Ground fault with nothing plugged in 7.2kW

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For the past couple weeks every time I turn on the truck I get an error saying “ground fault error” I am unable to reset it by either of the following avenues:

1)pressing reset on the touch screen
2) pressing the button in the cab and the tailgate

This is frustrating as it makes my pro power onboard not usable in the cab or the generator mode.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
For the past couple weeks every time I turn on the truck I get an error saying “ground fault error” I am unable to reset it by either of the following avenues:

This is frustrating as it makes my pro power onboard not usable in the cab or the generator mode.
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB

I had exactly the same issue with my 2kw EB but it was intermittent. It seems to partially correlate with rain/ice/snow. Dealership looked at it and threw their arms in the air saying they couldn't replicate the problem and since it takes two weeks or more to get on the calendar with the service department, there was no way for me to guarantee that would have the issue going into the shop. Problem was fixed for me by trading the truck in.

OP
OP
DMuiser

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I had exactly the same issue with my 2kw EB but it was intermittent. It seems to partially correlate with rain/ice/snow. Dealership looked at it and threw their arms in the air saying they couldn't replicate the problem and since it takes two weeks or more to get on the calendar with the service department, there was no way for me to guarantee that would have the issue going into the shop. Problem was fixed for me by trading the truck in.

Mine started after a big snow storm and didn't work for almost a week and a half. We just had a warm couple days and the snow and ice under the truck all thawed out and now it is working again. So must have something to do with weather affecting the ground/ wiring?

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Hi

My 7.2 PB has been ground faulting since 11/2/21. The day i picked it up new . 2 dealer visits no solution . Im told software by april 2022 may be the issue. I have learned that if Generator will turn on the ground fault happens if truck gets wet. Rain or snow .even wet roads w tires kicking up moisture. Once it faults it cant be reset and i clearly see it resets on its own after being dry for 24 to 48 hours .this tells me a connection is not secure . I can repeatedly make the fault occur by taking truck to car wash . Every time . No fault on way in . Zeconds after driving in to car wash the ground fault occurs and will reset a couple days later presumably as water evaporates.
Returning with this info to dealer to ask again to check connections for improper seal .
No software fails because it gets wet!!!!
Ford marketing said they might look into it but couldnt let me talk to an engineer .
Im out 73thousand plus tax and cant use generator with any reliability. Makes me unlikely to ever buy any ford again .

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Hi

My 7.2 PB has been ground faulting since 11/2/21. The day i picked it up new . 2 dealer visits no solution . Im told software by april 2022 may be the issue. I have learned that if Generator will turn on the ground fault happens if truck gets wet. Rain or snow .even wet roads w tires kicking up moisture. Once it faults it cant be reset and i clearly see it resets on its own after being dry for 24 to 48 hours .this tells me a connection is not secure . I can repeatedly make the fault occur by taking truck to car wash . Every time . No fault on way in . Zeconds after driving in to car wash the ground fault occurs and will reset a couple days later presumably as water evaporates.
Returning with this info to dealer to ask again to check connections for improper seal .
No software fails because it gets wet!!!!
Ford marketing said they might look into it but couldnt let me talk to an engineer .
Im out 73thousand plus tax and cant use generator with any reliability. Makes me unlikely to ever buy any ford again .
Look into the lemon laws in your state. This is a major system of the truck that significantly affects the intended use of the vehicle. This is what the lemon laws are written for. The law may give you some leverage in dealing with Ford and the dealership. In my state you have to send a certified letter to Ford notifying them of the issue and providing them with 90 days to repair.

OP
OP
DMuiser

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Ford dealers put head in sand on this because its manufacturing flaw . Ford company has abandoned many of us . I will sue Ford to compensate my loss .checked trade in value already .id lose over 15,000 even after only a few months with this lemon of a truck .should have kept my expedition with 108,000 miles. Last ford ever for me if they dont fix or buy back or replace this thing .
Any luck? We had some nice weather and it didn’t happen.in mine for awhile but wet and stormy again here and ground fault has been happening again the past few days

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any luck? We had some nice weather and it didn’t happen.in mine for awhile but wet and stormy again here and ground fault has been happening again the past few days
Bringing it in friday for another try to check circuits

louism383

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 pb
Occupation
Iuoe 158
half of my day i was in my truck with the ground fault message popping up. This evening i checked my fusebox under the hood. I pushed in every single fuse and none of them were fully seated. Since doing that the message has not come back up, I can turn on the generator and actually perform the test function and reset it. Now my fingers are crossed as to that being the cure. I still have another service appointment for Thursday will keep you guys updated if anything changes

louism383

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 pb
Occupation
Iuoe 158
Bringing it in friday for another try to check circuits
yesterday while the roads were dry the generator worked fine and the error message didn’t pop up. Went to the car wash and while i was in it then message popped once. When i got home it was fully functional again. Brought my truck in today for them to check out again and was told they couldn’t find anything and handed me another service bulletin for the software update in April. This evening the roads were wet and the message popped again but i have function of the generator. Idk what to think at this point

Sponsored

OP
OP
DMuiser

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I guess we wait for update in April and see if it fixes it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 GMC Sierra, 3500HD
half of my day i was in my truck with the ground fault message popping up. This evening i checked my fusebox under the hood. I pushed in every single fuse and none of them were fully seated. Since doing that the message has not come back up, I can turn on the generator and actually perform the test function and reset it. Now my fingers are crossed as to that being the cure. I still have another service appointment for Thursday will keep you guys updated if anything changes
I pickup my powerboost up this Saturday and on my checklist is to push on all the fuses both in cab and under the hood. Will be driving truck back from Iowa to Texas.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yesterday while the roads were dry the generator worked fine and the error message didn’t pop up. Went to the car wash and while i was in it then message popped once. When i got home it was fully functional again. Brought my truck in today for them to check out again and was told they couldn’t find anything and handed me another service bulletin for the software update in April. This evening the roads were wet and the message popped again but i have function of the generator. Idk what to think at this point
When mine has fault and turns off the i side dash plug wont work but have not plugged into bed . The inside is used to charge laptop .
Do you mean your bed plugs are working even though the error message says system off ?

louism383

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 pb
Occupation
Iuoe 158
when the message pops up on its own none of the plugs work. When i do get it to work i can use any of the plugs.
Sponsored