Sponsored

Has anyone driven 21 w/5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Has anyone driven 21 5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?
Also, does cylinder deactivation automatically get shut off in Sport or Tow modes?
Sponsored

superz

First Name
Zale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150RCSB;2016 Ecodiesel;2012 ISF; 66 Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
Has anyone driven 21 5.0L, is there a dash indicator for the cylinder deactivation?
Also, does cylinder deactivation automatically get shut off in Sport or Tow modes?
Great question. Only button I saw in a 2020 F150 rental I was in; was on top of dash to shut off the auto start/stop
goofy feature. I will be surprised if there is a shut off button. maybe in tow/haul mode the deactivation shuts down?? :)

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 16' Honda Pilot
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
So I have had mine for 2 weeks... I have yet to see anything on the dash about cylinder deactivation. I have kept it in normal the entire time and I messed with the eco setting while cruising around town. My highway ride to work is approx 7 miles. Maybe it's not enough time to register a deactivation. I will be taking about a 40 mile highway trip tomorrow. I will report back

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
Drove about 100 miles yesterday.... At no point did I see anything on the dash saying there was deactivation... And I didn't feel any change in response/performance while driving

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My commute is about 30 miles
10 miles at speeds at around 40mph or less
12 miles at about 70
the last few miles are at about 30mph

Im guessing that the Deactivation occurs at lower speeds.
Kinda looking forward to test this.
at about 4 miles from the house, the truck should be warm enough to do what it is supposed to do.
and that remaining 8-9 miles after the stop sign at lower speeds it might kick in. (not that I care if it does or not--i bought a v8)

The upside of my commute in the mornings is that it is relatively traffic free and only a couple of lights before hitting the freeway in a fully warmed up truck---(lights usually stay green that early).

Varying speeds and loads are also good for a healthy break-in. No city traffic to speak of out here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2dogcamper

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
My commute is about 30 miles
10 miles at speeds at around 40mph or less
12 miles at about 70
the last few miles are at about 30mph

Im guessing that the Deactivation occurs at lower speeds.
Kinda looking forward to test this.
at about 4 miles from the house, the truck should be warm enough to do what it is supposed to do.
and that remaining 8-9 miles after the stop sign at lower speeds it might kick in. (not that I care if it does or not--i bought a v8)

The upside of my commute in the mornings is that it is relatively traffic free and only a couple of lights before hitting the freeway in a fully warmed up truck---(lights usually stay green that early).

Varying speeds and loads are also good for a healthy break-in. No city traffic to speak of out here.
Ford has been very quiet about cylinder deactivation, nothing in the owners manual, I have done a pdf word search and found nothing.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Ford has been very quiet about cylinder deactivation, nothing in the owners manual, I have done a pdf word search and found nothing.
That is super interesting - I was curious if there was anything about it on the website, and sure enough it is still featured prominently on the main 2021 F-150 page in the description of the 5.0 V8. So, it's not like they have erased it completely... but nevertheless interesting there isn't much info about it other than that.

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
Drove about 100 miles yesterday.... At no point did I see anything on the dash saying there was deactivation... And I didn't feel any change in response/performance while driving
How has the fuel economy been?

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
How has the fuel economy been?
In about 700 miles I'm averaging 17mpg... Mostly little trips around town. I'm curious what an all highway tank would average.

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
In about 700 miles I'm averaging 17mpg... Mostly little trips around town. I'm curious what an all highway tank would average.
Keep us posted when you do. I’d love to know. Also, have you checked your oil to see if there’s any consumption? I know the 18-20 5.0’s had that problem. I’m wondering if it’s fixed on the new motor and if the cylinder deactivation has any effect on the oil level.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Keep us posted when you do. I’d love to know. Also, have you checked your oil to see if there’s any consumption? I know the 18-20 5.0’s had that problem. I’m wondering if it’s fixed on the new motor and if the cylinder deactivation has any effect on the oil level.
I have read up on those oil consumption issues.
Quite a bit of this was all but eliminated going to a heavier oil.
I guess Ford was using 5-20 and for 2021 changed that to 5-30.
(Super small oil droplets making their way into the intake via PCV)

Another thing that was noticed. Supercharged 5.0 were not having the issue.
Could be due to the fact that the supercharger people require a minimum of 5-40 to maintain supercharger longevity.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom started replacing dipsticks with longer ones and adding a quart of oil to the crankcase. Hah hah hah hah hah.

I have several old cars that don’t use oil between changes (5000 mi).
Not my 66ElCamino with a never touched 73 307
Not my 200,000 mi Chev truck or Trailblazer.
My 65 Ranchero uses a little between changes, but I tend to drive that thing a lot harder than the others —too much fun—300hp, skinny tires, and a 4spd, this car can party.

Anyone saying even a qt of oil is acceptable in 5000 mi under normal driving is blowing smoke up your hiney.
Towing, hauling, or severe use—different story

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
I have read up on those oil consumption issues.
Quite a bit of this was all but eliminated going to a heavier oil.
I guess Ford was using 5-20 and for 2021 changed that to 5-30.
(Super small oil droplets making their way into the intake via PCV)

Another thing that was noticed. Supercharged 5.0 were not having the issue.
Could be due to the fact that the supercharger people require a minimum of 5-40 to maintain supercharger longevity.

Ford, in their infinite wisdom started replacing dipsticks with longer ones and adding a quart of oil to the crankcase. Hah hah hah hah hah.

I have several old cars that don’t use oil between changes (5000 mi).
Not my 66ElCamino with a never touched 73 307
Not my 200,000 mi Chev truck or Trailblazer.
My 65 Ranchero uses a little between changes, but I tend to drive that thing a lot harder than the others —too much fun—300hp, skinny tires, and a 4spd, this car can party.

Anyone saying even a qt of oil is acceptable in 5000 mi under normal driving is blowing smoke up your hiney.
Towing, hauling, or severe use—different story
I agree 100%. I’ve had three rangers all over 100000 and they don’t consume/leak a drop. I wonder what oil the 11-17 5.0’s used and if they had switched to the 20w in 18.

superz

First Name
Zale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021f150RCSB;2016 Ecodiesel;2012 ISF; 66 Sting Ray
Occupation
Realtor
I agree 100%. I’ve had three rangers all over 100000 and they don’t consume/leak a drop. I wonder what oil the 11-17 5.0’s used and if they had switched to the 20w in 18.
I agree also. But I am used to Toyota's not leaking. This darn 5.0 had better not. haha
Greetings. quick question. Are you in a Supercrew? Rear end gears 3.31? just curious.
I am trying to see what the difference will be with 3.73 gears in MPG. :)

fordman2112

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum , Rapid Red Powerboost, BAP
Occupation
retired
I have a 2013 now, and it uses 5W20. It has not burned a drop in 63,000 miles. Will be trading it in soon, when my new truck comes in. Hopefully this 5.0 will be just as reliable.

Skrappy D

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Driver for Pepsi
I agree also. But I am used to Toyota's not leaking. This darn 5.0 had better not. haha

Greetings. quick question. Are you in a Supercrew? Rear end gears 3.31? just curious.
I am trying to see what the difference will be with 3.73 gears in MPG. :)
Hey, ya super crew with 3.73 gears
Sponsored