Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
For those who are unsure or just do not want to ask I have posted this in a thread but I feel it is thread worthy

What you really need to do:

Find a dealership you trust and want to do business with.

Get them to spec one out for you, that is they build with hope of selling you one.

Ask to see the complete paper, it will have many numbers on it but you are most interested in
  1. MSRP window sticker
  2. Invoice
  3. A term called holdback
  4. Also has x plan price if you are eligible.
At that point take the invoice number
- subtract $1,000 from it
- subtract any applicable rebates ask what they are with your zip code. May be none but at least ask.

That is the starting place

You can say that is what I will pay for the truck.. yes it is fair when both sides have all the information.

Work out the deal and when you come to an accord then NEXT
Notes: No they will not be making tons of money on you...​
They get to keep a local valued service customer​
A skinny front end deal is better than no deal at all..​

Be prepared to wander out the door if necessary and keep a copy of the order for reference, it is not a closely held secret eyes only document...all dealers have it.

When the price is agreed upon on the truck...

NEXT

The trade in ( I usually retail mine on the open market to minimize loss but it is not always advatageous.)

If you have one do your diligent some homework first

Shop it on Carvan​
If you have a Carmax close go there as well for a value...​
You will know the ACV (actual cash value) of the trade that will be at or below what a dealership of like product would give for it...​

I am not into padding the numbers to "trade value" as they are fraught with danger for you...

The only thing that matters is the trade difference the actual $ you have to pay out of pocket for the vehicle.

Yes I have heard XYZ did not give the discount but gave me 3k more for my trade, well where did they get it (oh from the discount that they did not give)

When you have agreed to a trade difference between the sale price and the trade in then you can begin paperwork with sigs on both ends (you and the Dealership)

Remember with a trade there are 2 transactions you selling a car to the dealer and the dealer selling you a car...

They are not doing you a favor by taking the old one off your hands.

BTW Side note any Car salepeople/managers here that do not like what I post go tell your manager/owner.

I do not care about how you feel about it! So no PMS telling me so..

I successfully peddled iron and managed parts of this store for 30+ years..

I realize that is is a simplification but the outline is what is important.
Sponsored

smoke

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram, vette, 150
Can you just order me one under these terms and have it sent to Texas instead of Iowa?

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
That is not usually a viable option. The dealership in Texas might want the sale and not want to deliver a truck that you bought elsewhere...

It is called a courtesy delivery and is used by fleet accounts to rental agencies all over the nation..

Have you checked with the local dealer to inquire about purchasing a truck for $1000 under invoice?

They may do it to earn your business..

Golf17

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremmaaahhh
Occupation
Pilot
@Granger. Have another question for you! I just read that if you buy 100 shares of Ford and show proof of it for 6 months you can get an x pin for the the x plan pricing. Is that worth it in your opinion or is that x plan pricing something that most dealers will come down to Anyways?My time frame for buying a 21 F-150 is early next year so in theory I could buy that stock tomorrow and wait the 6 months before ordering. I also have access to a perk spot employee discount program Powered by true car. Im guessing that may be a bunch of garbage though...thanks!

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
@Granger. Have another question for you! I just read that if you buy 100 shares of Ford and show proof of it for 6 months you can get an x pin for the the x plan pricing. Is that worth it in your opinion or is that x plan pricing something that most dealers will come down to Anyways?My time frame for buying a 21 F-150 is early next year so in theory I could buy that stock tomorrow and wait the 6 months before ordering. I also have access to a perk spot employee discount program Powered by true car. Im guessing that may be a bunch of garbage though...thanks!
X plan helps the people who live in areas that do not discount from msrp (window sticker) we sell the F-150 at $1000 below invoice so that is much better than x plan pricing...

Most dealerships will get there in pricing eventually like what you are seeing on the 2020's sans the rebates.

Sponsored

Bakins12

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,Mustang,Fusion
Occupation
Engineer
You can also get the X plan pricing by joining the Mustang Club of America ($35.00/yr)

kiwidave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev SS
@Granger Ford ,
having some discussion with the local dealer about whether the hybrids are going to count against allocation? I thought retail sales are retail sales? And insight? Basically a pricing negotation but would be great to understand if that’s really something to consider

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
@Granger Ford ,
having some discussion with the local dealer about whether the hybrids are going to count against allocation? I thought retail sales are retail sales? And insight? Basically a pricing negotation but would be great to understand if that’s really something to consider
It is a retail sale, so processed as such, not sure why allocation would be a problem as the truck is a sold vehicle and delivering as soon as it arrives...

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am still debating between ordering one before they are released or waiting to see them in person first, and ordering mine specific specs on January/ February 2021. Would it be cool for me to request an appointment and having the dealership show me the exact expected MSRP, and rebates, ect without planning to order it before hand? I WILL buy it from this dealership be it now or next year in any case. However, it would be my first purchase with them.

I NEEEED a f150

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX 2014
@Granger Ford thank you for being such a great resource and demystifying much of the process for us.

I plan on buying a truck in the spring. Do you think once dealers build up some inventory there will be deals better than $1,000 under invoice? Or is $1,000 under invoice pretty good at any point during the lifecycle of a model year. I would think a buyer would have a little more leverage if the truck is sitting on the lot already.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
@ZWARRIOR & @I NEEEED a f150

David:

Would it be cool for me to request an appointment and having the dealership show me the exact expected MSRP, and rebates, ect without planning to order it before hand?

You should be able to get them to give you all of the information you are needing when you go in to look at a live one...
As for pricing I would see how low they will go on it...
Let them know that you have an offer of $1000 below invoice plus any applicable rebates and let them take it from there...

Do not pay MSRP for the truck even in California that is too much there will be dealerships that will work with you for pricing once they have hit the lots...

Brett:

First of all thank you for the kind words

Do you think once dealers build up some inventory there will be deals better than $1,000 under invoice?

That should be the norm, at least it is for the stores in our area...
I would rather order one and have it delivered immediately, if they sit on the lot there is interest (money kind) that builds up on the vehicle for not selling fast...
That is why we like to turn and burn the inventory...

Or is $1,000 under invoice pretty good at any point during the lifecycle of a model year.

It is a starting point, when rebates hit and the end of model year is on us, then the aggression increases to move the trucks...

I would think a buyer would have a little more leverage if the truck is sitting on the lot already.

Not as much unless it is EOM and they need some sales to hit goals...

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
The order and getting the truck is the easy part the getting it to California is the hard part, unless you want to fly in and drive it home...

If you are interested DM me....
Sponsored