First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I've never owned a pick up truck before. Can you put it through an automatic car wash? Does it matter if you have a tonneau? Thanks
Took my KR with tow mirrors thru a touch less yesterday. It was a tight fit, but had no issues. My Retrax XR had a minor leak at the tailgate, but nothing I feel compelled to do anything about here in AZ. The one troubling concern was the PVD wheel finish. I just bought a new soft boars hair brush to clean the wheels with and I always spray them with wheel cleaner and give them a quick brush prior to going into the wash. When I wiped them dry I noticed they had fine scratches from the brush? I've never seen wheels with such a delicate finish. One might say the finish is defective?
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ford has a tailgate seal https://accessories.ford.com/weatherstrip.html but you can get other brands also from most truck accessory shops. You can even do it your self with foam weather stripping
I'm talking about the "top" of the tailgate where it meets the tonneau. The edges of the tail step leave two small gaps. That's where rain came in on me. I haven't done the carwash yet but I would expect the sides of the tailgate to leak without the seal for sure.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Took my KR with tow mirrors thru a touch less yesterday. It was a tight fit, but had no issues. My Retrax XR had a minor leak at the tailgate, but nothing I feel compelled to do anything about here in AZ. The one troubling concern was the PVD wheel finish. I just bought a new soft boars hair brush to clean the wheels with and I always spray them with wheel cleaner and give them a quick brush prior to going into the wash. When I wiped them dry I noticed they had fine scratches from the brush? I've never seen wheels with such a delicate finish. One might say the finish is defective?
they are painted with clearcoat use the same thing you would use on the painted body

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
What about power tow mirrors? I am thinking I would fold them for any wash because I don't want them broken. But maybe they are built to withstand? Has anyone risked leaving the tow mirrors unfolded (not telescoped, obviously)?
I go through an automatic car wash almost everyday(membership) and I fold my mirrors in before every wash.

I didn’t always do that but after about a year the passenger side mirror(glass and plastic it’s attached to only) decided to fall off and shatter.
Bought an oem replacement glass piece for about $50-60 and fold them in now. Always.

This is in reference to my 2018 XLT with regular mirrors, not the tow variation.

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I'm talking about the "top" of the tailgate where it meets the tonneau. The edges of the tail step leave two small gaps. That's where rain came in on me. I haven't done the carwash yet but I would expect the sides of the tailgate to leak without the seal for sure.
Yes on mine that does not cause a big leak I think most of the water runs in side the tailgate. No mater what you do it will never be 100% waterproof by the tailgate, a few drips are not a big deal to me

Ford F-150 Going through a car wash thumbnail_20210404_110156_resized

Sponsored

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 XLT SPORT
Occupation
Firefighter
I've never owned a pick up truck before. Can you put it through an automatic car wash? Does it matter if you have a tonneau? Thanks
Make sure you turn off your auto hold

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Never go through a car wash down South. Do it all myself. When I lived in Michigan - during the winter my truck almost lived @ the car wash. Had to clean @ every opportunity I had. Michigan = "SALT"

Last edited:

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Never go through a car wash down South. Do it all myself. When I lived in Michigan - during the winter my truck almost lived @ the car was evry opportunity I could. "SALT"
Yes up here between the salt and the anti-icing spray they put on the roads, my black truck gets white very fast. I make alot of trips through the cash wash in the winter...with my tow mirror extended...

JakeFlorida

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 5.0L, 4x4, Max Tow, 2 tone paint
I prefer to not use the car wash if I can avoid it. However, a truck is too big to hand wash so I started using the foam cannon with good results.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I prefer to not use the car wash if I can avoid it. However, a truck is too big to hand wash so I started using the foam cannon with good results.
While I lived in Florida for almost 30 years, I never used an automatic car wash of any sort on anything I owned. Hand washed 100% of the time. Impossible / impractical up in Michigan. I don't like using them but they're a necessary evil. In Florida it was unusual for me to go more than a day without washing my daily driver. I won't leave the house for the day without showering and brushing my teeth, I won't drive a dirty vehicle if possible for the same reason. It's an extension of me and I hate to be seen looking like a slob.

Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I use an automatic car wash at the dealership about once a week. They give you free lifetime washes when you buy from them. I always fold in the mirrors and I have a stubby antenna. I do have a bed cover and it causes no problems

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I take my truck through the wash all the time especially to get the salt off in the winter. It is a touchless wash with underspray and works great. I always leave my power trailer mirrors out and put down my power running boards manually to get them cleaned off. I have a trifold cover and some times a little water will leak in but nothing serious. I have been taking them through for years and never had an issue
To piggy back on JGS' reply, the carwash that I use is not touchless, I don't remove the stock antenna, the porters fold the mirrors in before they put it through and my Xtang full tilt tonneau keeps my tools dry during the weekly trip to the carwash as well as the wash machine at the dealer

Ford F-150 Going through a car wash IMG_9470

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Since moving to Michigan from Florida, I've had to use drive through car washes for nearly 5 months a year. I'm not crazy about the touchless type. I think they are harder on paint because of the soaps/cleaners they use have to be more caustic and the pressures are higher. I use a brush/flap type that literally slathers the truck with soap before anything touches it. Yes, I had to take the Porter Cable to my Ram last year and I fully expect to use it on the F150, even though it'll just be 2 months of auto washes. I did get a short antenna so that I didn't have to remember to remove the long factory one.
I’ve seen the Porter Cable referred to a few times on here for washing. What is it, and what does it do?

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Worker of lead
How are you sealing the 2 gaps the tail step leaves? I have ideas but may just leave it
I use armorcell foam tape (I use it for work but I'm sure you can find it at the big box stores) under the edges of the tailgate step, and extang tailgate seal on the bottom of the tailgate and cut off pieces of the seal in the gap where the gate meets the body and the tonneau .
https://www.armacell.us/products/armaflexinsulationtape/
https://extang.com/maxseal-tailgate-seal
Sponsored