Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
Anyone else seen the headlight switch change from Auto to On by itself. I guess over the 10 months about 4 times I have gotten into my truck and an alert chime starts when I open the door, I look down and see the headlight switch is in the On position and I always leave it in Auto. Guess it happens after closing the door and leaving it parked over night, since it wasn't chiming when I shut the truck off. Not a huge issue, just wondering is anyone else sees this happen.
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Anyone else seen the headlight switch change from Auto to On by itself. I guess over the 10 months about 4 times I have gotten into my truck and an alert chime starts when I open the door, I look down and see the headlight switch is in the On position and I always leave it in Auto. Guess it happens after closing the door and leaving it parked over night, since it wasn't chiming when I shut the truck off. Not a huge issue, just wondering is anyone else sees this happen.
I’m not sure if this is exactly the problem you’re having, but SSM 51058 indicates that there is a logic problem with the headlamp switch and Ford is working on it:

Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 51058

Summary

Some 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a condition of intermittent headlamp operation while the vehicle is OFF and have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1533 stored in the body control module (BCM). This may be due to the internal logic within the headlamp switch. Switch and/or module replacement will not resolve this condition. Headlamp operation is not affected while the vehicle is ON. A new headlamp switch is currently under development to correct this condition. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a follow-up appointment in December 2022, when parts are expected to become available. Follow up with the customer to confirm the appointment once OASIS is updated with the repair information.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have experienced the same a couple of times.

But I can't tie it to anything that I can predict. It's just one more potential quirk that a machine with this much immature code onboard could exhibit. Hopefully with time, the various bugs will be identified and addressed.

I knew good and well I was an early adopter with his fingers crossed. So far nothing too bad. :)

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Has happened once to me in 6,000 miles. Exactly as you described it.

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
I’ve had this happen twice now, but not for the last couple months. Glad to hear there’s a fix in the works.

Sponsored

bigjohnp

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
retired
This happened to my truck yesterday. I always have mine set to Auto. After coming back to my truck at the shopping center, when I opened the door, I hear this pinging sound. I then notice that the light knob has changed to On. First time this has happened. I set it back to Auto, I'll see if it happens again.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I’ve had this problem a few times over the last couple of months. Turn off the truck and get the warning tones. The other day the parking lights were on when I shut down. Have to always turn the truck back on and change back to auto.

Any updates?

OP
OP
HSV_MIkeJ

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
Occupation
DJ
Mine hasn't repeated the issue since the original post, not sure if an update fixed it or just hasn't happened again. I did get an update on Oct 10, but it doesn't mention anything in the update info about headlights specifically.

OP
OP
HSV_MIkeJ

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
Occupation
DJ
Mine did it a couple times and I realized I was hitting it with my knee getting in and out.
Not really enough to feel it but enough I was flipping the switch. I really did it a lot in my Jeep wrangler
Guess that would be a possibility for me I am 6'7" and do have long leg, but if that happened it would start the chime noise right then.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
mine has only done this a few times and i chocked it up to the times when battery was at or below 55% soc. it was imo like truck was not sure how t act with low battery, because it also messed up radio and seat settings ( seat would not go to pre-selected position once key was on), it would stay full back as it does when you turn truck off and open door

but in last 6 or so months its not happened again.-

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve had this problem a few times over the last couple of months. Turn off the truck and get the warning tones. The other day the parking lights were on when I shut down. Have to always turn the truck back on and change back to auto.

Any updates?
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

bigredaggie

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor 402A
This has happened multiple times to me. Including tonight my neighbor told me my lights were on. Had my trailer connected and I go outside and every light on the truck and trailer is lit up including the headlights. I view this as a real issue if it’s happening on its own as I could have well been on a trip or something and woke up with a dead battery.

I thought I might be hitting it with my knee like mentioned above but if there is a known issue Ford is aware of I’m all ears for a fix.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
This has happened multiple times to me. Including tonight my neighbor told me my lights were on. Had my trailer connected and I go outside and every light on the truck and trailer is lit up including the headlights. I view this as a real issue if it’s happening on its own as I could have well been on a trip or something and woke up with a dead battery.

I thought I might be hitting it with my knee like mentioned above but if there is a known issue Ford is aware of I’m all ears for a fix.
My lights were coming on after the unintended tailgate opening recall because it involved an update that corrupted some software. The same happened to a couple other people here but I think their fixes were different. Something maybe funky with the recall process that fries something different each time.

aside from that there is also a headlight switch issue requiring replacement. A new headlight switch may or may not square you away depending on if you recently got other work done that required reprogramming.

Tailinreds

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Electrician
It’s happened about 5 times over the last two months on my 2022 XL.
Sponsored