First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tremor 402A VB, 2018 4Runner TRD OR
Occupation
IT
Just saw this and went out and checked. In this tiny ass little print on the tire:
Plies Sidewall: 2 Polyester.

I had no idea. I thought I was getting an actual tire on this and not something off of a Fisher Price kids toy. Definite failure on my part though for not fully inspecting the tire and reading the fine print. I just went to the GG website and looked up the specs of the ATx and called it good. I now consider myself lucky after logging all those miles offroad in the Comb Ridge area of Utah the day after we took delivery. Time to get rid of this sorry chunk of rubber and put something worth a damn on them. My plan was to wait until the ATx were worn and replace with KO2s but I already have 3 Overlanding trips planned including one over New Years Eve through Lippincott Pass in Death Valley so not a chance in hell I am risking it with these.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yeti

Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ether Graboid
On a positive note, they are super light spares so you can take 5 and two cans of starter fluid with you.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Just saw this and went out and checked...
I think that the Tremor OEM tire situation is enough of a big deal to bring to the attention to some of the automotive news outlets that aren't total shills for the manufacturers.

It's one thing to need to drop $1K plus on tires for a brand new off-road oriented truck. It another thing entirely to think that it was outfitted with off-road tires and discover that they're custom 'Lite' versions.

https://generaltire.com/sites/default/files/tires/files/GT19_Grabber_ATx_ProductFlyer_v2_Print.pdf

I believe that the LT E load rated versions are also 2-ply, however the thickness and weight of the tire generally is higher when comparing light duty to heavy duty tires. Which only seems natural.

Has anyone compared weight or stock numbers of the OEM tires? The tire information should be with warranty booklets.

Iperkwvu

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 f150
Interesting, I found this thread because I was looking at this exact tire to replace my old set for my level’d 2017 (not a tremor).

I think it fits my needs… I don’t have any planned off-road use, meets payload and towing specs, lighter weight, better MPG and heard good things about road noise. For towing, I’ve got tow a car hauler & Jeep TJ.

mdax

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
While there are a ton of solid offroad options.

What's the consensus on a quality tire that is close to the oem, good milage and quiet, but not such a thin sidewall?

Sponsored

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Occupation
Hvac
While there are a ton of solid offroad options.

What's the consensus on a quality tire that is close to the oem, good milage and quiet, but not such a thin sidewall?
The same tire just with an “E” rating load range

OP
OP
Yeti

Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ether Graboid
Interesting, I found this thread because I was looking at this exact tire to replace my old set for my level’d 2017 (not a tremor).

I think it fits my needs… I don’t have any planned off-road use, meets payload and towing specs, lighter weight, better MPG and heard good things about road noise. For towing, I’ve got tow a car hauler & Jeep TJ.
Yeah, other than their off road ruggedness, I've been pretty pleased with them on the street. Good water sheeting, reasonably quiet and comfortable. The couple trips in the snow were good, too.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Then don't sell it for something it isn't intended for. I think they refer to that as an FX4.
The point is still that if the 5 minutes it took me to write the PSA saves even one person from having a miserable day, it was time well spent.
The quad cab only should tell you its not intended to be an off road monster. Who does serious off roading in a quad cab?

If they were serious, the Raptor with be a RCSB, at least offered as an option.

I would bet 80% of raptors never leave the pavement. So the SL is fine for 80% of the customers.

OP
OP
Yeti

Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ether Graboid
The quad cab only should tell you its not intended to be an off road monster. Who does serious off roading in a quad cab?

If they were serious, the Raptor with be a RCSB, at least offered as an option.

I would bet 80% of raptors never leave the pavement. So the SL is fine for 80% of the customers.
Allow me to educate you. I do serious off-roading in a quad cab and have for the better part of 19 years. While a smaller cab and wider truck may be an option for you, it isn't an option for me.

If your opinion is that the Tremor isn't meant to go off-road, I suppose you should probably take that up with Ford 's marketing and engineering departments. Or if you're basically calling 20% (or is it 80%?) of the people in this group schmucks, this may be a good time to reevaluate your choice in forums.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Allow me to educate you. I do serious off-roading in a quad cab and have for the better part of 19 years. While a smaller cab and wider truck may be an option for you, it isn't an option for me.

If your opinion is that the Tremor isn't meant to go off-road, I suppose you should probably take that up with Ford 's marketing and engineering departments. Or if you're basically calling 20% (or is it 80%?) of the people in this group schmucks, this may be a good time to reevaluate your choice in forums.
Whatever dude.

Sponsored

WrongRecRoom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor 401A
I’m with you on this.
Are these grabbers better than what you get on an FX4? Absolutely.
Are there better tire options out there? Absolutely.

it never ceases to amaze me how much people moan and complain about vehicles not matching their exact needs from factory. If ford put full on AT tires on any truck they would never hear the end of road noise, wear, and mpg complaints.

My TRD Off Road Tacoma came with Goodyear Wrangler “off road adventure” tires, they were trash. With that experience I see these grabbers as a decent factory tire for MOST owners. Will I upgrade? Probably, but I certainly won’t whine about it.

OP
OP
Yeti

Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Ether Graboid
I’m with you on this.
Are these grabbers better than what you get on an FX4? Absolutely.
Are there better tire options out there? Absolutely.

it never ceases to amaze me how much people moan and complain about vehicles not matching their exact needs from factory. If ford put full on AT tires on any truck they would never hear the end of road noise, wear, and mpg complaints.

My TRD Off Road Tacoma came with Goodyear Wrangler “off road adventure” tires, they were trash. With that experience I see these grabbers as a decent factory tire for MOST owners. Will I upgrade? Probably, but I certainly won’t whine about it.
Yeah, not sure what to tell you. My F250s, Raptor and both Rebel and Power Wagon all came with E rated tires. I also wouldn't expect my mountain bike to come with 45mm slicks.

My point still stands. If even one person skips the annoyance of shredding a tire they assumed was meant to handle more than it is, I'm cool with that.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, not sure what to tell you. My F250s, Raptor and both Rebel and Power Wagon all came with E rated tires. I also wouldn't expect my mountain bike to come with 45mm slicks.

My point still stands. If even one person skips the annoyance of shredding a tire they assumed was meant to handle more than it is, I'm cool with that.
Yes, all super duties/power wagons come with E rated tires, becaue you know, super duty. 3/4 ton trucks need tougher tires. 1/4 ton trucks dont have the payload to require E rated tires. You are comparing 3/4 ton truck tires to 1/2 ton tires.

So in your mind, 1 person not "shredding tires" makes more sense than 80% of the customers complaining about ride and mpg?

Makes no sense.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran

Not sure what Gen raptor you owned but the set of Raptor take offs I have are actually C rated not E rated. So they actually did the same thing with the raptor, they made BF Goodrich make the K02s in C rated to save some weight vs the regular E rated tire that existed already. The Raptor is the highest offroad equipped trim Ford offers and even that doesn’t come with E rated tires so I’m not surprised they put SL on the tremor. From a manufacturer standpoint it makes more sense to put the lightest tires possible for better MPGs on a mass produced truck that a lot of people don’t offroad hardcore vs putting an E rated tire that severely hurts their MPG rating for a few that actually use these trucks to their limits. In my opinion Ford can easily solve this by offering an upgrade to E rated tires for the price difference in the build and price like they already do with LT tires.

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
Ford I dont think would never offer an option for an E rated tire option in this model vehicle. That alone would open a can of worms and complaints regarding MPG drops and tire noise, ride quality, etc. Its easier for them to offer the lighter tire in the SL rating to get decent results and maintain MPG ratings that are within range of other manufacturers and EPA standards. The aftermarket industry is vast with options to satisfy everyone. You just have to dig deeper to the standards of where and how you play.
I for one am satisfied with the SL rated Grabber. I replaced the Goodyear Wranglers with the General Grabber. I am mainly highway, back country roads, lots of snow and rain. The Generals are a better tire then the Goodyears for sure, and will replace them again when the time comes.
Like many do for dirt bikes, they buy a bike and within a few months start replacing tires for how they ride. No different here. I am glad they offer this tire as an SL @45#, the E rated is I think 58#. Way too much for a 1/4 ton truck in my opinion but time will tell. There are not many options for a 33" tire that is somewhat aggressive in tread design thats well under 50# and not an E rated tire.
Sponsored