restore the heated steering wheel function? I haven't taken things apart to see what it there.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Very first world problem here. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for on my 23 Limited to restore the heated steering wheel function? I haven't taken things apart to see what it there.
Wow, I'm surprised you got shorted it on a Limited, didn't even now less was an option on those. You most likely have adaptive steering then? That gets tricky as that changes everything, different wheel and SCCM. I didn't even know they made a less heated adaptive steering setup but guess I'm wrong. I would pop the airbag and see what you're working with, if the wheel has the heat elements it might not be too bad, but if you have nothing at all it's going to be $$$.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Wow, I'm surprised you got shorted it on a Limited, didn't even now less was an option on those. You most likely have adaptive steering then? That gets tricky as that changes everything, different wheel and SCCM. I didn't even know they made a less heated adaptive steering setup but guess I'm wrong. I would pop the airbag and see what you're working with, if the wheel has the heat elements it might not be too bad, but if you have nothing at all it's going to be $$$.
Chip/supply shortage removals - no heated steering wheel, no multi contour seats, no inclination/internal security sensor. I've never had any of these so I'm not missing them but my wife mentioned a heated wheel might be nice in the winter.

There is a wheel & clockspring assembly on ebay that claims to be a new pull for less than the clockspring from TASCO. The question is what is the clockspring part number that has the heating connector and same for SCCM.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
My HVAC module is back bolted in, but all the trim pieces are still off. I haven't run the wire yet, haven't made the connection due to not knowing what length is needed.

Is it easier to run from BMC to wheel or other way around?
I didn't see how to route the wire, even with whole HVAC panel off. Is it a push and feel until I see the cable on the other side?

I don't have specialty wiring tool, coat hangers, etc, or anybody to ask to assist me. The people that have done the swap make it sound so simple, when it's not. I just don't see a way to run the wire from the column to the hvac portion. Any pictures or videos are greatly appreciated.

Also, there is no gauge here, only mm. 1.5 seemed the closest, but it's straight copper, not wire. Will that work? Harder to cut and solder.
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 10.50.12

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
My HVAC module is back bolted in, but all the trim pieces are still off. I haven't run the wire yet, haven't made the connection due to not knowing what length is needed.

I didn't see how to route the wire, even with whole HVAC panel off. Is it a push and feel until I see the cable on the other side?

I don't have specialty wiring tool, coat hangers, etc, or anybody to ask to assist me. The people that have done the swap make it sound so simple, when it's not. I just don't see a way to run the wire from the column to the hvac portion. Any pictures or videos are greatly appreciated.

Also, there is no gauge here, only mm. 1.5 seemed the closest, but it's straight copper, not wire. Will that work? Harder to cut and solder.
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 10.50.12.png
A very quick google search showed me that 18 gauge wire is 1 mm^2 Cross section. No need for soldering, just crimping wire terminals.

so are you saying there’s no wire coat hangers on Germany? Or that you just don’t have one? I routed mine from the steering column, behind the push button start trim, behind the HVAC module, behind the glove box all the way to the opposite side of the truck and down to the BCM. From there I cut the wires just a little longer than they needed to be to reach the BCM, crimped the connector terminal and ring terminal, then pinned the one connector and bolted down the ring terminal.

Sponsored

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you I’ll try to prewire.The ring terminal I bought can’t be crimped. I guess I’ll try a workaround or look for others.

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
Wow, I'm surprised you got shorted it on a Limited, didn't even now less was an option on those. You most likely have adaptive steering then? That gets tricky as that changes everything, different wheel and SCCM.
Pretty sure he doesn't have adaptive steering. They won't let you order that on any 2023 F150, unless something has changed very recently. Doesn't matter what trim you bought in early '23 - Ford deleted the heated steering wheel for you.

I just got my '23 Platinum, loaded up like a Limited. I haven't pulled it apart yet but am operating under the theory that the shortage that put "STEERING WHEEL - HEAT REMOVAL" on the sticker will have been at the SCCM only. I've only recently managed to get Tasca to accept an order for what I think is the right bit - ML3Z-3F791-BB - to solve the problem. If/when that shows up and looks right, I'll buy the steering wheel bolt and follow through on the mod.

Of course they've also put in an HVAC control module that doesn't have the heated steering button because that'd be trivial to do (and leaving the button would have added insult to injury). I will swap that for a ML3Z-19980-K, which is easy to get and has the temp read-outs on the dials.

My bet is that the wheel itself and the wiring are already what they need to be. If/when the ML3Z-3F791-BB shows up and is what I need, I'll proceed with the changes and post here. So grateful folks here have already done so much work on this!

I know this is not particularly helpful, but because it was an easy photo to take, here is a pic of the "not heated steering" HVAC module in my '23 platinum poised behind the unit that I expect to install, once I have heated steering at the wheel.

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_0443

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_0432

angrycookieman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150. Atlas blue sport fx4 xlt 302a 3.5

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 10.50.12.png
If you mean solid wire, not stranded, that is not what you want. Go ahead and find some good stranded copper wire.

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Finally got the heated steering wheel delivered so I was able to add the final piece to the puzzle.

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_9900

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_9901

This is the run down on what I had to do to get this to work for my23 Lariat 502.

1. Bought HVAC control with heated steering wheel button and loaded As built file to it
2. Added SCCM and loaded as built file to it
3. Added heated steering wheel
4. Went in and only had to change one value to enable the heated steering wheel:
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_9931
. Everything else was already correct with my as built files. I also noticed the value for auto timeout for the heat was already set to no timeout.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you mean solid wire, not stranded, that is not what you want. Go ahead and find some good stranded copper wire.
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information image

It’s solid. Will this not work then? Should I just use speaker wire then?
Sponsored