Sponsored

Headlights Help Needed - SOOOO CONFUSED!!

bigjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a 2021 STX with halogen headlights that are complete garbage, I could do better with a flashlight. Been looking through hundreds of threads on several forums and can’t find a good explanation or guidance. I don’t want to spend $1000 to purchase brand-new headlights, just looking to improve visibility at night but some seem to suggest that switching bulbs is a terrible idea and doesn’t improve visibility, instead blinding other drivers. I would really appreciate some guidance on what to do here
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yep. Ford really screws the lower trim levels on headlights. I would might have bought an STX but ended up paying an extra $15K for 302A, in large part because I drive at night and need decent headlights.

I researched this before buying. Unless things have changed since last year, you can go aftermarket or OEM, neither is cheap or easy. Personally I would replace them with OEM led reflector units, which come standard on 302A, 500A, and 501A. That's what I have and they are really good. Good luck.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 5.0, 2013 Corvette GS, 2020 Jetta S
I have a 21 STX and I replaced the stock bulbs with Diode dynamics LED's. The cut off against the wall is impressive for a halogen lamp and there is no glare, plus no one is flashing their lights at me. Of course nothing will replace a true factory LED setup, but for under $200 it was WELL worth the money.

OP
OP

bigjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I found headlight bulbs (Cree?) on F150LEDs but they seem super pricey at $250. Lots of positive reviews on the site though, I’d hope reviews are legit. Anyone has any experience with those? Are they worth the extra cash?

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Same, 2021 STX, on drive home on night I bought it, wife said headlights were terrible. Next day ordered F150leds.com low, highs and fogs....huge improvement.

Ford F-150 Headlights Help Needed - SOOOO CONFUSED!! 20211115_203740_resized

Ford F-150 Headlights Help Needed - SOOOO CONFUSED!! 20211115_203641_resized

Sponsored

OP
OP

bigjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Same, 2021 STX, on drive home on night I bought it, wife said headlights were terrible. Next day ordered F150leds.com low, highs and fogs....huge improvement.

20211115_203740_resized.jpg

20211115_203641_resized.jpg
WOW! That’s a very impressive improvement!! How often do drivers going the other way flash at you? Especially on roads with no street lights and no dividing median?
It seems like many F150 owners are very much against swapping bulbs to LED. If there isn’t a noticeable impact to drivers going the other way (vs switching the entire headlight assembly to LED units), I hope to learn more as to the reasoning on why swapping bulbs is a bad idea.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I turned them down, even after having truck leveled, and now dont get any flashers from oncoming traffic.
I know they are not optimal, neither were the ones coming off the showroom floor.

OP
OP

bigjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I turned them down, even after having truck leveled, and now dont get any flashers from oncoming traffic.
I know they are not optimal, neither were the ones coming off the showroom floor.
Good to know. Do you mind sharing a link where you got your kit? I’d like to get the same package. I went on their website and only saw options to buy all these things individually, which comes out to well over $500 including shipping and taxes

have anyone else had success with LED bulbs that are a little more budget friendly?

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Let me check their site

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales

Sponsored

Nlitend1

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 502 3.5 6.5crew
Occupation
Contractor
Headlight Revolutions. Check out their YouTube videos on actual tests done. Use these in our 17 edge. Highly recommend and well worth the cost.

AnthemMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had the halogens in my XLT Sport. I had put diode dynamics bulbs in them but would have black out spots (not to noticeable but I saw them and it annoyed me). Plus I hated the look of the halogen housings.

I went with Alpharex aftermarket headlights. They look aggressive and blacked out which I like the look of on my white truck with black grill.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/alpharex-luxx-headlights.9047/

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I wouldn't use "no one flashes their lights at me so the lights are fine" to mean your LED or HID replacements don't cause glare. If there are other drivers around, people are likely just being considerate of them and not having more people blinded by bright lights. I will only flash my high beams when there's no one in front of me and it's the person coming the other way with bad lights in front.

The reflective surfaces in the housing are only meant for whatever bulb comes in them, and if you change that, you're getting glare. They design the surfaces to reflect light from a certain spot, and different style bulbs change where the light comes from. Even projectors can get glare with the wrong bulbs, though it is less likely. You can even see it in the picture above as the fog lights and headlights are shining up towards the camera in the picture. It may not be bad, but it's still glare and a distraction to other drivers. This article was primarily written for HID kits, but also applies to LEDs. There are LED bulbs that are better than others, but you'll still get some glare.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
A whole new housing with purpose built reflectors is always a better option than just brighter bulbs. Alternately you can consider retrofits allowing a proper projector to be fitted within your stock housing. Its a bit of a pain but this is what I did on our older CRV. Requires separating the clear front and rear part of the housing to insert projector but it made an amazing difference. I went with Morimoto items but I'm sure several offer similar systems. Now we have HID lighting with no glare in the CRV that's been reliable for 7yrs. Our 2021 F150 thankfully has Led but given the experience with the CRV retrofit it's something I would do again if needed.
Sponsored