Sponsored

Has anyone driven 21 w/5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?

Jks217

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 LariatFX4, 2021 Lariat FX4
Has anyone driven 21 5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?
Also, does cylinder deactivation automatically get shut off in Sport or Tow modes?
No notifications I can see. I assume it happens in the eco mode. I’m getting 17.5mpg in eco mode running at 85mph on the highway . That’s 2.5 better than my 2015.
Sponsored

Ruger35

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’ve got 3.73s and 4wd, only got to hand calculate a half tank so far but it was 19 mpg. This tank I’m almost halfway through, I drive about 23 miles interstate each way to work and 6-10 miles town driving depending which way I go. This tank I have been setting the cruise to 72-73 and it is showing 20.1 overall this tank. I’m hoping to be closer to 19.5 hand calculated when I fill up again.

davek22554

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve got 3.73s and 4wd, only got to hand calculate a half tank so far but it was 19 mpg. This tank I’m almost halfway through, I drive about 23 miles interstate each way to work and 6-10 miles town driving depending which way I go. This tank I have been setting the cruise to 72-73 and it is showing 20.1 overall this tank. I’m hoping to be closer to 19.5 hand calculated when I fill up again.
800 miles so far and averaging 20.1. as well.

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 16' Honda Pilot
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
I've had the truck 2 months now.... I don't think it has cylinder deactivation.?

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I wish somebody would do a highway mile average at 65-68...
After my engine is broken in, I need to make a quick visit back East, barring any pandemic pandemonium. There’s certain states where cruise will be set at 55mph for a whole 36 gallon tank. I am curious myself about all the various fuel economy measures, including what effect the grill shutters and power extending air dam will bring.

I had a 12 mile drive mostly downhill toward my home this evening at varying speeds. I set the drive mode to Eco and aside from a few throttle applications to make green lights, I was able to keep the ribbon up above 25mpg 90% of the drive. The avg mpg went up from 12mpg to 12.7mpg. I am going to take a late night highway jaunt to see what happens on the open highway and maybe try the lane centering feature out.

I can say one thing, if there is cylinder deactivation, it’s pretty much seamless. I’ve driven about 65 miles so far and I would say that about 15 miles was on the highway, though, it was in traffic which around here doesn’t go smoothly.

I keep checking to see if there’s any new information on the cylinder deactivation in the 5.0 and there’s pretty much nothing.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My commute is mostly hiway.
going home from picking up the truck was all hiway.
mileage so far not too impressive, but it has been quite cool here and this morning snow everywhere. Not supposed to happen in south Texas.
spent more time idling while I figure out the new toy.
only have 100 miles on it and display shows about 12mpg but cold and idling time has to be factored.
not felt or noticed a cylinder deactivation
but with the snow this morning
rear defrost works
4x4 works great with no abnormal noises.
my old Chevy has 8 ply tires and stiff springs. No doubt in my mind that this one will be much more pleasant to drive on icy/slippery roads.

The Chevy behaves well in 4x4, but those hard tires compromise ability on Ice

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Idling and driving less than 12mph kills the mileage, the computer extrapolates this and figures it into your usage.

My truck has 8 hours of use and only 5 of it has been with me, when I picked up the truck, it had 7 miles, so that first few miles was done with 3 hours of engine run time, my guess is lots of idling in the cold while queuing up for the train ride, it doesn’t help that whenever I park, I spend a few minutes trying to figure out settings for features. last night while briefly on the highway, I saw the MPG go from 12.7 avg. to 13.3, after sitting in the truck for a couple minutes trying to set my address in the navigation, avg. slipped down to 13.2 and so far, most of my driving has been stop/go city traffic.

I’ve also been trying my best to use healthy throttle applications during break-in, so far, I have had a hard time with that because I run out of road. Even in Eco mode; I don’t get much over 1/2 throttle for a few moments before I am exceeding the speed limit by more than I am willing and I haven’t floored it once. I think the most has been 3/4 pedal. I tried Sport mode last night and I must be getting old, because it’s way too sporty. It could also be because of the 3.73 gears and HD springs in the back.

One thing is certain, the traction control is very effective, I have seen the light come on accelerating from a turn, or just from a dead stop a few times and with the empty bed and reg cab; you would never know it was in use if not for the light. I tried some threshold braking last night too and you definitely notice the ABS activation, it’s not as bad as some older cars but it’s not smooth at all.

As far as cylinder deactivation goes, I might have to see if one of my OBD scanners can see anything.

superz

First Name
Zale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150RCSB;2016 Ecodiesel;2012 ISF; 66 Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
My commute is mostly hiway.
going home from picking up the truck was all hiway.
mileage so far not too impressive, but it has been quite cool here and this morning snow everywhere. Not supposed to happen in south Texas.
spent more time idling while I figure out the new toy.
only have 100 miles on it and display shows about 12mpg but cold and idling time has to be factored.
not felt or noticed a cylinder deactivation
but with the snow this morning
rear defrost works
4x4 works great with no abnormal noises.
my old Chevy has 8 ply tires and stiff springs. No doubt in my mind that this one will be much more pleasant to drive on icy/slippery roads.

The Chevy behaves well in 4x4, but those hard tires compromise ability on Ice
Glad you got yours. I just now got word mine is at the San Antonio Railyard. May be next week before I get it after it thaws out. I just replaced to outside water hose bibbs this morning to get my water back on. All stores are out of plumbing supplies. Had to plug one. no faucets in town. Bienvenidos San Antonio. Hace mucho frio here. Ha!!
I sure hope I like this Antimatter blue. Cannot tell by the photo attached if I will like it or not. I like the 2 tone paint. it got the front and rear bumpers painted gray also.

Ford F-150 Has anyone driven 21 w/5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation? ford f150 photo of rcsb

Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I did 5 hours on the highway when I picked it up. I did not see anything or feel anything in regards to cyclinder deactivation. My MPG on that drive in ECO went from 7-17mpg. It was still climbing when we got home too. So hoping that can get over 20 on the highway without any excessive driving habits.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Good to know the mileage will increase once things start loosening up

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport
In about 700 miles I'm averaging 17mpg... Mostly little trips around town. I'm curious what an all highway tank would average.
I have cylinder deactivation on my Honda Passport (3.5-liter V-6) and it only activates on the highway. It does improve fuel economy. I can get as high as 26 mph when the temperature is nice. Overall my fuel economy average is about 22 because I do use it for a lot of commuting around town. I'm interested in the V-8 and I am curious what people are observing on long highway trips.

agentorange

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Occupation
ME
I notice it, even in sport mode. Seems to pop almost like a small backfire. It's almost as if it cuts the spark before fuel.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm interested in the V-8 and I am curious what people are observing on long highway trips.
I did two 450 mile round trips in May, from CT to northern NH. The first one I drove 65-70mph and got 22 mpg calculated at fill. Second time, running late and drove 72-75 calculated 20 mpg. Truck is 302A crew cab 4x4 5.0 3.73 with 3,000 miles on it. Mostly eco mode but a couple hours in sport mode through the white mountains. The engine is fantastic, absolutely no complaints. I cannot detect any cylinder deactivation but with this kind of mpg it must be happening. Hope this is helpful.
Sponsored