First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
good new .... thank you so much for your reply.
by the way does it skip 2nd after the repair or go 1,2,3 gear now it has been fixed
It still skips gears if I lightly accelerate in normal mode. If I push it some it will go 1,2,3. It always does 1,2,3 in sport and tow mode. From my understanding the gear skipping is intentional because some of those gears are not needed under light driving.
Sponsored

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
Absolutely, sorry for the delay. The reply notification emails where in my junk folder for some reason. The work order is attached. It has some other stuff listed as well.

PXL_20210716_170049439~3.jpg

PXL_20210716_170100310~4.jpg
FYI to everyone- this isn’t a fix available for non powerboost trucks - I asked the dealer yesterday if they could run these updates on my 5.0 and they obliged but then called and told me I didn’t have this module in my truck…. Sooooo I guess I’ll deal with it for now but if anyone comes across a fix for 5.0 please let me know

F150White

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch
Has anyone else has this done? When I look at the TSB, it says that it is for the Pro Power onboard service required message. Does it somehow also fix the transmission issues? I want to take mine in for the hard shits but do not have any issues with the pro power inverter.

dworley21 did you have any issues with the pro power inverter?

htt

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Has anyone else has this done? When I look at the TSB, it says that it is for the Pro Power onboard service required message. Does it somehow also fix the transmission issues? I want to take mine in for the hard shits but do not have any issues with the pro power inverter.

dworley21 did you have any issues with the pro power inverter?

htt
No I didn't have any issues with the pro power that I knew of. The reprogram of the PCM was the fix for me. If I'm not mistaking the PCM on these trucks also controls the transmission. This PCM update seemed to focus on the hybrid parts of the truck. The dcaca module is the pro power. I was glad to have the software updated for it because I use it often and didn't want any surprise issues later.

Sponsored

stocovick

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat
I have the same hard/jerky shifting from 1-4 on my 2.7l eb. I am coming from an accord with a 10speed and the difference is brutal. Has anyone with an eb or v8 engine have had any luck getting it fixed by the dealer? My truck has 870 miles now and it does not seem to be getting better.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Hey @dworley21 sorry to bug, but how has the truck been shifting? How many miles since you had your PCM updated?

I have the exact same shift symptoms starting ~3k miles on my Powerboost except a P0316 code instead (TSB 21-2131 luckily looks to apply to me).

I recently reset the tables in forscan which definitely has helped and hoping its not a temporary fix.

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Hey @dworley21 sorry to bug, but how has the truck been shifting? How many miles since you had your PCM updated?

I have the exact same shift symptoms starting ~3k miles on my Powerboost except a P0316 code instead (TSB 21-2131 luckily looks to apply to me).

I recently reset the tables in forscan which definitely has helped and hoping its not a temporary fix.
My truck has shifted great ever since the update. I think it had 6000 or 7000 miles on it when I got the update. I have 17,000 now and have no complaints about it.

Ark LTD

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (ordering), Range Rover
I have 9500 miles on my powerboost. I almost always drive in Normal mode. I first noticed the herky-jerky transmission problem around 4k miles . . . But thought it was in my head or was my foot-to-pedal fault. It has gotten worse over time. Hard upshifting. Hard down shifting. Gear stutters back and forth. Not just gears 1-3 . . . But all the way up down to the 6-7-8 range. With Hard acceleration or interstate driving everything works fine. It’s always city or neighborhood driving, when going from 0 to 40 mph or 40 to 0 or coasting to a stoplight or slowly taking away from a stop light. I have a dealer appointment next week and will tell them what I’ve learned about the PCM resetting (above posts) and see what they say/do. If anyone else has dealer feedback on issue or fixes please advise.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
I have 9500 miles on my powerboost. I almost always drive in Normal mode. I first noticed the herky-jerky transmission problem around 4k miles . . . But thought it was in my head or was my foot-to-pedal fault. It has gotten worse over time. Hard upshifting. Hard down shifting. Gear stutters back and forth. Not just gears 1-3 . . . But all the way up down to the 6-7-8 range. With Hard acceleration or interstate driving everything works fine. It’s always city or neighborhood driving, when going from 0 to 40 mph or 40 to 0 or coasting to a stoplight or slowly taking away from a stop light. I have a dealer appointment next week and will tell them what I’ve learned about the PCM resetting (above posts) and see what they say/do. If anyone else has dealer feedback on issue or fixes please advise.
I've decided that the problem is that Ford's idea of what a Normal mode should be is just wrong. It feels more like a "sport lite" mode. The ECO mode transmission behavior is much closer to what normal should feel like imo. I've been driving almost exclusively in ECO for the last 2 weeks or so, and I don't even think about the transmission anymore.

Sponsored

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
I've decided that the problem is that Ford's idea of what a Normal mode should be is just wrong. It feels more like a "sport lite" mode. The ECO mode transmission behavior is much closer to what normal should feel like imo. I've been driving almost exclusively in ECO for the last 2 weeks or so, and I don't even think about the transmission anymore.
I would get it updated or looked at. I drive mine in normal mode and it shifts excellent. If I baby it, it just glides through the gears, if I push it, it firms the shifts up and goes smoothly. Eco mode just makes the engine and tranny less responsive, masking your issue.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would get it updated or looked at. I drive mine in normal mode and it shifts excellent. If I baby it, it just glides through the gears, if I push it, it firms the shifts up and goes smoothly. Eco mode just makes the engine and tranny less responsive, masking your issue.
The engine and tranny being too responsive IS the issue. I don't need/want the throttle on a hair-trigger and the transmission fully locked up at 5 mph when I'm driving through a parking lot. Nor do I need it trying to help me stop 200 yards from 45 mph by engine braking.

Last edited:

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
The engine and tranny being too responsive IS the issue. I don't need/want the throttle on a hair-trigger and the transmission fully locked up at 5 mph when I'm driving through a parking lot.
I agree the responsiveness is the issue. The tech and I discovered my issue was the engine and tranny shift not being in sync. The engine would apply torque too early in the shift which is what would cause the jerk or rarely a slam into 3rd gear. Towing would amplify the issue too. Maybe yours is a different issue, but a pcm update fixed my issue entirely.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree the responsiveness is the issue. The tech and I discovered my issue was the engine and tranny shift not being in sync. The engine would apply torque too early in the shift which is what would cause the jerk or rarely a slam into 3rd gear. Towing would amplify the issue too. Maybe yours is a different issue, but a pcm update fixed my issue entirely.
Is there a specific TSB I can mention to my dealer?

Last edited:

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Is there a specific TSB I can mention to my dealer?
I'm not sure, it took me getting very detailed and a tech ride along to replicate it. They try to say that's the way the 10R80 shifts, but my Expedition shifted excellent so I knew better. My dealer is decent so that helps too!
Sponsored