OP

wesb2013

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2014 F150
That's exactly what I was quoted for. Here's what I decided: The hood will be repaired of all hail damage, and I'll get what they called a "used car touch up" which will make the chips and scratches look less noticeable
Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Fix everything that insurance will fix.
Scamming insurance. Not cool.
Insurance protects the value of your vehicle. They pay up when an event reduces the vehicle's value. At that point you are free to do whatever you want with that payment.

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Just an FYI...if you have an insurance claim it will show up on a CarFax report.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
In my opinion, whether you fix it or not before you sell it is not necessarily a fraud question. It seems to me that you could ethically sell your vehicle "as is" with damage, as long as you're above-board with respect to the vehicle having damage and reducing the asking price commensurate with the cost to repair that damage (or something along those lines negotiated between parties with full knowledge of the real condition of the vehicle).

The value of the asset has been reduced due to the damage (and for which you've already been reimbursed), so it would be fraud to try to sell it at full market (undamaged) value. It wouldn't be insurance fraud, since you made a legitimate damage claim. I think that it could be considered sales fraud, however.
It's a used 8 year old truck. You don't need to "disclose" obvious dents in the hood any more than you need to "declare" how much tread is on the tires. It wasn't in a flood, or totaled in a rollover. There is no authority who sets used vehicle prices. The value is whatever someone is willing and able to pay.

I know it wasn't you...but the idea that there is anything even remotely insurance fraudy here is completely misguided. The insured vehicle sustained a covered loss. You can see it as diminished value or cost to remedy. There is no obligation to I spend the payment on restoring the vehicle.

Unless someone tried to make a new claim next year based on the prior damage...which nobody suggested...there is nothing to talk about.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The “fraud” kicks in if there is someone else’s name somewhere else on the title. (Financial Institution-Lein holder)
They have an interest in the property as well.
I would bet more than 50% of these pickups out there have a third party interest. Those are the people being scammed.
If you own you truck outright and there is no name in that little “ lein holder” box on the title, do as you wish.
My truck is owned outright with “none” in that little box on the title, but I still opted for the repairs “cause I have to look at it”.

Hell, I had one side of my Ranger painted because the sun baked the paint off the passenger side—and I had to look at it while sitting on the front porch. Probably spent a small fortune in fixing weird body damage either from “me” stupid moments, nature, or somebody’s lawn chair dropped on the freeway at a blind curve.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Not only is NOT using insurance claim money to repair NOT scamming anything.... if your not aware, you should be, the insurance companies do NOT want you to do cosmetic repairs.

I'll use one company that starts with the letter at the beginning of the alphabet..

They have it down to a (minimum cost to them ) "science". You use their claim app, take pictures your self as part of the claim along with descriptions, they, without having to send an adjuster out, have the claim done AND the money deposited to you in usually less than 24 hours.

Why so fast and why pay out directly to you? Because EVERY SINGLE INITIAL CLAIM is less than actual going rate to get it fixed. If you take it in to get it fixed, their will be adjustments and their pay out will go up 50 to 100%.

They count on most people thinking, I don't have the deductible to cover right now, and I just got some "extra" cash in my debit account. I'm good to go.

They really don't want you to figure out the actual hit to the value of the vehicle is more than they had to pay out.

And, if you are unlucky, and have another hail storm, or fender bender the next year, the payout will be an even lower amount of the actual cost to repair, as they will claim they already paid for some of the damage, that you didn't fix, that is showing in the pics. And you would be stuck arguing which parts of the damage is NEW damage.
Sponsored