Sponsored

Glare Free Lighting part of the adaptive lights?

Jeremiah164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost; 2017 Ford Fusion
In the owner's manual I found a section called "Glare Free Lighting" (page 131) it looks like the high-beams that stay on but only dim the lights where the oncoming car is. I thought this was only available in Europe due to an antiquated NHTSA rule.

Does anyone know if it's part of the adaptive lights or not? I'm ordering a Lariat 502a high with the adaptive lights and was wondering if the glare free lighting came with them.
Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
I can't say for sure, but every Ford I've owned since 2014 has had that feature.

It's not so much that the high beams stay on and dim when oncoming traffic appears, but its more the computer automatically turns on high-beams when there is no oncoming traffic and turns them off when it detects oncoming headlights. I suppose there is some hardware needed for the feature, so perhaps it's not on the base models, but it should be a standard feature on a lower trim. At least, that is what I would guess.

Sorry I can't personally be of more help, but hope someone can give us more clarity here!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Here is a quick video showing you how that feature works.

Given that you are ordering a 502A Lariat, it comes equipped with the Dual Projector Headlamps which is the top tier headlight for the 2021 F-150. As a result, it should definitely have this feature.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I have a 21 KR and they do not have Glare Free lights. As the OP stated, I do not think they are legal in the U.S. When they were "available" on BMW you could not get them in the U.S. The high end lights on F15os in the U.S. are "Bending". They move as you turn the wheel. I believe they are also self leveling.

OP
OP
Jeremiah164

Jeremiah164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't say for sure, but every Ford I've owned since 2014 has had that feature.

It's not so much that the high beams stay on and dim when oncoming traffic appears, but its more the computer automatically turns on high-beams when there is no oncoming traffic and turns them off when it detects oncoming headlights. I suppose there is some hardware needed for the feature, so perhaps it's not on the base models, but it should be a standard feature on a lower trim. At least, that is what I would guess.

Sorry I can't personally be of more help, but hope someone can give us more clarity here!
Thanks for replying, these lights are a little different than the auto-highbeams, the posts further down clarify. It doesn't actually turn the highbeams all the way off, just tracks the oncoming car and dims them where it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeremiah164

Jeremiah164

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 21 KR and they do not have Glare Free lights. As the OP stated, I do not think they are legal in the U.S. When they were "available" on BMW you could not get them in the U.S. The high end lights on F15os in the U.S. are "Bending". They move as you turn the wheel. I believe they are also self leveling.
I did a bit more digging and it looks like in 2020 new regulations came into effect here in Canada that allow dynamic lighting. It's making me think that Ford actually put it into these trucks.

The next thought is if they're only making 1 headlight design for both the USA & Canada then it might be built into all the trucks but disabled by software in the US, which means if dynamic lighting is made legal they could add it with OTA updates. Or someone might be able to hack it with forscan for you guys.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
On mine, it has the self leveling feature like our old Lexus. It has the same type of sensors on the rear axle. You can see the lights initialize when you start the truck up.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Thanks for replying, these lights are a little different than the auto-highbeams, the posts further down clarify. It doesn't actually turn the highbeams all the way off, just tracks the oncoming car and dims them where it is.
I stand corrected. I agree with BMWtoF150. I remember when Audi came out with a system similar in the A8, maybe in 2012 or 2013? Everyone was bummed that that feature wouldn’t make it into the states because of our laws. Doubt anything has changed on that front.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Back when I drove BMWs and followed the forums for them some of the guys used software similar to Forscan to hack the software and get it to work. With that said, the LEDS head lights in the upper F150s may be capable of this feature if programed correctly.

Dybalr

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 platinum
Back when I drove BMWs and followed the forums for them some of the guys used software similar to Forscan to hack the software and get it to work. With that said, the LEDS head lights in the upper F150s may be capable of this feature if programed correctly.
So I got into FORScan today. I think I figured out how to turn on the glare free lights “behind the scenes”. Meaning it’s coded to have this option, but the menu doesn’t change to match what the (lucky) Canadian trucks show. I just need to wait for the sun to go down tonight to test it.
The auto high beam symbol on the instrument cluster changed from a white symbol to a green one. I’ll post photos after my test for everyone.

Sponsored

JFR0317

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 PowerBoost
So I got into FORScan today. I think I figured out how to turn on the glare free lights “behind the scenes”. Meaning it’s coded to have this option, but the menu doesn’t change to match what the (lucky) Canadian trucks show. I just need to wait for the sun to go down tonight to test it.
The auto high beam symbol on the instrument cluster changed from a white symbol to a green one. I’ll post photos after my test for everyone.
Please let us know how it goes and, if successful, what you needed to do in Forscan. Thanks very much!

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Do you have to have the LED headlights that bend ( 502A and up) to hack this or do all the LED's do it?

Dybalr

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 platinum
Please let us know how it goes and, if successful, what you needed to do in Forscan. Thanks very much!
So this doesn’t appear to have worked. There were a number of other features I “enabled” that don’t seem to have worked either. I imagine as time goes on forscan will update and we will be able to get this too work.
Sponsored