Sponsored

dogboye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Connected to a bonded panel via 3 wires is all it needs. Beyond that point is where the power is utilized, and beyond that point it's got an earthed 4 wire system with a bonded neutral. The earth ground is alive and offering its 'as normal' protection. The truck is monitoring its chassis, if any current shows up on it (as in touch electrocution protection), it trips, if the cord from the truck is cut somehow, it trips. Power from the panel its connected to w/ GFI / AFI protections functions 100% as it should.
This is the part that makes me comfortable with removing the ground from the plug going from the truck to the panel. The house panel is still grounded. The only thing that might make it dangerous in my specific case, it seems to me, would be if the generator panel, which can be isolated from the main panel, did not have a ground. But if that is the case, it seems I would always be in danger when the house is powered through ONLY the generator panel (during a power outage). Since it gets isolated from the main, if there wasn't a ground on the gen panel, there would always be the chance of a problem. But I don't think that would make sense to have the house wired that way. But I'm obviously not an electrician, nor an electrical engineer.
Sponsored

Last edited: