Stubblejumper

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did a lot of research on Tundras. My buddy has one and it's a fine truck, runs well. That being said, there's an issue that could potentially affect any Tundra's made since 2007, cam shaft oil leak that requires open heart surgery to fix. A huge thread on the Tundra forums about it, looks like Toyota just never bothered to fix it, even in the 2021 model.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/

So that, plus how inefficient it is, plus how relatively ancient its tech is...F-150 all the way.

I can only speak from actual experience , having owned a 2007 Tundra for 12 years, zero issues, two good friends have had their Tundras for about 10 years, also zero issues. All three vehicles operate full time in a harsh climate that sees temperatures below -40 every year. Ford has been plagued with long term issues like cam phasers, which are much, much more common, and that hasn't been fixed, which was why I was hesitant to buy an F-150. But you are correct about ancient tech, that is what finally swayed me. Then again, I expect the 2022 Tundra to be a class leader again, but that will only last a few years, as the next Tundra update will likely be another 10+ years off.

Advertisement

OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege
I can only speak from actual experience , having owned a 2007 Tundra for 12 years, zero issues, two good friends have had their Tundras for about 10 years, also zero issues. All three vehicles operate full time in a harsh climate that sees temperatures below -40 every year. Ford has been plagued with long term issues like cam phasers, which are much, much more common, and that hasn't been fixed, which was why I was hesitant to buy an F-150. But you are correct about ancient tech, that is what finally swayed me. Then again, I expect the 2022 Tundra to be a class leader again, but that will only last a few years, as the next Tundra update will likely be another 10+ years off.
Toyota definitely has quality down.

With their redesign for the 2022 model year, we shall see.

Ford is already messing with their design and adding features to their 2021 trucks to keep it ahead of the curve.

Sergeant Gearhead

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Nice report! Really wondering what Toyota is planning to do with the interior for the 2022 redesign. Will they join the screen wars like Ford (and eventually GM) are?

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
Soon to be first time Ford owner, when it gets delivered, here. Always drove General Motors or Toyota trucks. Never had a problem with either but never kept any of them more than three years until this last GMC 10years. Switching to the F150 for the Tech/Hybrid and personally think it's a step above those others this year. They will catch up and possible surpass them but I'm buying this year and don't want to wait.

OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege
Soon to be first time Ford owner, when it gets delivered, here. Always drove General Motors or Toyota trucks. Never had a problem with either but never kept any of them more than three years until this last GMC 10years. Switching to the F150 for the Tech/Hybrid and personally think it's a step above those others this year. They will catch up and possible surpass them but I'm buying this year and don't want to wait.
I think you’ll be satisfied. There’s a reason the the Ford F-Series trucks make up nearly 40% of the truck market.

OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege
Nice report! Really wondering what Toyota is planning to do with the interior for the 2022 redesign. Will they join the screen wars like Ford (and eventually GM) are?
Thank you! I think they have to. At least a 10” infotainment screen to stay competitive.

Sergeant Gearhead

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Thank you! I think they have to. At least a 10” infotainment screen to stay competitive.
That sounds about right. I have a feeling that when Toyota releases the new Tundra, Nissan will be SCRAMBLING to pull together a redesigned Titan! My point is this: The biggest problem that Japanese truckmakers have is that they simply fail to constantly keep updating their truck portfolio like the way domestic manufacturers like Ford, GM, and Ram do. And when the rest of the competition is continually adding new tech, more innovative features, and fresher designs, you just start to forget about the older trucks after a while. Just look at the current Nissan Frontier. That thing is so old most people have probably forgotten about it at this point.

UNIKRN150

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Loaded Reg Cab Short bed 4x4 5.0 AntiBlue
I saw a 2021 Platinum Rapid Red at the bank today. Gorgeous truck! You're gonna love it!

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
That sounds about right. I have a feeling that when Toyota releases the new Tundra, Nissan will be SCRAMBLING to pull together a redesigned Titan! My point is this: The biggest problem that Japanese truckmakers have is that they simply fail to constantly keep updating their truck portfolio like the way domestic manufacturers like Ford, GM, and Ram do. And when the rest of the competition is continually adding new tech, more innovative features, and fresher designs, you just start to forget about the older trucks after a while. Just look at the current Nissan Frontier. That thing is so old most people have probably forgotten about it at this point.
It's not just tech where the Japanese trucks are falling far behind. It is basic things like engine and transmission design. The best current Tundra has 50 less HP and nearly HALF the EPA MPG in town than my PowerBoost.

FX4GUY

First Name
Ros
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 FX4 SC 3.5L Eco
Occupation
Contractor
Purchased a 2021 Ram Limited Crew Cab 4x4 a month ago, with Frost Interior. By far the nicest interior, highest quality, real, full leather, excellent stitching, handling and ride quality. That said, I traded it in week before last still with a temp tag for a 2021 XLT PB FX4 SC, and made $$$$$ stupid money trading the unit in. The fuel economy is the only negative I see with the RAM, 13.7mpg in the city, maybe 19MPG's on the HWY at 70-75mph.

PB, the best power, and fuel economy I have encountered yet. The Electric Motor has kicked on at speed of 50mph, which is 10mph higher than Ford previously stated.

Sergeant Gearhead

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
It's not just tech where the Japanese trucks are falling far behind. It is basic things like engine and transmission design. The best current Tundra has 50 less HP and nearly HALF the EPA MPG in town than my PowerBoost.
You're exactly right. The biggest nail in the coffin is that Nissan and Toyota don't offer as many powertrain choices as an F-150 or Silverado/Sierra does, so even if you do want to buy a Toyota Tundra or Nissan Titan, you're stuck with a V-8 that has poor fuel economy and, even on its own it's not as good as a Coyote from the F-150, the 6.2 from the Chevy/GMC twins, or even the 5.7 L HEMI from the Ram 1500.

Advertisement

Advertisement