Sponsored

Going through a car wash

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I've never owned a pick up truck before. Can you put it through an automatic car wash? Does it matter if you have a tonneau? Thanks
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If it's a car wash with brushes, take off the antenna. I'd recommend not using an auto wash that uses brushes to avoid scratches and scuffs in the paint. A touchless car wash you should be fine as long as the truck isn't too tall.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Since moving to Michigan from Florida, I've had to use drive through car washes for nearly 5 months a year. I'm not crazy about the touchless type. I think they are harder on paint because of the soaps/cleaners they use have to be more caustic and the pressures are higher. I use a brush/flap type that literally slathers the truck with soap before anything touches it. Yes, I had to take the Porter Cable to my Ram last year and I fully expect to use it on the F150, even though it'll just be 2 months of auto washes. I did get a short antenna so that I didn't have to remember to remove the long factory one.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What about power tow mirrors? I am thinking I would fold them for any wash because I don't want them broken. But maybe they are built to withstand? Has anyone risked leaving the tow mirrors unfolded (not telescoped, obviously)?

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Even though I don't have my truck yet it's why I ordered the power running boards, was concerned the non power type would not be able to go through a car wash without getting damaged.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Even though I don't have my truck yet it's why I ordered the power running boards, was concerned the non power type would not be able to go through a car wash without getting damaged.
The non powered running boards have no problem getting through a car wash.

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I take my truck through the wash all the time especially to get the salt off in the winter. It is a touchless wash with underspray and works great. I always leave my power trailer mirrors out and put down my power running boards manually to get them cleaned off. I have a trifold cover and some times a little water will leak in but nothing serious. I have been taking them through for years and never had an issue

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I take my truck through the wash all the time especially to get the salt off in the winter. It is a touchless wash with underspray and works great. I always leave my power trailer mirrors out and put down my power running boards manually to get them cleaned off. I have a trifold cover and some times a little water will leak in but nothing serious. I have been taking them through for years and never had an issue
Good to hear! I have no worried about the power boards, or all kinds of trucks with stationary boards would have issues. But that is encouraging on mirrors. I also will use the car wash as my tonneau test for water resistance.

OP
OP

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
What trifold do you have? The fact that you can make it through an entire car wash and only leak a little bit is impressive

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
It is the Undercover Armourflex I had it on my 2019 and put it on my 2021. The only problem is the water does leak in around the tailgate a litlle bit. I am going to try and get a seal for the tailgate but did not get it yet,
Good to hear! I have no worried about the power boards, or all kinds of trucks with stationary boards would have issues. But that is encouraging on mirrors. I also will use the car wash as my tonneau test for water resistance.
Yes it is a good test for your cover...you will get some coming in from the tailgate unless you have it sealed

Sponsored

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The non powered running boards have no problem getting through a car wash.
Good to know but I also don't really like the look of running boards so the power boards should stay hidden til needed ;)

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I've never owned a pick up truck before. Can you put it through an automatic car wash? Does it matter if you have a tonneau? Thanks
Just had mine in touchless this pass week, had to turn in my mirrors but if you have reg mirror you be fine.

Ford F-150 Going through a car wash IMG_20210301_1314010

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It is the Undercover Armourflex I had it on my 2019 and put it on my 2021. The only problem is the water does leak in around the tailgate a litlle bit. I am going to try and get a seal for the tailgate but did not get it yet,

Yes it is a good test for your cover...you will get some coming in from the tailgate unless you have it sealed
How are you sealing the 2 gaps the tail step leaves? I have ideas but may just leave it

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
I live down south, so have the option to wash at home. I’m trying to avoid car washes at all costs, especially since I’ve moved from a white truck to a darker color. But having lived up north before, I understood they can be a necessity. Find one you trust and stick with it.
Sponsored