Sponsored

Has anyone driven 21 w/5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?

Jumper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xl
My 2021 5.0 has no indicator lights for the cylinder deactivation and is totally seamless in operation. I also have zero oil consumption issues. 5k on the truck so far and I hope it stays that way.
Sponsored

Mike Smith

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
My ‘21 XLT 5.0 is getting 23 mpg consistently on interstate
driving when I keep it in the 70-72 mph range. RPM’s @ 1500
with 3:31 rears. Best it has ever run on the interstate was
24.2 mpg. Truck has 5000 miles on it.

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
I just picked mine up on Friday and only have 100 miles but there is absolutely no difference in how the 5.0 drives with cylinder deactivation.

Technoskeptic

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XL
Ford has been very quiet about cylinder deactivation, nothing in the owners manual, I have done a pdf word search and found nothing.
And (unlike the case for Chevy and Dodge trucks for example) there is also no mention of it in the 2021 F150 spec. sheet or on the build page.

How could any reputable company not mention it in such an otherwise detailed spec. sheet?

I also called the Ford customer service telephone number and asked a representative if the 2021 5.0L V8 had any kind of cylinder deactivation and he told me I need to ask a local dealer. I then contacted two of them, and one local dealer said it didn't have it while the other dealer said it did.

Finally, as I see it, it's absurd that Ford would feel the need to tell me by way of the Monroney sticker - under the "functional" heading - that the truck has a "rear view camera, "gas-charged shocks" and a "Hotspot Telematcs Modem" but omit the "functional" feature of "variable displacement engine technology."

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Not sure why every is so hostile about cylinder deactivation, it's a proven technology that's been around for decades at this point with other brands. There's about 9999 other things that can go wrong with all the tech stuffed in these trucks, I wouldn't worry about cylinder deactivation.

Sponsored

Technoskeptic

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XL
Not sure why every is so hostile about cylinder deactivation, it's a proven technology that's been around for decades at this point with other brands. There's about 9999 other things that can go wrong with all the tech stuffed in these trucks, I wouldn't worry about cylinder deactivation.
Speaking only for myself, I can say that I'm not "hostile" about cylinder deactivation per se at all. It's Ford's engine and they can do with it whatever they want. (For all I know, years from now it may end up being deemed a well-engineered, economically and environmentally worthwhile modification, and I hope it does).

On the other hand, it's my $50k that I can spend on whatever I want to spend it on, not what someone can mislead me into spending it on. So what I'm hostile about is the idea that unlike Chevy and Dodge, for example, Ford has studiously avoided mentioning the implementation of cylinder deactivation in any and all of the documentation that a prospective buyer such as myself was likely to see.

The way I see it, the absence of this information from the spec. sheet, the downloadable owner's manual, the build page of the Ford web site, and the Monroney sticker - contrary to what has become standard practice among other manufacturers - amounts to a conspicuous lie by omission and violates the letter and the spirit of FTC guidelines and most if not all state consumer protection laws.

BTW I don't know if Ford's implementation of cylinder deactivation can be called "proven technology" or not, but I can tell you I no longer buy Chrysler products because I have been burnt too many times by inopportune failures of their "proven technology."

Last edited:

agentorange

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Occupation
ME
I just picked mine up on Friday and only have 100 miles but there is absolutely no difference in how the 5.0 drives with cylinder deactivation.
That's absolutely not my opinion. I feel it and hear it. I have exhaust mods so a factory exhausted truck may not hear it.

agentorange

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Occupation
ME
More trouble than it's worth.... in my opinion.

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
Supercab with 3.31 locking axle, 6.5 ' bed. 700 miles on the truck so far; averaging 21 mpg overall; have seen it hit 27 (sustained) on highway if I keep it at 65. Haven't been able to detect any cylinder deactivation.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have read up on those oil consumption issues.
Quite a bit of this was all but eliminated going to a heavier oil.
I guess Ford was using 5-20 and for 2021 changed that to 5-30.
(Super small oil droplets making their way into the intake via PCV)

Another thing that was noticed. Supercharged 5.0 were not having the issue.
Could be due to the fact that the supercharger people require a minimum of 5-40 to maintain supercharger longevity.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom started replacing dipsticks with longer ones and adding a quart of oil to the crankcase. Hah hah hah hah hah.

I have several old cars that don’t use oil between changes (5000 mi).
Not my 66ElCamino with a never touched 73 307
Not my 200,000 mi Chev truck or Trailblazer.
My 65 Ranchero uses a little between changes, but I tend to drive that thing a lot harder than the others —too much fun—300hp, skinny tires, and a 4spd, this car can party.

Anyone saying even a qt of oil is acceptable in 5000 mi under normal driving is blowing smoke up your hiney.
Towing, hauling, or severe use—different story

Got that backwards. There was a batch of dipsticks that where too short. This caused EXTRA oil to be added to the engine. The combination of too much oil and a throttle body causing excessive vacuum, oil was getting sucked into the top end and burnt.

The longer, or correct, dipstick reduced the amount of oil,. The fix to the throttle body reduced pressure. Less Oil consumed. Add a little heavier or thicker oil, I have zero concerns about this.

But it was a combination of little issues that contributed to the overall problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Around town I am getting 12.2 and I am being very light on the throttle during the break in period. Most of my driving is around town, I have done a couple, meaning three trips, that I hit small highways and average speed of around 55-60 for 20-30 minutes each. So 98% of my driving has been around town. I have ~600 miles on the odo.
I have not seen any indicator on the dash but again I haven't really driven on the highway to much.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Around town I am getting 12.2 and I am being very light on the throttle during the break in period. Most of my driving is around town, I have done a couple, meaning three trips, that I hit small highways and average speed of around 55-60 for 20-30 minutes each. So 98% of my driving has been around town. I have ~600 miles on the odo.
I have not seen any indicator on the dash but again I haven't really driven on the highway to much.
That mileage will improve rapidly. Congrats on the new truck ?

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
do you mean MPG or L/100K? that's about what i'm getting in L/100KM which is something in the ballpark of 20MPG