Hard Shift 1 to 3

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Anyone else notice a hard shift from 1 to 3 (when skipping 2) under normal driving conditions and light acceleration? Mine is clunky. I believe skipping 2 is expected in eco and normal modes, but I haven’t verified this. I mean, I baby this truck as far as the throttle, and I expect it to be much smoother there.

PowerBoost 4x4 driving in 2WD for reference.
Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Anyone else notice a hard shift from 1 to 3 (when skipping 2) under normal driving conditions and light acceleration? Mine is clunky. I believe skipping 2 is expected in eco and normal modes, but I haven’t verified this. I mean, I baby this truck as far as the throttle, and I expect it to be much smoother there.

PowerBoost 4x4 driving in 2WD for reference.
Yes. I’m experiencing the same to the point that I was worried there was something wrong with the transmission. It’s fine of course, but same as you, noticed it doesn’t go into second gear in eco or normal under light / normal acceleration. It sometimes does under heavy acceleration in those modes and other scenarios and drive modes.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Have you guys tried using adaptive cruise? It will do the absolute most optimal starts on the accelerator possible, using the computer. If this still makes a clunky start then you know it is not your foot inability, it is the truck's.

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
I know with my last truck, I was told it took a bit for the truck to learn the transmission, shifting etc....Not sure if it was true or not but my shifting seemed to improve the more I "broke it in". Or it was all in my head. Could be that as well!

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Mine skipped 2nd most of the time in normal mode through probably the first 700 miles, now I've noticed it usually hits every gear.

Sponsored

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
My 2021 Powerboost also has the rough shift from 1 to 3. It also has a thump after it appears the shift is complete. The 1 to 2 shift is usually smoother but can be rough too. I have also noticed the occasional rough down shift in the upper gears. It currently has 2500 miles. My wife's 19 Expy with the 10R80 has super smooth shifting so it was a little bit of a shock how rough my truck shifts.

Reactions: GOF

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Another thing to check and this may just be in my head, but mine appears to shift better with traction control and advancetrac disabled. It's still not 100%, but it's an improvement.

jonesnij

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Yes. Transmission only seems to have hard shifts shortly after startup. Everything is fine after things are warmed up.

KYf150covid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Mine does a hard shift down when I’m decelerating (like just coasting up up a hill-foot off the gas and not using the break). Shifts super hard from whatever gear it is in down to 1 or 2. Anyone else?

Last edited:

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Mine also shifts pretty hard from 1 to 3. Sometimes on down shifts, but always from 1 to 3, cold or hot.

Sponsored

Mauler001

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 xlt
Just got a loaner vehicle purchased as new and the vehicle is hard shifting above 20 mph as well as when I am coming to a stop. Called several dealerships and they ate saying the transmission goes through a learning curve and adapts to the driver, but since my vehicle was a loaner and has over 1000 miles on it it might need a reset on the module. Very concerned since I just dropped a ton of cash on the vehicle.

dworley21

First Name
David Worley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
software engineer
Mine shifts good except for the 1 to 3 on pull out from a stop. I was worried I had an issue so I used Forscan to reset the transmissions adaptive tables. It shifted perfect after that for about 1000 miles and then started shifting a little more rough on the 1 to 3. It's still significantly better than before the reset. I don't think it's a hardware issue. I think it's an issue with the learning and I would expect a software update for it in the near future as they perfect these Powerboost.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Mine shifts good except for the 1 to 3 on pull out from a stop. I was worried I had an issue so I used Forscan to reset the transmissions adaptive tables. It shifted perfect after that for about 1000 miles and then started shifting a little more rough on the 1 to 3. It's still significantly better than before the reset. I don't think it's a hardware issue. I think it's an issue with the learning and I would expect a software update for it in the near future as they perfect these Powerboost.
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Carry on.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm fairly new to the world of FORScan. How does one go about resetting the transmission adaptive tables? This sounds like something I wouldn't mind trying on mine for the same reasons, even though mine is the 5.0 and not a Powerboost. My transmission also seems to have intermittent issues shifting 1st to 3rd, but it's mostly noticeable when coming to a stop with a hard/sudden downshift from 5th to 4th, or 4th to 3rd. I figure resetting the learning is the first thing the dealer is going to do anyway.

Last edited:

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
I wish I would've seen this thread before I dropped my PB off at the dealer. It was shifting insanely hard from 1-3, no matter which drive mode was in use. I'm pretty sure my dealer is clueless thus far, as they have indicated it's due to "the engine misfiring during the 1 to 3 shift"... It did have misfire codes, but they were due to an open TSB from ford on the PB models.

I got the truck with 6 miles on it, and have put about 3,000 miles on it so far. I drive like a grandma 99% of the time, so not sure why the trans would have "learned" such a rough shift style.
Sponsored