Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yea I felt like I wanted the hard button, so I went ahead and ponied up for a module with the temp displays, since I have a 2021. I really like that I can see them at a glance without looking at the screen. I thought might source the parts now since they will not be making any more of the temp display units. Did you buy new or used HVAC module? If you bought new - did you have reprogram via FDRS?
I bought a new one. Supposedly these can just be programmed by dropping in the as-builts in FORScan. There was a thread in which @FrankThompson swapped his and he just had to drop in the as-builts. I'll see if I can find the posts.

I have not yet had a chance to install mine
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Here is what I did to get mine hooked up, rude and crude I know, but simple fuse tap off a similar keyed source. I swap my trucks quite often so wanted something a little less permanent and easy to take out. Tapped into F29 and so far so good. Got mine all hooked up and working today finally as weather is starting to turn, and let me tell you... heated steering wheel is very nice 👍

1667707437848.png
So did you just hot-wire the steering wheel and not bother getting a clock spring or module? If so can you describe how you got the wire down from the steering wheel to the fuse block? thanks!

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Here is a quick video on the hardware side of this swap and I'm no Youtuber by any means. All the other details, part numbers, schematics, Forscan changes required can easily be found by reading through this thread top to bottom.

Sponsored

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 501a Powerboost
Here is a quick video on the hardware side of this swap and I'm no Youtuber by any means. All the other details, part numbers, schematics, Forscan changes required can easily be found by reading through this thread top to bottom.

NE CO eh? Not too far from me in Cheyenne. Feel like I owe you a steak dinner for all you've done to help those of us wanting to do this mod on our own trucks. I have all my parts, now I just need the spine to do it

dhageremtp

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
NE CO eh? Not too far from me in Cheyenne. Feel like I owe you a steak dinner for all you've done to help those of us wanting to do this mod on our own trucks. I have all my parts, now I just need the spine to do it

On my previous generation truck, I felt like the hardest step was to get the airbag out. I disconnected the battery and let it sit a hour before I touched it. Was nervous and struggled to get it out. From there the rest was easy in my book. I am not much of a motor guy/car guy. I know enough to be dangerous.......

Last edited:

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Yep, I'm from Pine originally haha. I remember seeing you were from Cheyenne as well now.
If that's the case... Rib & Chop??? 😁

Its a very easy swap, actually surprisingly easy for what it takes for what you gain from it. Just do your research and take your time and all will be good.

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 501a Powerboost
Yep, I'm from Pine originally haha. I remember seeing you were from Cheyenne as well now.
If that's the case... Rib & Chop??? 😁

Its a very easy swap, actually surprisingly easy for what it takes for what you gain from it. Just do your research and take your time and all will be good.
Come by and lend a hand getting this wheel installed and it’s a deal ;)

BEVolution

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y adding Lightning
I’m interested in buying a leather steering wheel if anyone is doing the swap needs to get rid of one. Phoenix

Sponsored

jpsmitty16

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Following this thread.. I am one of the ones with the deleted ‘23 heated wheel option on the lariat. I see we have to buy the wiper blade module thingy but do we need to buy a whole new steering wheel too? I wish ford didn’t make this so difficult… and also only credit us $140 wtf

poomobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Thank you for the video. Quick question…does the wheel go on straight…like where it’s supposed to go or do you have to mark the center somehow?

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
Following this thread.. I am one of the ones with the deleted ‘23 heated wheel option on the lariat. I see we have to buy the wiper blade module thingy but do we need to buy a whole new steering wheel too? I wish ford didn’t make this so difficult… and also only credit us $140 wtf
Just found out that the '23 Platinum I have on order will also have the deleted steering wheel heat so following this thread with interest. I just don't know how we can _know_ whether a new wheel is needed without removing the airbag and looking for the heating element connector, which means waiting for the truck to show up. I have to assume, for now, that this will mean another $1.1-$1.2k for the right wheel, and figuring out which one to buy... ugh!

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Thank you for the video. Quick question…does the wheel go on straight…like where it’s supposed to go or do you have to mark the center somehow?
The wheel bolts to a six sided shaft, so pretty hard to mess that up if you keep it straight.
Sponsored