Getting rid of a tailgate cable?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
I'm designing a slide out camp kitchen for my truck bed. It's been a pain to design around the tailgate cable on one side. I'd like to have a shelf or drawer slide out from the kitchen close to the bed, but the cable would get in the way.

I'm wondering what the consequences would be if I just got rid of the cable on that side.

Is there an alternative that would serve the same purpose, but not get in the way? I see tailgate assist supports like this, but they all seem to use both the support and the cables.
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would think that without the cable there is a chance of twisting the tailgate.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm designing a slide out camp kitchen for my truck bed. It's been a pain to design around the tailgate cable on one side. I'd like to have a shelf or drawer slide out from the kitchen close to the bed, but the cable would get in the way.

I'm wondering what the consequences would be if I just got rid of the cable on that side.

Is there an alternative that would serve the same purpose, but not get in the way? I see tailgate assist supports like this, but they all seem to use both the support and the cables.
Make that side of the tailgate attach to the bottom of the slide out kitchen. Unhook standard cable, deploy kitchen, attach. Perhaps a short clip or short cable would do the trick.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Make that side of the tailgate attach to the bottom of the slide out kitchen. Unhook standard cable, deploy kitchen, attach. Perhaps a short clip or short cable would do the trick.
Interesting idea. Maybe.
Sponsored