First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I was originally pretty set on an XLT, but after seeing the instrument cluster in the Lariat, and the nice leather, heated steering wheel among other things...I just felt like I if I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a truck I don't want to be thinking "man I should have just spent a little more to get the things I really want". But that's just me, I like shiny things and cool tech.
Same here. I knew I wanted CoPilot Assist, love the idea of cooled seats.
Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I should add a few more comments:

Powerboost is so worth it. I'll never go back to pure ICE. It's the future of trucks, and the side benefits of hybridization are items I enjoy every day and miss it when I drive other vehicles.

-Stop/Go traffic benefits greatly (Ice cold AC, saving gas instead of burning it over hot asphalt, quiet cabin)
-Hybrid Idle is fantastic for mobile office applications, which I've used multiple times. Hybrid Idle + hotspot + workspace = being able to work in Texas heat for hours if needed without burning a ton of gas or inhaling nauseus fumes. I've even napped in the truck with it on, no harm done.
-The electric torque's power is noticeable and awesome.
-Generator has many uses...I've used it twice to power a campsite tailgate party (streamed UFC fights on a big TV + speakers)

I am interested in seeing what Toyota comes out with on the 2022 Tundra, but they have been very tight lipped about information. I can't help but wonder if Ford has been so forward thinking with their Powerboost on the productivity department, that Toyota has choses to not reveal much about their platform. For example...will it have a competitor to Pro Power? Ford is obviously very proud of that feature (as they should be), and announced it a year before the truck came out. The 2021 Tundra's are being tooled down and the 2022's are about to be under production for the end of this year, and we hardly even know what it looks like.

My only main concern is Ford dealerships. This is first gen tech, many of us have had issues (including myself). And yet, we still love these trucks. I feel that says a lot. The main problem are not the issues, it's Ford dealers being shit. Vet your dealer very, very carefully. And get an extended warranty.
Your concerns are why I’m on the forum. I didn’t trust then way back to diagnose my 03 Terminator, much less anything built in the last 5 years.

These days, I can’t even get them to put the right oil in. Or my 2013 SHO EB, to the service writer I say, FULL SYNTHETIC and what is says on the little oil filler cap sir (the recommended oil). Even go as far as to say, it’s 5w 30 now, not 5w20. Not 5w 20 like all 99-2010ish motors sir. Later I walked back there as he was putting the 6th quart of 5W 20 in, and I said “hey I believe these newer ones recommend 5w 30”. So we had to drain it all out and start again.

Not to mention the time the Ford dealership performed the fuel pump recall on the 2013 SHO and forgot to connect the filler neck back to the fuel tank (after he performed the recall the “crappy quick way” through the back seat floor board holes, which I requested NOT to happen).

So, I dumped 15 gallons of gasoline underneath the car at the gas station that day. I wish it would have burned. Lol. Because they were not friendly when taking care of the fix, because I refused to bring it back to them to fix, so they had to pay a different dealer. I was at 5 miles to empty, and couldn’t make it back to their place because I couldn’t put gas in my car. Reasonable argument I think.

Pretty sure those are two rookie items when it comes to vehicles, and that was in 2016, so again I don’t trust Ford dealerships to work on anything nowadays.

So, if that is giving you cold feet, then run. Lol. I love Ford products after they come off the assembly line, because things are usually right. After too many unskilled technicians have been under the hood, I don’t have a lot of faith, because sometimes they cause more problems than good.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
As far as Toyota, I believe they are tight lipped because they don't know what to do and are scrambling!

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Hah, you sound like me 3 weeks ago. I waited 7 months for my custom build to arrive. Platinum 701A PowerBoost 4x4 5.5' bed / Trailer Tow package. I had cold feet, we just got a Mach-E and that made me wonder about just waiting for a Lightning. I decided to go ahead and pick it up. You can't take money to your grave. I do like it a lot, while I usually keep vehicles for ~15, I might only keep this for about 5 or maybe just a year if the Lightning is good and trade ins are still good. I am glad I bought it. I get about 22mpg with mine. I do have a $1099 payment, though at 1.99% financing I decided not to put half down as planned. I might just pay off my house that is at 3.75% or pay off my wife's student loans or just buy a boat.

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I will also add that 3 years ago I was in the same boat when I bought my first Lariat 502a high... wasn't quite sure i wanted to drop $60K+ on a truck. But I loved it so much I didn't think twice about buying my new PowerBoost.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
To echo @UGADawg96:

Ford F-150 Getting cold feet about buying a 2021 PowerBoost 6317D451-DA63-4E0E-96D7-52AD126D3E57

I had the exact same thoughts during my seven month waiting process.

Hell, I was thinking it as I was sitting on the off-ramp from the interstate to turn into my dealer to take delivery of my F-150. My justification process was that I was fortunate enough to afford it, and I had not had a new, or even different vehicle, since 2007. My truck was the epitome of what I wanted in a new vehicle since I custom ordered it. Truth is, I’d been wanting something like this F-150 since I was a little kid!

I had all those “what-ifs”, and “what about X?” as well. I was confident in my research and leg work that I put in beforehand and knew that it was the vehicle for me! You have to be able to say the same for yourself, but it is a balance. I could sit for weeks and months scrutinizing all the agonizing details (which I did), but there comes a certain point you just gotta pick and commit!

I can say I’m very happy with mine, and I’d say the safe bet is that you will be too with yours! Hope this helps! ? ?

Ford F-150 Getting cold feet about buying a 2021 PowerBoost 29975D17-00B9-4AA9-A09E-7678C005C0F2

Ford F-150 Getting cold feet about buying a 2021 PowerBoost 9B0A8C72-51DC-4C6C-A9E1-7F5755946D92

Last edited:

KielerFarms

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-150 waiting on 2021
Occupation
Beef farmer
If the money is stressing you out decide what you need vs want. and how bad you want those wants. Also you may save considerable amounts on a lightly used truck esp on the higher trims. Personally I'd rather have a moderate level truck and trade it every 4-5 years.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The only reason why you are second guessing yourself is because that's what sensible people do. The F-150 might seem extravagant at first until it's compared with the competition. The Lariat trim is also the best price point when it comes to standard equipment. Compared to what the XL comes with and its base price, Lariat is a bargain! Not to mention, you can't get Powerboost unless you get the XLT. The base Powerboost is $47,000 but it's pretty spartan and once a few options are checked off, you are approaching Lariat prices which is exactly what Ford is doing with their trim level shell games.

I looked at used trucks for two years before ordering my truck, since I didn't want my last truck but had to get it because it was a pretty good deal. I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to trucks and I looked at every brand. My previous truck was a Silverado and before that I had Dodge and Chevy full size vans and my first truck was a Dodge Dakota, which was the perfect size but rusted into oblivion in the Northeast.

For my current truck, I concluded that I wouldn't find any good deals on used trucks and would have to go new. 72-120 month loans are inflating the used market along with conventional dealers and now online and mega chain used car sales resulting in preposterous used truck prices. So last year, I ordered a 2021 F-150 and even though I have had it almost half a year, I am still wondering if I made the right choice and spent some time fooling around with Ford's configuration tool and the results are pretty much the same.

Long story short, don't second guess yourself and enjoy your new truck!

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I was in the same boat. I actually already had a 2020 Lariat super cab. It was the base lariat with max tow. The truck ran beautiful and was easy on the eyes as well. But I found myself hating the suicide doors more and more. I also had the split bench seat with the column shifter which was never used. I never sat a third person in the front. The icing on the cake was trying to stiff my grandkids in the back with a car seat, forget it.

I actually started looking for a 2020 lariat leftover because I was not sold on the looks of the new design. But then I started paying closer attention to the details and saw a few more on the road. I finally test drove a PB XLT and I was sold right then and there.
Now I knew I had to have one. So began the painful search for what I wanted. Leather interior, PB and super crew were the most important. Then came adaptive cruise, and the idea of on board generator intrigued me. Add to that the B&O Unleashed option, and I quickly realized that I was going to approach $70k to get what I wanted.
I could not find the exact configuration that I wanted, and I was not wanting to wait 6 months for a factory build. I knew right now was prime time to get max value for my trade. We’ll as it turned out my closest dealership just happened to have a lariat PB 502A with max tow and the B&O unleashed. It also had the sunroof, power tailgate with steps. I could take or leave the sun roof, but now I am so glad that I got that. I do like the panoramic view. The only thing that I don’t like is the darn chrome package. Just too much bling for my taste. However, it has grown on me, and it does go well with the smoked quartz paint. I do see myself doing mirror skins and something with the door handles. I’ll leave the rest.
anyway, I kept saying the same thing, $70k really? Do I want to spend this much? It’s freakin crazy money!
well, I got 500 less than what I paid for my 2020 with 15k miles on it. It was I. Mint condition, but still, recouping your total purchase price is unheard of. Couple that with X-plan pricing, and my 70k truck was suddenly becoming affordable. I had a fair amount of equity with my trade, and with 1.9% Ford financing, I’m only paying about $600 month for 5 yes.
And you know what? For the first time in my life, I drive down the road with no regrets or additional wants. I feel like I have the best truck on the road in my region and I do not have to say to myself, ohI wish I got this or that as an option. I have it all, and then some. And the feeling is f’n phenomenal! No regrets at all! I am giddy over it. My two best times of the day are my drive into work and my drive home. I even take the scenic routes just to get a few more minutes behind the wheel. Ford hit the mark with this baby. American ingenuity at its finest!
go ahead, get it and live while you’re alive.

Sponsored

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired
In 8 days I take delivery on a 2021 F-150 PB Platinum Super-crew. Reading your story I empathize with what you are going thru. I also found my truck by searching dealer inventory.

My opinions are based on owning two electric Ford Rangers (1999 & 2001) ,two 2006 Ford Escape Hybrids 4x4, and a 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 w/ tow pack. I live 20 miles south of Erie PA so I have to deal with multiple steep grades and winter road salt, which is very corrosive. The winter range for the older electric trucks is a maximum of 60 miles, which is not enough range to go to town, shop, and safely return home. The two hybrid Escapes still have original hybrid batteries, still get 28-30 mpg, even with 4x4 mode through snow. Both have over 150,000 miles and both have had major structural damage and repairs despite annual Fluid Film rust proofing. The 2021 F150 Powerboost has an aluminum body and, according to my body shop friends, should be more tolerant of salt. I expect the new 2021 F-150 PB to be even better than my two 15 year old Escape Hybrids. The upgrades that Ford might add in the future could be to offer the Independent Rear Suspension, as in the Expedition, and a larger battery pack-neither of those would make me regret not waiting. Like you, I am apprehensive about spending 70k for a truck. However, after doing a lot of research about the 2021 F-150 PB Platinum Super-crew, I expect to keep and enjoy it for years to come. In short, I believe you will be happy with your new purchase.

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This community is amazing and I'm so glad I joined! Thanks for the responses so far. Based on the request here is the VIN for the one I have a deposit on 1FTFW1ED4MFB85246.
The window sticker would also be great to easily see options.

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Wow. 2000 Ranger EV?!?!?

Why did I not know about this?
See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV
And here: http://rvtechstop.com/styled-3/index.html

In that period of time, California legislated that manufacturers would have to offer a percentage of zero emission vehicles in order to sell any vehicles in the state. Ford made the Ranger EV (with then currently available techology), and GM made the Chevy S10 EV (using old technology). After the laws were changed, Ford recalled the EVs and began crushing them. Some people who had them protested and refused to return them. Because some dealers used incorrect lease documents which allowed purchase at end of lease, Ford relented and created a lottery program so people could get the trucks but Ford would no longer support them. Many are still around and there is a forum group somewhere for owners.
Sponsored