• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Gonna wait for 2nd generation

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
So looking at the planned production numbers, and when I placed my reservation, I doubt realistically that I’ll be seeing an actual truck until 2023 at earliest and with usual delays more like 2024. The second gen Lightning is supposed to be model year 2025. By then hoping for big breakthroughs in range, solid state batteries, faster charging, maybe even cheaper. Doesn’t seem to make sense to drop $70k on a vehicle that’ll be better and improved one year later. So I’m going to defer and see how the early adopters make out, sit on my jealousy for a couple of years, and check out Gen 2. Unless more EV truck options to explore by then.......
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
My exact plan as well. I was very happy to see they released the rough timeframe for a refresh in that announcement.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So looking at the planned production numbers, and when I placed my reservation, I doubt realistically that I’ll be seeing an actual truck until 2023 at earliest and with usual delays more like 2024. The second gen Lightning is supposed to be model year 2025. By then hoping for big breakthroughs in range, solid state batteries, faster charging, maybe even cheaper. Doesn’t seem to make sense to drop $70k on a vehicle that’ll be better and improved one year later. So I’m going to defer and see how the early adopters make out, sit on my jealousy for a couple of years, and check out Gen 2. Unless more EV truck options to explore by then.......
When did you reserve?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ok that's fine. The sooner people who are not going to actually purchase the truck drop their reservations then the better idea Ford has of how many they will actually sell.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I decided to just get the pro @ 40k, it's a great deal now and will likely still be a solid Truck the future if you don't need the extra range which I don't.

The higher the trim, the worse the f150 lightning looks to me. The truck gets too expensive for the features, especially the 150kw charging.

If I wanted to spend money now, I would get the Rivian it's a much better deal at it's price than a comparable trim f150.

I do have a Rivian reserved, but not looking like I would get a chance to buy it until mid 2023.... I'm a 15 minute f150 reservation, so I should have a good shot at getting the truck by mid next year.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I decided to just get the pro @ 40k, it's a great deal now and will likely still be a solid Truck the future if you don't need the extra range which I don't.

The higher the trim, the worse the f150 lightning looks to me. The truck gets too expensive for the features, especially the 150kw charging.

If I wanted to spend money now, I would get the Rivian it's a much better deal at it's price than a comparable trim f150.

I do have a Rivian reserved, but not looking like I would get a chance to buy it until mid 2023.... I'm a 15 minute f150 reservation, so I should have a good shot at getting the truck by mid next year.
The Rivian is a great looking truck and I would love to own one, but the bed is too small for what I need. I coach a robots team and have to haul lots of bulky items around to team meetings (we don't have a location we can stay set up in) and competitions. F150 short bed barely works.

Edit: Typo fix

Last edited:

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
I’m planning to do the same thing. The 2nd gen Lightning is planned to be introduced much sooner than you think. Which leads me to believe that a MUCH BETTER Lightning will be sold. Ford is only reacting to the Tesla Cybertruck and only wants the recognition of being the 1st EV pickup to market.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Take it from me....that's wise. The supply chain needs to catch up if there are issues with these trucks.

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Yup I'm waiting. Super short bed and lack of pro extended range kills it for me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think of all the reason I'm hesitant to buy a Tesla and it's magnified with Rivian. There's no guarantee the company will even exist in 5 years.

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
The Rivian is a great looking truck and I would love to own one, but the bed is too small for what I need. If you want coach a robots team and have to haul lots of bulky items around to team meetings (we don't have a location we can stay set up in) and competitions. F150 short bed barely works.

Definitely an issue for people who regularly haul stuff. As a hobbyist woodworker, the rivian is more of an ideal truck size, and it's wide enough to fit a sheet of plywood flat in the bed with tailgate down it's not a lot of overhang.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I was able to get my reservation in during the initial Lightning introduction, so I feel safe that I’ll be getting one next year. But if I were in your boat, I’d probably do the same thing.

As it is, I’m planning to lease my Lightning. Then I’ll get the gen 2 when my lease is up.

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
The second gen Lightning is supposed to be model year 2025.
Small distinction (and open to interpretation), but based on the wording that the 2nd gen would be available in late 2025, it's probably a 2026 model year. Your same point still applies though that a 2nd gen might be available a year or so after you could get your 1st gen.

I've never been one to lease vehicles, but I'll at least look at the numbers when it comes time to get my Lightning. My reservation should be early enough to be in the first 15,000 (so 2022MY), assuming they can hit that target for vehicles delivered next year. The timing might be good for a 36 month lease and then switch it out for a brand new 2nd gen.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Small distinction (and open to interpretation), but based on the wording that the 2nd gen would be available in late 2025, it's probably a 2026 model year. Your same point still applies though that a 2nd gen might be available a year or so after you could get your 1st gen.

I've never been one to lease vehicles, but I'll at least look at the numbers when it comes time to get my Lightning. My reservation should be early enough to be in the first 15,000 (so 2022MY), assuming they can hit that target for vehicles delivered next year. The timing might be good for a 36 month lease and then switch it out for a brand new 2nd gen.
I've never leased before either but I'm going to probably lease this because it will have somewhat lower payments. Also in 3 years if the range is not meeting my needs then I can walk away and trade up if the value has dropped. Or, if it's working well for me I can buy it and keep driving it for as long as possible.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’d suggest just leaving your reservation in place depending on where you are. It’s possible Ford could move reservations to the 2nd gen if they have not filled all 1st gen Reservations
Sponsored

Last edited: