Sponsored

Halogen vs LED OEM headlights? 13th gen owner input?

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
So, in researching the strengths and weaknesses of the 13th generation of F-150's (2015-2020), I've read over and over how horrible Ford's OEM headlights are with regards to light intensity and beam pattern. I haven't been able to confirm for myself if this perceived weakness is limited to just their halogen headlights or their LED headlights as well.

Can any owners of this generation of truck speak to your personal impressions of the OEM headlights?

Does anyone have personal experience with both the Halogen and LED OEM headlights and able to provide a general comparison between the two?

Does anyone have personal experience with any of the better aftermarket upgrades (Morimoto XB, Alpha Rex NOVA-Series, etc.) and how they actually compare to the OEM headlights in intensity and pattern?

Would greatly appreciate any insights anyone has to share.

Respectfully.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Go with OEM LED headlights and call it a day.

No aftermarket LED bulb replacement can compare to the OEM LED headlight assembly.

The next best option would be the Morimoto assemblies and many owners replace their OEM “halogen” assemblies for these.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how much do you want or are willing to spend and go from there.

OP
OP
Striker Hawk

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Found this extensive comparison video on YouTube between the Morimoto and the Alpha Rex NOVA.

Alpha Rex for the win in this particular comparison.

What you can't know obviously is to what level both sets of headlights can be adjusted to correct their shortcomings, and how they might actually compare if you took the time to really dial each of them in before making the comparison.

LaserDawg1981

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 ford mustang, 2015 ford edge
I have halogen in my Ford edge and led in my mustang and I love the led. It is a lot brighter, go farther, and a lot wider. You also see the road better in the rain.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mazda 3
Occupation
Nurse
I love the look of the LEDs but the only knock about them is the costs, if they burn out they’re expensive to fix/replace. When they start yellowing after years of use they’ll be VERY expensive to replace.
my wife’s Honda has led lights and they’re great but one burnt out within 3 years of being brand new. (luckily replaced under warranty) would’ve been outrageous out of pocket if we had to cover it.

Sponsored

Chris1229

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 xlt 302a
Occupation
I own a painting company in sarasota fl
I had a 2019 lariat 502a with the factory led’s and loved them. That truck was a lease and I just bought a xlt fully loaded 302a with the halogens and I hate the light output. I will be doing some research and figuring out a aftermarket led headlight option like the once mentioned above.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I had a 2019 lariat 502a with the factory led’s and loved them. That truck was a lease and I just bought a xlt fully loaded 302a with the halogens and I hate the light output. I will be doing some research and figuring out a aftermarket led headlight option like the once mentioned above.
The 302A on the 2021 XLT comes with LEDs, so you won't need any aftermarket upgrade to your lighting, unless you bought a 2020.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
I did a custom projector setup on my 2011. The halogens sucked so bad. The Retrofit Source was awesome:
Ford F-150 Halogen vs LED OEM headlights? 13th gen owner input? 1601330053820

Ford F-150 Halogen vs LED OEM headlights? 13th gen owner input? 1601331170301

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Have to play Devil's Advocate here.

I am not too fond of those bright white lamps coming at me on the road.
Not only is it a bit painful when they can light up the universe, but I am one of those that is temporarily blinded by even regular old fashion sealed beams on brights..

I'm also rural, and SELDOM use my high beams.
I find it easier to spot sparkly eyeballs hiding in the brush on the side of the road if I am looking beyond my headlights---yes, you can spot the deer, hogs and sometimes cattle lurking on the side of the road.

I do have halogen sealed beams in--66 ElCamino, 65 Ranchero, 98 K1500 and I am not in the habit of using the brights on those either.

The bright white and the bright blue lamps are also very distracting while they are coming at me.

Half or more of my driving is in the dark. And, those deer and hogs are extremely unpredictable.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
Have to play Devil's Advocate here.

I am not too fond of those bright white lamps coming at me on the road.
Not only is it a bit painful when they can light up the universe, but I am one of those that is temporarily blinded by even regular old fashion sealed beams on brights..

I'm also rural, and SELDOM use my high beams.
I find it easier to spot sparkly eyeballs hiding in the brush on the side of the road if I am looking beyond my headlights---yes, you can spot the deer, hogs and sometimes cattle lurking on the side of the road.

I do have halogen sealed beams in--66 ElCamino, 65 Ranchero, 98 K1500 and I am not in the habit of using the brights on those either.

The bright white and the bright blue lamps are also very distracting while they are coming at me.

Half or more of my driving is in the dark. And, those deer and hogs are extremely unpredictable.
That’s why I go for a true projector setup (and proper aiming). I hate blinding other drivers, and the standard light output from most setups is lackluster. When you choose a projector pattern you can also determine width and focus. I chose a setup to make sure my pattern was extremely wide so I could see animals on those pure dark back roads.

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
I have had the HID Projector beams on my 2015 MISHIMTO had them built to my specs from Retrofit source and loved the output, had the halogens when it arrived and they had to go...

I have a Platinum with the LED's and I really like the output, most of my driving is 2 lane roads and they really light up the ditches and out front so that I can spot the fast cows (deer) that are trying to cross the roadway...
Sponsored