Sponsored

Happy with 5.0?

jiggadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Had a ‘17 with the 5.0 but there have been some changes since that model year. Just wondering if people are happy with their 5.0 and what made you pick that option? Thanks.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I haven't got mine yet, but I opted for the v8 for a couple of reasons.
Pickups and v8s just go together
Been driving v8 trucks since I was 16----a few 454 trucks----fuel mileage was never a concern
Have a v6 Ranger----okay I guess, but I don't use that thing for any real work.
Towed a small trailer from Las Vegas to San Antonio with it long ago, most miserable trip of my life.
Currently, my daily, is a 98 K1550 5.7, 5spd---I think I love this truck more than life itself.
Rides nice, decent fuel, mileage, no rattles or squeaks, is capable of doing real wok, and I don't care too much if it scratched up a bit
And, since the 5.0 in the new one is normally aspirated, it is not being pushed to the limits for the HP it has. It needs no help from forced air to get the numbers---I think that will add to longevity.
That is kind of important, I keep the trucks a very long time.
Still have a 79 Chev 454/4spd I bought new in 79 when I was still 18

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
Got mine on 2-9 and paid for it, but did not pick it up for a few days.

Mostly just doing put put work and not really testing the capabilities, altho I am impressed with the passing power/response. 50-80 is pretty quick and good for freeway merging and general getting the hell out of the way.

Fuel mileage that first week or so was not impressive, but then we had our Texas blizzard and a lot of the time the truck sat idling or only getting a couple of 10 mile trips in with a proper warm up and de-icing.

I have just filled up the tank after about 300 miles and hand calculated about 14-15 mpg.
Coming home from the dealer, it was showing 11.5 mpg and over the course of a couple of weeks it had moved up to into the 14-15 range.

Since the fill up I have noticed the indicator increasing quite frequently one point at a time.
This morning showed me an avg. of 17.5 with less than 350 mile on the clock, and that beats the old Chevy that had averaged about 16 for its whole life.

I expect it to eventually climb up to 19-20 with my driving habits and driving routes.
Little to none city driving, but not all hiway----a mix of speeds ranging from 30-70 with only a couple of stop signs/signals in my daily path

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Bryan, Can you share your experience with the cylinder deactivation? I have a Lariat with the 5.0 on order because I'm also a huge fan of the 8 cylinder but the CD has me a bit concerned because I have never had a vehicle with an engine that has it. Not even sure how it works but my impression is some of cylinders do not activate at low speeds. Thanks

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
Bryan, Can you sure your experience with the cylinder deactivation?

Not even sure how it works but my impression is some of cylinders do not activate at low speeds. Thanks
I was under the same impression---that it activates at lower speeds.

I have about 10 miles of roadway on my commute that I keep below 50mph. Just a couple of lights, and no to light traffic.

I have yet to feel this so called cylinder deactivation comer into play.
I'm not even real sure it is even part of the truck.
I may give "ECO" mode a try for a couple of morning rides to see if it will happen then.

Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Haven’t received the truck yet, but I went with the Coyote. I’m probably old-school, but I like the idea of a simple V8 with lots of headroom. Should be trouble free for a very long time at its stock performance.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Under 600 miles still. Averaging 16.5 I am guessing this will continue to climb a bit. Hoping to get it closer to 18 AVG if possible.

I have seen zero signs of cylinder deactivation. No sounds or feedback feeling and also no dash indicators under any speeds.

All said and done I would buy the 5.0 again without hesitation. With 3.73 gears this thing moves. Love the sound as well. Looking forward to towing with it this summer and seeing how she does!

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport
Under 600 miles still. Averaging 16.5 I am guessing this will continue to climb a bit. Hoping to get it closer to 18 AVG if possible.

I have seen zero signs of cylinder deactivation. No sounds or feedback feeling and also no dash indicators under any speeds.

All said and done I would buy the 5.0 again without hesitation. With 3.73 gears this thing moves. Love the sound as well. Looking forward to towing with it this summer and seeing how she does!

I'm curious about V-8 fuel economy on highway trips and with the 3.31 rear axle.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Have the 5.0L with 3.73 locking rear on mine (2WD). It's great! Only have about 300 miles on it so far, but if there's cylinder deactivation, I can't tell.

FWIW I used to have a C7 'Vette with cyl deactivation and you could definitely feel it when it kicked in, car would make a "thunk" sound and you could feel it in the seat if you were paying attention. Not a big deal at all even if this car did something similar, wouldn't stop me from buying it, but again I haven't felt *anything* so far...

Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I like the 5.0 but when the changed the engine to cycle deactivation engine I went with the hybrid. Chevy had problems with the deactivation cycle engines and ford will have problems as well. The 5.0 coyote was a great engine so they should've left it alone. Maybe offered the deactivation cycles as an upgrade. 400 hp 5.0 or 430 hp hybrid with more Towing capabilities was a no brainer for me. My order came in this pass week and I'm more the happy with it. I had a 5.0 out for test drive and the hybrid by far is the better truck. Just don't trust the new cycle deactivation.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Unfortunately, with the constant change in engine design; you will need to ask me that question in a few years!

Had I really been given the choice, I would have opted for the 6.2 V8, since I see F-250s for sale all the time with high miles and the SOHC iron block V8 is a great choice. Unfortunately too, I didn’t like my test ride in a F-250, though it turned out to have a misaligned front end. It was also a bit too big for what I need.

There’s been a ton of things updated for the Coyote this year, hopefully none of them will take away from its reliability in older models. Aside from oil consumption, I don’t see many complaints and I have seen many used trucks with decent miles on the Coyote, which is why I bought new. I just couldn’t find anything used that made any sense.

I have a 5.4 32V Intech V8 in my ‘01 Navigator and with the 4speed transmission, 3.73 gears and full time 4X4, I get between 15-18mpg which is better than its EPA rating. My last truck, an ‘06 Silverado in 2wd with a 4sp. transmission and 4.8V8 got 18mpg city and highway, which was better city mileage than the EPA rating but 1mpg worse on the highway. I also tend to exceed EPA ratings in other vehicles I have owned or driven, in fact, I have usually gotten better mpg in my vehicles than the previous owners. So I really hope that I can at least match the sticker on my truck when the motor is past its break-in period.

So far, I am really impressed with the 10sp transmission. Seeing as how it has 3 overdrive gears. I ordered the 3.73 rear end without hesitation. The power is more than enough, I might have been happy with the base V6 but from experiences of people that I knew, V6 engines don’t last as long in full size trucks. I did know that I didn’t want to have any turbos to worry about.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
I'm curious about V-8 fuel economy on highway trips and with the 3.31 rear axle.
I have 3.31 in mine
I have an easy commute, and according to my display, the mileage is creeping up daily

Hit 17.1 this morning on my way to work.
I’m expecting for it to move up to close to 18 before too long.

ive had it 3 weeks now, and one of those weeks was the “big freeze” here in Texas and I pretty much stayed home except for daily coffee runs.

it has move up from 11.6 on the day I brought it home to 17.1 today.

at least it is going in the right direction.

hand calculating at fill up over the weekend got me 16.5
Just a bit better than the old Chevy 4x4 with 5.7/5spd/3.73

Cconnss

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT-5.0L-FX4 302AHigh
I have 3.31 in mine
I have an easy commute, and according to my display, the mileage is creeping up daily

Hit 17.1 this morning on my way to work.
I’m expecting for it to move up to close to 18 before too long.

ive had it 3 weeks now, and one of those weeks was the “big freeze” here in Texas and I pretty much stayed home except for daily coffee runs.

it has move up from 11.6 on the day I brought it home to 17.1 today.

at least it is going in the right direction.

hand calculating at fill up over the weekend got me 16.5
Just a bit better than the old Chevy 4x4 with 5.7/5spd/3.73

How do you like the 3.31 ratio?

I ordered the 3.31 gears as well(in error, kind of), makes me a little nervous for low end torque/pull off the line. Currently have a '19 - 5.0L w/3.55 gears. I hope I don't notice much difference.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
I like them
How do you like the 3.31 ratio?

I ordered the 3.31 gears as well(in error, kind of), makes me a little nervous for low end torque/pull off the line. Currently have a '19 - 5.0L w/3.55 gears. I hope I don't notice much difference.
I like them just fine.
The truck is quite a bit more responsive than my 98 Chev (5.7/5spd).
I am not one to dilly dally when the light turns green, and I wish to reach the speed limit or better as quickly as possible without crossing into exhibition acceleration zone.
I don’t tow or haul a lot, but wanted the long box so things would fit, and the improved ride as well.
My old truck is no slouch with 3.73, but this new one will walk all over it as far as acceleration, even the 50-80 is quick in the new one.

If I have to tow or haul anything that may compromise the limits of the f150, I still have the old one for real heavy crap. Everything about that truck is heavy duty and 3000 pounds in the back barely drops it. ( I love that truck, AC, tilt, cruise and nothing else as far as creature comforts)
Sponsored