Getting new Transmission at 19k miles

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
A few weeks ago I noticed when going into D , it would take 3-4 seconds for things to engage and then a light clunk before i could press the Gas .
When going into reverse there was also 2 second delay and followed by a harder clunk. Then earlier this week I noticed the truck would not go into gears 1-3 unless i did it manually. Everything would start in 4th and some of the shifts were very slow. Fast forward to a couple days ago when I got the service engine light .
Now keep in mind this would only happen when things were warm. ( after driving for 20+ miles) So I finally had a chance to take it to dealer and just got the call that my truck needs a new Trans. Service is telling me it could be 2-3 weeks at very least . ( also how annoying is it when they have to get an approval from FORD for a rental car) Anytime my GMC Sierra had an issue , I would get rental no questions asked. This really annoys me Ford does this .

Anyway I know the 10 speed gets some hate/negativity but its odd cause my 2018 had zero issues up to 48K when I sold it.
This 2022 has only 19k mile so little odd and prior to these last few weeks, it was flawless. Keep in mind its been 100+ here in So cal for a month now.
Its a 3.5ECO and the 2018 was a 5.0 not that i think engine makes a difference. So the waiting game begins.
Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
That’s a bummer about the trans, does the dealership have their own loaner fleet or did you specifically request a car from a rental company? If they are looking into an actual rental for you for several weeks, I can understand why they would check with Ford to see they’re reimbursed prior to doing so as that expense shouldn’t fall in their lap any more than yours.

A used car with dealer plates to use for work & back……I would think they could deliver on something like that, but that would certainly depend on the dealer and how they run their business.

Anyway, good luck with the repairs!

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hear that, does the warranty cover the transmission replacement? I'm hoping to keep my truck for at least 200k miles or more. Is that wistful thinking?

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Bummer.

A new transmission entirely? Not trying to rebuild the original first? If so, that’s pretty impressive, Ford refused a replacement when I had a 6F35 go bad in a vehicle at 10k miles, insisted on a full rebuilt kit, which in the end isn’t a horrible option as then the VIN still matches. Kind of makes me wonder if the case cracked or another non-replaceable component is part of the issue.

As for your prior 2018 vs 2022 10R80, really it doesn’t make a huge difference, these sorts of early failures are usually (not always) indicative of an assembly fault rather than a design issue, design flaws common to a family tend to show up later as components wear. The vast majority of 10R80s are having no issues, just like when my 6F35 failed the vast majority of 6F35s had no issues, you just got unlikely and something got past QA this time around.

The rental/loaner situation is something a lot of folks coming from other automakers get frustrated by. Ford historically hasn’t been big on rental coverage and not a lot of their dealers have historically offered loaners, despite captive brand Lincoln doing so. It’s really something Ford should consider biting the bullet on, as it helps smooth out the frustration of having a vehicle down, and that is probably more valuable than using it to push extended warranties (as Ford‘s extended warranties cover rentals).

Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Mine was replaced at 10k, with similar symptoms. I had a loaner car for nearly a month while the dealer waited for parts from ford.

good luck!

OP
OP
9663mu

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Thanks for the support fellas. Sucks having to pay the truck payment and not having it .
It will be covered warranty which is great. My ford dealer stated they dont have any rentals ( who know if that means they are out or they just dont have any) either way I needed a truck so I just rented another F150 from a company called MIDWAY . It has to be a Ford , otherwise Ford wont cover the 40 dollars a day . He was upfront with me to let me know this could take a while( said possibly a month)
Anyway I love the 10 speed and not generalizing all of them as bad . When your making 1 million+ of these Transmissions per year, your bound to have some go bad here and there .

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Thanks for the support fellas. Sucks having to pay the truck payment and not having it .
It will be covered warranty which is great. My ford dealer stated they dont have any rentals ( who know if that means they are out or they just dont have any) either way I needed a truck so I just rented another F150 from a company called MIDWAY . It has to be a Ford , otherwise Ford wont cover the 40 dollars a day . He was upfront with me to let me know this could take a while( said possibly a month)
Anyway I love the 10 speed and not generalizing all of them as bad . When your making 1 million+ of these Transmissions per year, your bound to have some go bad here and there .
Good luck with the repairs! Check back in when it’s done to let us know what was wrong.

OP
OP
9663mu

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Update* Spoke to my service advisor today and he told me the transmission would be shipped out sometime next week .
Almost 3 weeks since I gave them my truck . Oh and no word on my back window motor/switch as he says its on national back order .

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
if you have ford ESP
you get a rental of your choosing, HOWEVER,,,,, if you rent a FORD you can get more re-imbursed
my folks just went through this with the maverick and ford paid everything but Tax on a POS mitssubishi outlander
if they had rented a ford it would have been 100%
funny its hard to find rental agencies here that have fords ..most have dodge or foreign

Sponsored

PPEng15

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
My wife's 2020 explorer st required a transmission replacement at 23k. It took about 3 weeks for the parts to come in. The dealer actually had the transmission before some of the other items they needed.
We did not get a loaner, so it is not uncommon. Dealership to dealership I guess. (She did not really need one so we did not push the issue)
Make sure that you pick it up and pay attention for any new noises.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
I don’t get the no loaner thing with Ford. My wife always gets a loaner at Lexus. Even if it’s just an oil change. She had a cam shaft issue on her RX and she got another new RX for three weeks. There is never a fee. I love my truck, but Ford is pretty bad about customer service. Lexus really knows how to do it. And yes, my truck was way more money then the Lexus.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i think its not there is a loaner problem or the ability to have customers get a loaner.
its a problem of LOANER vehicles available.. as in they dont have enough ready to use for customers
my dealer has 2
my old dealer a lincoln /ford place has 4 they are a hot commodity
maybe its the amount of things broken requiring fixing that is causing dealers to not have tons of loaners
even 2 is a high price as they are new vehicles .
not sure why they cant use a used car on the lot??? maybe reliability is the answer

my dealer will glady drive you home and come pick me up when car is ready ...except for service.
i am talking repairs

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Lexus has a lot of advantages over Ford for loaners.

Just the F150 alone is produced in staggering quantity compared to the entire Lexus line.

Not excusing Ford for being miles behind the customer service quality level of the luxury brands. But we Ford folks are already in shock over the price we pay for our pickup truck. Lol

Those Lexus loaners aren't any more free than Canadian Healthcare, if you know what I mean.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
I would agree with you Snake in the “old” days of $30k - $40k f150s, but that ‘s not the case these days. My Platinum was 20k more then my wife’s RX350. You are definitely right about the volume of vehicles sold though.
Sponsored