Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
came across this one another forum. anyone seen before and know part number?

4EEB7D4F-51B8-498C-B3AA-458735B920E7.png
FWIW you can use the one with the heated / cooled seats. You need FDRS to PMI it to your truck if you don't have cooled seats. The cooled seats button won't work, but FDRS will program the heat properly. The heat-only seats are powered from the HVAC control module. The heated / cooled seats are powered via the DSM under the driver's seat and requires a few more bit flips as well as dedicated wiring between the seats and an additional power cable ran to the drivers seat.

I PMI'd the HSW / platinum unit from a 21 MY and the heat worked with XLT seats. After I swapped seats out it the heat showed working but the seats are wired to get heat from the DSM. After the install I flipped several forscan bits and the heated wheel + heated / cooled seats work as they should.
Sponsored

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
FWIW you can use the one with the heated / cooled seats. You need FDRS to PMI it to your truck if you don't have cooled seats. The cooled seats button won't work, but FDRS will program the heat properly. The heat-only seats are powered from the HVAC control module. The heated / cooled seats are powered via the DSM under the driver's seat and requires a few more bit flips as well as dedicated wiring between the seats and an additional power cable ran to the drivers seat.

I PMI'd the HSW / platinum unit from a 21 MY and the heat worked with XLT seats. After I swapped seats out it the heat showed working but the seats are wired to get heat from the DSM. After the install I flipped several forscan bits and the heated wheel + heated / cooled seats work as they should.
Question. I just replaced my HVAC control module in an XLT truck with heated seats for one of the higher trim models with the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel option. I Loaded the HVAC settings from my original HVAC module onto the new unit. My heated seats failed to work but everything else does. Do you think this means I have a faulty unit or is there some other programming that needs to take place that I am missing. I assumed if I loaded my stock build using for scan to the new module that the heated seats would work. I saw a person in this thread towards the beginning had a similar issue. I really like the digital readout on the upgraded hvac module vs. my stock one.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Question. I just replaced my HVAC control module in an XLT truck with heated seats for one of the higher trim models with the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel option. I Loaded the HVAC settings from my original HVAC module onto the new unit. My heated seats failed to work but everything else does. Do you think this means I have a faulty unit or is there some other programming that needs to take place that I am missing. I assumed if I loaded my stock build using for scan to the new module that the heated seats would work. I saw a person in this thread towards the beginning had a similar issue. I really like the digital readout on the upgraded hvac module vs. my stock one.
I know the "HVAC software program" w/ FDRS will do it (this is the 2nd action the PMI does). You may have to go over the forscan spreadsheet and look for the various options if you don't have FDRS. I think there's 2 of them just for the heat function. You're looking for "heated only" settings and settings regarding no DSM. I was able to make the changes just by scanning the spreadsheet -- I think it's something about "heated w/ out module" or something. Will check tomorrow.

tommyxc

First Name
tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 rocky ridge
Occupation
fd/pd retired
my buddy ordered a 23 f150 today dealer told him heated steering wheel was not available.no chips

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
I have a 2023 Ford F150 platinum that comes with the heated steering wheel in the wiring. I replace the hvac and the sccm and I change the values with forscan in both modules. The heated steering wheel button lights up, but the heated seat will don’t light up. I also checked my apim and tried to change values in there, but I still have no luck. Does anybody know which modules and lines of value I have to change. Cause I think I missed something.

Did you say that yours came with the heated steering wheel? If it came with the heated steering wheel then it should work from the outset.

Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Heated seats worked before swapping out the HVAC module I assume? Did they work after installing the new HVAC module (and writing as built codes to the new module)? Did you run the truck for a bit before installing the new SCCM?

xlover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor 37
Did you say that yours came with the heated steering wheel? If it came with the heated steering wheel then it should work from the outset.
Most of the 23 vehicles with the heated wheel delete that have been opened up (all raptors and limited/platinums I have heard about) to date have come with the correct steering wheel with heating element. The back ordered missing part is the sccm/clockspring combo that manages and passes the power to the wheel

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
Heated seats worked before swapping out the HVAC module I assume? Did they work after installing the new HVAC module (and writing as built codes to the new module)? Did you run the truck for a bit before installing the new SCCM?
Heated seats worked before installing the new HVAC module. And they work if I put the old one in. I copied all of the settings over in Forscan and could not make it work. I even bought another module to try and same thing.

I wonder if I need the Mongoose attachment to change another setting or if the heated seats control is not in the That HVAC module. My truck is an XLT trim level. Reading the details above it sounds likeon the higher trim levels the heated seat control unit is in the seat with the cooling unit. I could just be making that up though. Everything else on the HVAC module works.

If anyone else has any ideas I’m open. Don’t particularly want to buy the Mongoose attachment but I am considering it.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Most of the 23 vehicles with the heated wheel delete that have been opened up (all raptors and limited/platinums I have heard about) to date have come with the correct steering wheel with heating element. The back ordered missing part is the sccm/clockspring combo that manages and passes the power to the wheel
Tremors are coming w/out the heated wheel (and SCCM), but wiring is in place

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Heated seats worked before installing the new HVAC module. And they work if I put the old one in. I copied all of the settings over in Forscan and could not make it work. I even bought another module to try and same thing.

I wonder if I need the Mongoose attachment to change another setting or if the heated seats control is not in the That HVAC module. My truck is an XLT trim level. Reading the details above it sounds likeon the higher trim levels the heated seat control unit is in the seat with the cooling unit. I could just be making that up though. Everything else on the HVAC module works.

If anyone else has any ideas I’m open. Don’t particularly want to buy the Mongoose attachment but I am considering it.
Shouldn’t need anything beyond Forscan. Load the original as built files to your current HVAC. This should get heated seats working but disable the heated steering wheel button. If heated seats still don’t work then you likely have a defective HVAC unit. If heated seats work, then retry changing the values needed for the heated steering wheel button.

Sponsored

xlover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor 37
Tremors are coming w/out the heated wheel (and SCCM), but wiring is in place
Makes sense, I would imagine the vehicles where it is not standard would also miss the wheel.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Makes sense, I would imagine the vehicles where it is not standard would also miss the wheel.
Could be. I would assume Lariats are the same then, as I think you need the x02a pkg on both a Lariat or Tremor to get a heated wheel.

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
good to know. The person above probably just needs to replace the sccm then
Shouldn’t need anything beyond Forscan. Load the original as built files to your current HVAC. This should get heated seats working but disable the heated steering wheel button. If heated seats still don’t work then you likely have a defective HVAC unit. If heated seats work, then retry changing the values needed for the heated steering wheel button.
I have now tried 2 of the units with the heated and cooled seats and could not get them to work. I purchased them on eBay so it is possible they were both broken. Everything else worked on them besides the heated seats though. Seems less likely that only the heated seat function would be broken on both units. I saved my HVAC settings on to the new unit. Tried a few times and double checked everything. A guy had similar issues much earlier in the thread on like page 17 or something.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
good to know. The person above probably just needs to replace the sccm then

I have now tried 2 of the units with the heated and cooled seats and could not get them to work. I purchased them on eBay so it is possible they were both broken. Everything else worked on them besides the heated seats though. Seems less likely that only the heated seat function would be broken on both units. I saved my HVAC settings on to the new unit. Tried a few times and double checked everything. A guy had similar issues much earlier in the thread on like page 17 or something.
Ok. Was getting you confused with another person who has a Platty. In your case there very well could be an issue if your stock HVAC unit did not have cooled seat buttons, but the unit you are installing has cooled seat buttons. Not familiar enough with using FDRS, but that might work, or you find a HVAC unit that only has the heated seat and heated steering wheel buttons

Bucknut22

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tremor
I have a 23 Tremor 402a and bought a heated steering wheel on ebay with the orange trim - I had popped the air bag off of my wheel and it didn't have the plug for heated. How do I know what other stuff I need to buy(preferably part numbers)? I read that some were coming pre wired but how do I know if the wiring is there or not? Thank you!
Sponsored