Sponsored

Has anyone been able to connect Forscan on MY23? Unable to identify vehicle message.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Once Ford fully switches to FNV architecture, Forscan and any other program to modify functions would be useless
Do you feel strongly about that?
I ask because what Forscan accomplishes is very different than what "tuning" accomplishes, and while Ford openly admits that FNV makes it harder to tune, it's sort of a leap to also lock down what would have to be locked down to thwart something like Forscan.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I'm wondering what the motive would be and the backlash for thwarting OBD monitoring and such?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
OBD monitoring is stil required by law, so monitoring would not be going away. Programming is another story. I don't remember who, but there was a proposal for secure vehicle access. The premise involves a connected vehicle and the programming terminal are connected via a handshake authorized by the manufactures servers. Hopefully the right to repair movement prevents these type of systems.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
Do you feel strongly about that?
I ask because what Forscan accomplishes is very different than what "tuning" accomplishes, and while Ford openly admits that FNV makes it harder to tune, it's sort of a leap to also lock down what would have to be locked down to thwart something like Forscan.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I'm wondering what the motive would be and the backlash for thwarting OBD monitoring and such?
My feelings don't matter.

Forscan allows a user to modify features of the vehicle and add options or delete features. Ford doesn't want lower trims to have the ability to add cruise control or other functions that are part of a higher trim or package because it can reduce revenue.

I am not talking about tuning or changing the parameters of engine/transmission function at all. It goes without saying the EPA has cracked down and it has the trickle down effect to manufacturers. The Clean Air Act was not heavily enforced until the Diesel Brothers TV show started airing, this was the catalyst that increased enforcement, fines, etc

FNV would allow Ford to shut down a vehicle remotely or not allow the owner to operate the vehicle if attempted or implemented modifications to any of the factory settings (You own the vehicle, Ford owns the software and licensing that operates the vehicle) The only legal challenge I believe would be a decent case is the Right to Repair act, as more vehicles are full of new tech.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford doesn't want lower trims to have the ability to add cruise control or other functions that are part of a higher trim or package because it can reduce revenue.
If that's what you are stating is their incentive, then I don't think I'm nearly as concerned about your prediction.

Ford wants to sell trucks, and if they didn't want you to buy an XL, they wouldn't make an XL available. (exactly what they do with the Lightning)

I don't think there are meetings at Ford where the VERY FEW people that retrofit a feature on their F150 are even on the radar. And if there was such a meeting, at least one person would point out that the Ford Motor Company makes considerably more profit from an after-sale upfit for cruise control than they do on the assembly line.

It might make sense that they had a reason to "lock us out", but I don't think it's to stop us from turning off doublhonk or adding a trailer brake controller after purchase.

Just my opinion, of course.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
FNV would allow Ford to shut down a vehicle remotely or not allow the owner to operate the vehicle if attempted or implemented modifications to any of the factory settings (You own the vehicle, Ford owns the software and licensing that operates the vehicle) The only legal challenge I believe would be a decent case is the Right to Repair act, as more vehicles are full of new tech.
Sounds alot like what the John Deere folks are dealing with. There's a huge class action lawsuit and I think it's even making its way to the Supreme Court.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...o-repair-movement-goes-deere-hunting-00047357

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I don't think there are meetings at Ford where the VERY FEW people that retrofit a feature on their F150 are even on the radar. And if there was such a meeting, at least one person would point out that the Ford Motor Company makes considerably more profit from an after-sale upfit for cruise control than they do on the assembly line.
👆 Exactly, I don't even want to know how much money I've spent at Fordparts.com buying stuff to add to my truck that it didn't come with, all because we can modify certain things on the back side. Without that ability, that money would easily go elsewhere and not back to Ford, granted we're all just a drop in the ocean to that aspect but still.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
If that's what you are stating is their incentive, then I don't think I'm nearly as concerned about your prediction.

Ford wants to sell trucks, and if they didn't want you to buy an XL, they wouldn't make an XL available. (exactly what they do with the Lightning)

It might make sense that they had a reason to "lock us out", but I don't think it's to stop us from turning off doublhonk or adding a trailer brake controller after purchase.

Just my opinion, of course.
You're missing the overall picture but the second statement is on the money. The XL and XLT's are the most profitable trucks for Ford Corporate.

They may not offer certain features at purchase but would create a "dealer add on" with an overly expensive interface and then you pay the dealer. This creates an additional revenue stream for both Ford and the dealer. I am not making a prediction, Ford and many other companies are going after every additional dollar they can in areas they haven't. They are one of the few brands that don't charge for the use of an app or its related features after a short trial.

The lockout is a lockout to all changes or modification. FNV meaning Fully Networked Vehicle, not partially. It's much easier and more financially sound to create a complete security protocol than implement an encryption here or there. That would mean credentials, tool(s) and software would ONLY be licensed and available to the service tech if employed at a Ford dealer.

SnowCountry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 XLT 3.5, 2023 F-150 Plat PB
Count me in for the 2023 compatibility, new HVAC control unit should be showing up next week and I just received the FORScan OBDLink EX device yesterday. HSW would be up next but I'll wait to see how this unfolds before buying anything else.

What's the best way to send the logs to the FORScan guys?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're missing the overall picture but the second statement is on the money. The XL and XLT's are the most profitable trucks for Ford Corporate.
With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, I just don't understand how that could be true.
I had a 2016 XLT 302A that cost me $33k out the door, while I also had a 2018 KingRanch that cost me $61k after discount.

More than a couple of times it was pointed out while sitting on the porch and both trucks parked a few feet away, that one of those F150's had 2 of the other F150's in it. 🤣

Or put another way, I would point at the XLT and say that you LITERALLY can get 2 of these for the price of one of those.

How can Ford have made more profit from the XLT?

Although you could be right if both trucks were straight up sold for MSRP?
And that's certainly been the norm in the UNnormal world post Covid.
For decades you could purchase a dolled up XLT at $10-14k off of MSRP (in Texas, at least, where 1 in 4 F150's are sold) The higher trims were far less discounted. So I always assumed the REAL profits were that KingRanch.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
At the risk of continuing to keep this thread off the rails, there have been many articles written over the past 2 years about all vehicle manufacturers trying to push customers to their higher trims as they make a lot more profit per vehicle on them, hence part of the reason Ford eliminated the x01a options (although they can claim supply chain constraints). Reports are Ford makes an avg of $10k in profit per F150, and that is not coming from the XLs as many of those are sold to companies/gov agencies that have pricing well under invoice with their commercial pricing agreements, which is accomplished by the local dealer selling the vehicle at invoice and Ford then writing a rebate check to the customer.

SnowCountry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 XLT 3.5, 2023 F-150 Plat PB
Hopefully, getting back on track, I found this thread, and appears hopeful. https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=83973 I'm still waiting to pickup my 23, with a digital HVAC unit waiting for it, so hopefully Forescan will be able to work with My23.
I found that and a similar thread yesterday morning so I sent in my log and dump.bin files. They responded back to me today and said support for my vehicle would be included in the official v2.3.51 release which isn't out yet. Fingers crossed!

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Hope this is sorted out soon. Because I pick up my 23 this week and have some parts to put in.
Sponsored