Sponsored

Has anyone else dealer had a surprise bill for gps tracker?

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Dealer surprised me during paperwork with with a $700 bill for some kind of tracker/ low jack they supposedly installed. Is this normal? Will they uninstall and refund me?
Sponsored

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
Definitely optional add on but perhaps your dealer includes by default and you need to opt out? If you didn't agree to it not sure how they can force you to pay for it. Better check what you signed off on though.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Another sneaky money maker for the dealer. There’s a dealer near me that does something similar. They pinstripe every new vehicle then charge the customer when they make a purchase.

Don’t fall for the banana in the tailpipe.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Dealer surprised me during paperwork with with a $700 bill for some kind of tracker/ low jack they supposedly installed. Is this normal? Will they uninstall and refund me?
Definitely shady. Is it normal? No and yes - while not every dealership does this, it's certainly not a surprise to see this happening. You should not have to pay for it, tell them to either remove the charge or you'll take your business elsewhere.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Dealer Stock: If the dealer did not put a 'Dealer Add-On' type-sticker explaining the charge in the window next to the Maroney label, then they did not disclose the add-on and you should not be charged for the option/should be removed by the dealer. They did not negotiate or disclose in good faith.

Retail Order: This is an absolute no-brainer. You ordered the truck equipped to your specifications and the dealer agreed to order you a truck with your specific options, no more and no less. Complete breach of contract to start adding on dealer options without your consent.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
I purchased this one off the lot and there was no such sticker on the window. During the paperwork is when they had me sign the dealer add on paper. I probably could and should have walked out at this time but I didn’t. They said they “install” these on all cars that come in.

Anyone buying their truck from Folsom lake Ford in California might want to consider this first

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I purchased this one off the lot and there was no such sticker on the window. During the paperwork is when they had me sign the dealer add on paper. I probably could and should have walked out at this time but I didn’t. They said they “install” these on all cars that come in.

Anyone buying their truck from Folsom lake Ford in California might want to consider this first
Adding a GPS tracker seems kind of redundant to me since you can locate your truck using FordPass.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Oh dang that's my closest dealer and I like them a lot. What was it called and what did they charge? I have a retail order with Future and they better not do this with retail orders, I can see them attempting it on stock though...

Are you the one that got that awesome red king ranch?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance

Where is it mounted and where is the paperwork that came with it?????
They had best be able to physically show you where it is.

Id be leery of some dealer putting that on when not specifically requested.
They might just come looking for it later.

I can see installing on new cars as they come in for insurance purposes, but needs to be removed before delivery to the new owner

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Some dealers install these for tracking and repo if you quit making payments.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Where is it mounted and where is the paperwork that came with it?????
They had best be able to physically show you where it is.

Id be leery of some dealer putting that on when not specifically requested.
They might just come looking for it later.

I can see installing on new cars as they come in for insurance purposes, but needs to be removed before delivery to the new owner
It was “installed” in the passenger door pocket, no wires just layIng there. They said it would be installed even if the truck was purchased with cash. Lienholder does not have access

OP
OP

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Oh dang that's my closest dealer and I like them a lot. What was it called and what did they charge? I have a retail order with Future and they better not do this with retail orders, I can see them attempting it on stock though...

Are you the one that got that awesome red king ranch?
No I just got a base xl. They charged my $699.00 and called it “intouch VP”. I don’t have any other complaints about them but I think this is a classic bait and switch. Other dealers would have been cheaper if I would have known.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I looked it up and it looks like it was designed for fleet truck management. Im sure they sell a lot of them to fleet businesses but it also looks like something they can put back into a box and remove from your bill. I also read on a site that they $50-$250 per equipment tracker so it sounds like there's quite the markup.

OP
OP

Caferd

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Self
Updated: I talked to my dealer and they made things right with me. I can definitely recommend them to everyone now. I will definitely be buying from them in the future.
Sponsored