Happy with 5.0?

Hivolt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 super crew, max tow, 400hp 302
I love my 5.0! It feels quick and nimble, and sounds awesome! I dont like the way the tranny shifts in stop and go traffic but it has the manual button for that. I drive through a large city with heavy traffic daily so I probably dont get a lot of cylinder deactivation. Back in high school if you could get 1hp per Cubic Inch you were doing good. Now I have a 302 with 400hp and i love it!

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
Traded in a 2011 Ecoboost for a 2021 5.0 and "Thrilled" to be back in a V8!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I love my 5.0! It feels quick and nimble, and sounds awesome! I dont like the way the tranny shifts in stop and go traffic but it has the manual button for that. I drive through a large city with heavy traffic daily so I probably dont get a lot of cylinder deactivation. Back in high school if you could get 1hp per Cubic Inch you were doing good. Now I have a 302 with 400hp and i love it!
If you're that impressed with the 5.0 pulling a 4X4 screw, I can't wait to see how it tosses around a Reg Cab Short Bed!

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Well, got into the engineering mode a bit ago.
Wanted to adjust the mpg reading to not read so optimistic.
In my keyed XLT, these are the steps I used.

1. Depress brake pedal and hold.
2. Press and hold “OK” on steering wheel.
3. Turn ignition switch to “ON” but do not start.

Engineering Mode appears
Press ”Up” arrow and the fuel AFE appears (that is as far as I needed to go)
adjust to the number you come up with in your calculations.
(actual calculated mileage divided by display mileage)
I came up with .965, so I adjusted to 960 from 1000 (1000 is factory setting)

Now my display is reading a bit shy of actual, but I prefer that over being a bit too proud.

The adjustment created a difference of just under 1mpg and I needed to reduce it by .75.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Woah, what! First I hear of this. What other options are available in this mode?
looking at some videos of the older trucks, there is a lot of stuff in there.
probably best if 99% or more was left alone.
Its raining out, so I did not do a Lot of exploring.
just made my change because I just filled up

HJL

First Name
Harv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR 5.0, 2006 Escape
Occupation
Self employed
I ordered back in February and all I have so far is a VIN. I went with a KR 5.0 3.73 after having 3 F150's with the 3.5 ECO. I am struggling with the long wait as I can't wait to get back to a V/8. No issues with the 3.5 but can't wait to step on it and hear actual old school engine rumble. My ears can't wait...

Deleted member 2919

I ordered back in February and all I have so far is a VIN. I went with a KR 5.0 3.73 after having 3 F150's with the 3.5 ECO. I am struggling with the long wait as I can't wait to get back to a V/8. No issues with the 3.5 but can't wait to step on it and hear actual old school engine rumble. My ears can't wait...
I want you to be prepared for a very very modest V8 sound. From the factory, the truck is relatively quiet. Although, it doesn't take much money to release the rumble you are looking for.

Sponsored

DLav8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A PowerBoost 7.2kw
Very happy with my 5.0 so far. I’m getting 23.5 on the highway and over 19mpg in the city. Guess I’m getting old, more than enough power and I have the 3.31 gears. I was concerned I should have held out for the EB before buying the v8. 10 spd really helps and mine has been butter Smooth after the first week of learning. I don’t notice CD at all. I’ve owned multiple Hondas/GM and could always tell when CD kicked in. The Ford has been seamless and I’ve been impressed that I can’t notice it kick in.

Again, very impressed. Sound is a bonus. Jury is our for long term reliability, but I’m optimistic.

I bought this truck as a holdover while waiting for my 502a PB order, but I may revaluate that decision now. I’m seeing more problems crop up with the power boost. It’s a great system, but complex.

Last edited:

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Very happy with my 5.0 so far. I’m getting 23.5 in the highway and over 19mpg in the city. Guess I’m getting old, more than enough power and I have the 3.31 gears. I was concerned I should have held out for the EB. 10 spd really helps and mine has been butter Smooth after the first week of learning. I don’t notice CD at all. I’ve owned multiple Hondas/GM and could always tell when CD kicked in. The Ford has been seamless and I’ve been impressed that I can’t notice it kick in.

Again, very impressed. Sound is a bonus. Jury is our for long term reliability, but I’m optimistic.

I bought this truck as a holdover while waiting for my 502a PB order, but I may revaluate that decision now. I’m seeing more problems crop up with the power boost. It’s a great system, but complex.
Pretty much my experience. I have 3.73 and am getting about 1 mpg less all around. 502A PB would be my preference too, but I didn't want to spend the extra $15-20K over 5.0 302A.

Mike2019SCrew

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4WD 5.0, 2019 2WD 3.5 SCrew FBO previous
I have heard that driving in Sport or Tow Haul modes will turn it off.
I can confirm sport mode turns off CD. I have a Corsa dB exhaust (taken off previous 2019 3.5) and it sounds AMAZING - until CD kicks in. Sounds just wrong then lol. Now it's sport mode as soon as the truck is on.

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
I can confirm sport mode turns off CD. I have a Corsa dB exhaust (taken off previous 2019 3.5) and it sounds AMAZING - until CD kicks in. Sounds just wrong then lol. Now it's sport mode as soon as the truck is on.
Good news! Thanks for confirming. Not sure how much this will affect gas mileage but oh well!
Sponsored