Hard Shift 1 to 3

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
I'm not sure, it took me getting very detailed and a tech ride along to replicate it. They try to say that's the way the 10R80 shifts, but my Expedition shifted excellent so I knew better. My dealer is decent so that helps too!

Not sure if we have the same issue or not. To me it just feels like there is too much Sport Mode behavior in Normal mode at low throttle. Tip-in is too aggressive, shifting is too firm at low speed/throttle. Truck engine brakes some as I'm slowing to a stop (this one is aggravating, i literally can't smoothly roll to a stop no matter how slow im going without feeling some "help" from that 3rd to 1st downshift)

I reset the learning tables with Forscan a few weeks back, and it seemed OK for 1-200 miles, but then mostly went back to the same behavior. Is any of this similar to what you're talking about?

Eco is definitely not ideal behavior all the way around, but when it comes to city driving with lots of stopping/starting the dulled down throttle/shifting behavior of ECO mode is just a lot more livable. If Normal behaved this way at low throttle and then got aggressive when I started dipping into it, that would be ideal.
Sponsored

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Not sure if we have the same issue or not. To me it just feels like there is too much Sport Mode behavior in Normal mode at low throttle. Tip-in is too aggressive, shifting is too firm at low speed/throttle. Truck engine brakes some as I'm slowing to a stop (this one is aggravating, i literally can't smoothly roll to a stop no matter how slow im going without feeling some "help" from that 3rd to 1st downshift)

I reset the learning tables with Forscan a few weeks back, and it seemed OK for 1-200 miles, but then mostly went back to the same behavior. Is any of this similar to what you're talking about?

Eco is definitely not ideal behavior all the way around, but when it comes to city driving with lots of stopping/starting the dulled down throttle/shifting behavior of ECO mode is just a lot more livable. If Normal behaved this way at low throttle and then got aggressive when I started dipping into it, that would be ideal.
I had firm up shifts on light throttle 1-3, 4-10 were decent.
1-2-3 was firm, but tolerable. 1 directly to 3 was a very rough shift at times. It felt like it was slipping and then would suddenly grab. I would also experience some unpleasant engine braking/charging 3rd to 1st. It didn't bother me much, but I did notice it. Now it stays in 3rd almost until it completely stops. It'll drop if needed on the transition to throttle. Hope that helps!

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
I had firm up shifts on light throttle 1-3, 4-10 were decent.
1-2-3 was firm, but tolerable. 1 directly to 3 was a very rough shift at times. It felt like it was slipping and then would suddenly grab. I would also experience some unpleasant engine braking/charging 3rd to 1st. It didn't bother me much, but I did notice it. Now it stays in 3rd almost until it completely stops. It'll drop if needed on the transition to throttle. Hope that helps!
I'm due up for an oil change before too long, I'll have a go at the dealer when i bring it in and see what they say. Thanks for the input.

JPK

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost 7.2kw
5100 miles and still hard shifts 1 to 3 and some very hard erratic downshifts mid gears. Reported to dealer service and as others have noted they are useless. Cant replicate, just brush you off. Will try the suggestion to use adaptive cruise. Overall a disappointing truck.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
5100 miles and still hard shifts 1 to 3 and some very hard erratic downshifts mid gears. Reported to dealer service and as others have noted they are useless. Cant replicate, just brush you off. Will try the suggestion to use adaptive cruise. Overall a disappointing truck.
Good morning, James, Can you send us over a private message with your VIN? I will look further into this for you.

Sponsored

GOF

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have 14000 miles on mine and still have the same hard shifts as you. Was at my dealer again yesterday for the third time and ask them to reset adaptive learning and they said they couldn't because there were no codes indicating a problem and that FORD would not pay them to scan without trouble code. Will Ford ever HELP?

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I have 14000 miles on mine and still have the same hard shifts as you. Was at my dealer again yesterday for the third time and ask them to reset adaptive learning and they said they couldn't because there were no codes indicating a problem and that FORD would not pay them to scan without trouble code. Will Ford ever HELP?
Not sure how techy you are, but you can always try installing forscan yourself. Check out the forscan threads here.

I reset my adaptive learning tables myself and the problem has been gone for ~500 miles. If it ever comes back Im going to have to go in and get a PCM update.

Reactions: GOF

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I have the same exact problem. Most of the time it is smooth, but frequently it feels like a teenager learning to drive a manual for the first time. My local dealership is equally useless. Hopefully there is a solution from Ford soon.

Dd08

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
i just picked up delivery on Wednesday and am having the same problem from 3rd to 4th and i believe 5th to 6th as well. Clunky downshifting is less common.

I'm in a 2.7L Ecoboost. i notice it when I slowly accelerate, when i accelerate harder and faster it is not noticeable at all.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Over 15,000 miles on mine and mine has had that issue since mile 10. Dealerships have all said the same thing: they "can't" replicate it, or my personal favorite, "they''re all like that."

BS. If they are all like that then why does it only happen some of the time? Something's not right. Period.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!