• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heads up....Ford's EV Chief(Darren Palmer) on Inside EVs Podcast 9/17/21 @930a

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Just a heads up, I received a notice that Ford's EV Chief is going to be interviewed on today's Inside EVs podcast @930a. (Darren Palmer). May be of some interest. You can access the podcast live(and also ask questions in the chat) via youtube. I think you can also use other social media platforms to access.

Sadly I will not be able to attend..work meeting.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Thanks for the link! I really liked what Darren Palmer had to say and am excited to have him leading the future EV experience for Ford.

Some key things I took away:
- Ford has not released real production estimates yet and is working to max out capacity at the new plant ASAP.
- OTA updates will be a big deal; really looking forward to new charging options where the user can potentially choose to increase max charge ahead of and/or during a road trip while generally using a battery friendly level for normal driving conditions at home
- New charge curves via OTA update based no customer feedback (at about 15 minutes in to the video)
- Battery management - goal is to have the battery take care of itself
- MME GT initial acceleration = .93G - WOW
- Thermal management during hard use (MME GT) - Track driving mode
- MME GT press drive in October
- Ford vehicle on Rivian platform is still in discussion although Lincoln plans are not moving forward
... I needed to stop when he started talking about the chip shortage ...

Not charging to 100% every day makes a lot of sense to me since I rarely go more than 50 miles in a day and know when I will in advance

I also hope some of the performance tuning going into the MME bleeds through to the Lightning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I liked that he said the 2022 numbera they mentioned (15k to 18k) were wrong. Hopefully those are low!

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I liked that he said the 2022 numbera they mentioned (15k to 18k) were wrong. Hopefully those are low!
If anything, Darren Palmer and Ford seem to "get it" with regards to the EV marketplace and what people want out of an EV. Ford's EV strategy makes sense to me. Ford's EV lineup excites me, not just the lightning but future SUVs as well.

I was happy to hear they are adjusting the rollout as the demand supports it and willing to invest more in money and labor to make it happen!

He mentioned several times listening to the customers and I think that will bring Ford great success.

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Good video to hear about the Ford lineup for EV.

Looking forward more to the new Lightning.

Can't wait to drive it in the carpool lanes of Southern California freeways ALONE !

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I was always skeptical about the 15k number. If it was a 'doubled" output number as reported. Who in the world at ford would imagine they'd only make 7500 of these things the first year...there's no way. Ford definitely knew they'd have a lot higher demand than that. I'm not sure they anticipated the 150k+ but certithey knew they'd be able to sell 50k+ without issues and people wouldn't be happy waiting well over a year from first delivery till they actually got their vehicle.

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
I think that's huge news! In addition to saying the 15K number in 2022 was wrong, he also said they want to be at full capacity of 80-90K by 2023. If they can put out 40K in 2022 and 80K in 2023, that 120K should fulfill all orders from the current 150K reservations (even at 80% conversion rate). For those with later reservations, the possibility of still getting their Lightning by the end of 2023 rather than sometime in 2025 is a big deal.

bfjeld

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram 1500 Sport , 2014 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Power Engineer
This podcast got me even more excited about the lightning and also Ford’s commitment to their EV program. I was also relieved to hear that rumored build numbers aren’t real and they are cranking plant up to full potential.
Sponsored