First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 now, 2023 on order
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
Just got my 23 PB last week. I want to install a GPS tracker for anti theft hidden in the truck.
they tried to take my previous truck from my driveway. I’ve relocated my horn already.
Anyway, I’m thinking of putting it behind rear seat. Or somewhere hidden where I have 12V from the battery always. Can anyone steer me in that direction please ?
It’s the “ Carlock” brand. Normally plugs into OBD2, but I have the adapter to just connect to 12V.
thanks
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I don't know if you've fully explored the FordPass app yet. But under maps you are able to locate your truck at any time anywhere in the world.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I don't know if you've fully explored the FordPass app yet. But under maps you are able to locate your truck at any time anywhere in the world.
This!

And if I wanted an extra layer of protection, I’d hide an air tag in the truck somewhere as well before I investigated more expensive options.

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Supercrew XLT 302A
Based on where he's at, the thieves going after his truck will have disabled Fordpass by the end of his street and ripped out the TCU power plug by the time they get out of his neighborhood.

Law Enforcement has a form they can fill out to send to Ford to locate a vehicle in specific circumstances (emergent, missing, Amber Alert, stolen, etc) but that relies on the TCU being active.

OP
OP

YYZ F150

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 now, 2023 on order
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
I have used Fordpass. It’s ok… sometimes won’t locate the truck when I’m only a few kms away.
the Carlock device alerts my phone for a sudden vibration (broken glass or door? )
Vehicle start & vehicle moving; anytime the device isn’t disarmed. It goes off like an Amber Alert so it will wake me up.
it normally plugs in to the OBD2 port but I want to hide it somewhere so it won’t get disabled.
it continues to send GPS location for 20 minutes after losing power.
Can I tap into the Auxiliary Battery behind the rear seat? Without creating problems?
Or is there another 12V constant source behind rear seat?
Thanks

Sponsored

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have used Fordpass. It’s ok… sometimes won’t locate the truck when I’m only a few kms away.
the Carlock device alerts my phone for a sudden vibration (broken glass or door? )
Vehicle start & vehicle moving; anytime the device isn’t disarmed. It goes off like an Amber Alert so it will wake me up.
it normally plugs in to the OBD2 port but I want to hide it somewhere so it won’t get disabled.
it continues to send GPS location for 20 minutes after losing power.
Can I tap into the Auxiliary Battery behind the rear seat? Without creating problems?
Or is there another 12V constant source behind rear seat?
Thanks
Have you considered a dummy OBD port connector? They're fairly popular in the UK. Splits your OBD connection into a powered dummy that goes where your existing port is, and a live port that you stick up behind your dash? You can run your attachment there and the thieves trying to hit your OBD port will just think your car isn't communicating and move onto the next.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Based on where he's at, the thieves going after his truck will have disabled Fordpass by the end of his street and ripped out the TCU power plug by the time they get out of his neighborhood.
So..."Stay the heck away from Toronto" is how I'm interpreting this!

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So..."Stay the heck away from Toronto" is how I'm interpreting this!
Totally 👍.

I'm just east of Toronto and neighbors truck was taken 2 weeks ago. Have the guys on camera. Took them less than 5 minutes in his driveway to gain access and drive away including disabling tracking. Cops have been warning our neighborhood to keeps keys away from front door. Our area has been hit multiple times in last yr, finding some of the vehicle in cargo container in Kingston and Quebec. I keep a Tile hidden and then have Tiles in my packouts that stay in bed. I pay enough for insurance, that is about as much as I'm going to do. Canada used to have LoJack that I had installed in other vehicles, but no longer available, this was just one time fee, not subscription based.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Totally 👍.

I'm just east of Toronto and neighbors truck was taken 2 weeks ago. Have the guys on camera. Took them less than 5 minutes in his driveway to gain access and drive away including disabling tracking. Cops have been warning our neighborhood to keeps keys away from front door. Our area has been hit multiple times in last yr, finding some of the vehicle in cargo container in Kingston and Quebec. I keep a Tile hidden and then have Tiles in my packouts that stay in bed. I pay enough for insurance, that is about as much as I'm going to do. Canada used to have LoJack that I had installed in other vehicles, but no longer available, this was just one time fee, not subscription based.
Sounds like they are using an antenna in a backpack to capture the remote signal from the key fob then relaying it to the truck to open and start. Get a faraday box off Amazon for $30 and enjoy the cheap insurance.

Video of similar occurrence.

Also can consider adding a kill switch or dead switch so the truck won’t start unless that is toggled. There are a few threads on this forum detailing “how to”.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Sounds like they are using an antenna in a backpack to capture the remote signal from the key fob then relaying it to the truck to open and start. Get a faraday box off Amazon for $30 and enjoy the cheap insurance.

Also can consider adding a kill switch or dead switch so the truck won’t start unless that is toggled. There are a few threads on this forum detailing “how to”.
That is really depressingly easy. My keys aren't normally kept near the front door, but I don't really know how strong that antenna is, so it's difficult to know how much risk I'm truly in.

Sponsored

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is really depressingly easy. My keys aren't normally kept near the front door, but I don't really know how strong that antenna is, so it's difficult to know how much risk I'm truly in.
Good (bad) news is that relay attacks are falling out of favour compared to programming blank keys through the OBD port. Late 13th gen F150s and (especially) current Ram 1500s are bad for that. 14th gen seems to be doing well in comparison.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Key fobs as currently implemented are a HORRIBLE idea. It's "security through obscurity": once bad actors know where to look, everything is in plain view. RF signals aren't inherently terrible, but you can't broadcast the secret key all the time and call that "secure".

The fix is a phone app or key fob that requires a fingerprint scan or PIN to broadcast the code. While a thief could try to sneak up on you while you're unlocking the vehicle, it is MUCH harder to achieve.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
Just got my 23 PB last week. I want to install a GPS tracker for anti theft hidden in the truck.
they tried to take my previous truck from my driveway. I’ve relocated my horn already.
Anyway, I’m thinking of putting it behind rear seat. Or somewhere hidden where I have 12V from the battery always. Can anyone steer me in that direction please ?
It’s the “ Carlock” brand. Normally plugs into OBD2, but I have the adapter to just connect to 12V.
thanks
Can you help others identify the horn wires pros are cutting if you moved yours or the horn?

I installed the Ravelco kill switch on the PB with confidence it will remain un taken unless towed.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure

www.ravelco.com solves this problem and was only $500 at your house to be wired in in the states

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Do not under any circumstances think that fordpass is a GPS tracker. The first thing 'smart' thieves do is kill remote access in the APIM which is as simple as a couple options. Ford is terrible in actually providing reliable security options to customers ... but they can waste time and money submitting a patent for self-repo of self-driving vehicles.

As for a great hiding spot of a GPS tracker -- put it into one of the seats. Lots of extra room in the driver's seat back with always-on power. Very stealth.
Sponsored