Sponsored

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Iv used forscan before but it’s been a while a while. How are use it on my 17 F150. But I never had to program an HVAC before if you could DM me and I could talk to you more about it later that would be great. Because it would be nice to have somebody that I could talk to when I need when I attempt to do this. I have the clock spring and I have the HVAC I just need a time to put them in. I may have the time just to put the clock spring in this weekend.
You can DM me, but I honestly havent done it yet as I am still waiting on my 23 to arrive. From my understanding, you go in to Forscan to write new values in the as-built area (write in the blocks rather than use the quick method - I have never used the quick method). You can then click the "load factory AB" which will put up all the values you need (aside from the ones you need to change in order to enable the heated steering wheel), and then click write all, at which point you have now programmed the module. This applies to both the SCCM and HVAC as you will need to program both of them. The only issue that will arise is that you will get a code since neither of these modules are programmed with your VIN to your vehicle, but this code will not throw a check engine light, it will just show up if you scan for codes. Screen shot below from a YouTube video that shows how to use the "load factory AB" option. Or you can type out all the values yourself rather than use the "load factory AB", either way you will need to write all to program the module.
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 1673991533238
Sponsored

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Thanks for the reply about the forscan and programing the HVAC for the heated steering wheel. I think Iam going to install the clockspring this week and when I get more time I’ll do the HVAC. Because I underStan the forscan don’t work on the 23 yet.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Thanks for the reply about the forscan and programing the HVAC for the heated steering wheel. I think Iam going to install the clockspring this week and when I get more time I’ll do the HVAC. Because I underStan the forscan don’t work on the 23 yet.
If Forscan is not working with your truck don’t install anything yet. The clock spring needs to be programmed for all of your steering wheel buttons to function properly. With using Forscan to do so you run the risk of none of those buttons working.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I have to find out I bought a used clock spring, so it might be programmed already, but not sure, and I’m just saying foreskin don’t work because everybody saying right now it doesn’t connect to the 23s.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I have to find out I bought a used clock spring, so it might be programmed already, but not sure, and I’m just saying foreskin don’t work because everybody saying right now it doesn’t connect to the 23s.
That’s fine, but even if it is already programmed there is a chance that it won’t have the same values programmed that you need. You can either install it and if all of your steering wheel buttons don’t work you can revert back, or you can purchase a Forscan license and if you get a connection error you can reach out to the developers to see if they can send you a beta version that will work. There are a number of people with 23’s that have been able to use Forscan after that.

Sponsored

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I will have to look at foreskin this weekend and see first if I can download the proper version. See if it connects if I don’t connect I’ll try to reach out to you for a scan and see if I get a beta version and then go from there this is kind of getting a little confusing, but that’s only because I don’t have things in front of me. I wish someone would’ve put the whole process on video with the current F150.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I just looked at forscan sheet and all I can find is heated steering on climate bar above no clock spring. Or hvac.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just looked at forscan sheet and all I can find is heated steering on climate bar above no clock spring. Or hvac.
Did you buy just the clockspring by itself or the assembly with the turn signal handle? It is actually called the sccm (steering column control module).
The programming for it is under the sccm tab on the spreadsheet.

the best thing to do is save your current as built data, replace the clockspring, the load all to send your saved data back to the new unit.
Most vehicles with heated wheels come with adaptive cruise which is a different LH button configuration than what you may have. That would be your hangup. If you have adaptive cruise than you may be ok.
of course if you can’t connect with forscan yet, you can’t do any of this.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I just got the clock spring. And a brand new HVAC. So you hook up forscan to you truck. Run it save the asbuilt file to the computer. Thank you would have to disconnect everything the battery and all to take out the air bag to get to the clock spring. Replace the clockspring with the new one and put everything back together, reconnect the battery run forscan again, and then run that as build file to the clock spring, and the HVAC?

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I just got the clock spring. And a brand new HVAC. So you hook up forscan to you truck. Run it save the asbuilt file to the computer. Thank you would have to disconnect everything the battery and all to take out the air bag to get to the clock spring. Replace the clockspring with the new one and put everything back together, reconnect the battery run forscan again, and then run that as build file to the clock spring, and the HVAC?
Yes, I think it’s always a good practice to disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical. I would NEVER remove the airbag without disconnecting the battery. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I’m not trying to get blown up

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Lol, absolutely. But what I was trying to explain is if I’m understanding right that’s how you do the procedure with these with the forscan before you do anything you run the program obviously and then you save that then you do your changes of your modules, then put everything back together, and then run forscan again

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 615EC7DB-168A-46D8-A731-F6CB26DD0CB8

xlover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor 37
Lol, absolutely. But what I was trying to explain is if I’m understanding right that’s how you do the procedure with these with the forscan before you do anything you run the program obviously and then you save that then you do your changes of your modules, then put everything back together, and then run forscan again

615EC7DB-168A-46D8-A731-F6CB26DD0CB8.jpeg
Quick question, which part number did you purchase? I tried looking back a few pages and might have missed it. I noticed you don’t have the one with the wiper stalk and mount.

Do we think those pins on the back pass through the part that holds the wiper stalk and steering wheel adjustment or do they connect to that part with additional pins from that part?

I suppose that will answer the question of where the sccm lives, in the clock spring itself or in the part with the wiper stalk/wheel adjustment mounted.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I have to look at the piece when I get home and I’ll let you know the part number on it and those pens passed through to the SCCM.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
I’ll have to look when I get home and those plugs fit into the SCCM
Sponsored